Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Water Damage!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North Korea
    Posts
    16,828
    Reviews
    57

    Default Water Damage!

    I'm just putting this up here because it may be obvious to most but it is amazing how often I get asked this.
    If you spill fluid on your Laptop or drop your phone in water, do not try and turn it back on to see if it is still working, plug it out, and pull the battery out of it and leave it in a dry warm place for a few DAYS to dry out completely, or a hairdryer would speed up the process on a phone, laptop would still need some extra drying time. The damage is done when the water shorts the circuits with electrical current running through them. If your phone is still working I would advise you to still turn it off, pull the battery out and dry it completely before attempting to turn it back on. iPhone is particularly susceptible to water damage because the battery is not protected inside them like it is on other phones.
    I know it's obvious but just because it doesn't give fireworks when dropped in water like a toaster would doesn't mean the electrical current won't effect the delicate circuitry in a phone/laptop.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

    Dirty Harry (11-08-10), Lucy Chambers (11-08-10), sexyfukka (11-08-10)

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    ......... and no texting over the toilet bowl
    Last edited by Doozer; 11-08-10 at 12:24.
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,512
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    I'm just putting this up here because it may be obvious to most but it is amazing how often I get asked this.
    If you spill fluid on your Laptop or drop your phone in water, do not try and turn it back on to see if it is still working, plug it out, and pull the battery out of it and leave it in a dry warm place for a few DAYS to dry out completely, or a hairdryer would speed up the process on a phone, laptop would still need some extra drying time. The damage is done when the water shorts the circuits with electrical current running through them. If your phone is still working I would advise you to still turn it off, pull the battery out and dry it completely before attempting to turn it back on. iPhone is particularly susceptible to water damage because the battery is not protected inside them like it is on other phones.
    I know it's obvious but just because it doesn't give fireworks when dropped in water like a toaster would doesn't mean the electrical current won't effect the delicate circuitry in a phone/laptop.
    I have lost a phone or two due the scourge of water.....
    I have lived a life of regrets.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Water is a conducter.
    If water gets into an electronic device and two components in that device are connected by the water.
    this will result in a circuit between these components.
    This undesigned circuit can result in unexpected function or even the destruction of the device.
    electronic devices should be kept dry and water free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •