Thread: friction between members and mods/management

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Default friction between members and mods/management

Hi All,

Have been reading a good few threads recently relating to unhappiness with the way things have been going here.

Some of the threads/posts have been thinly disguised comments by ordinary (sometimes very well respected) posters relating to the handling of some of their posts and expressing a grievance about their view that their comments have resulted in some heavy handed criticism and/or threats from mods/management. Some of the posts have been from mods/management (including Patricia) bemoaning the fact that they feel that some of the posters have "gone off on one" (my best attempt at a single phrase summary of the frustrations expressed)

I have made some comments in the past about the fact that this is a community and that the mods/management should respect the members as they are the lifeblood of the site and that the ongoing commercial success of the site (measured by the ability to continue to attract large number of advertisers) is dependent on keeping the members interested in being part of the site and continuing to post and/or review....

I continue to hold that view, however, I was thinking over the past few days that this is actually a two way street. Because we are all human and have feelings and egos and consequently sometimes quite subjective views, we can ALL take things personally sometimes when with a bit of thought, we might see both points of view....

My simple suggestion is that we all try to be a (tiny) bit more objective. By that I mean that we all should try as hard as we can to respect the opposite point of view so that we have some chance of avoiding some of the friction that inevitably results from us "getting up on our high horse". I know I have been guilty of that in the past and I am sure I will be guilty of it again in the future, but I will TRY to be just a small bit more objective.

The net result of that (I believe) will be a place where we can all have more fun and less people being pissed off and leaving for the wrong reasons.

Does anyone agree with anything above?

BLD

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigladdub For This Useful Post:

benin (11-08-10), Cable87 (11-08-10), JAMESCORK (11-08-10), Lucy Chambers (11-08-10), Patricia (11-08-10), vampirejackie (12-08-10)