Thread: friction between members and mods/management

Reviews

Default friction between members and mods/management

Hi All,

Have been reading a good few threads recently relating to unhappiness with the way things have been going here.

Some of the threads/posts have been thinly disguised comments by ordinary (sometimes very well respected) posters relating to the handling of some of their posts and expressing a grievance about their view that their comments have resulted in some heavy handed criticism and/or threats from mods/management. Some of the posts have been from mods/management (including Patricia) bemoaning the fact that they feel that some of the posters have "gone off on one" (my best attempt at a single phrase summary of the frustrations expressed)

I have made some comments in the past about the fact that this is a community and that the mods/management should respect the members as they are the lifeblood of the site and that the ongoing commercial success of the site (measured by the ability to continue to attract large number of advertisers) is dependent on keeping the members interested in being part of the site and continuing to post and/or review....

I continue to hold that view, however, I was thinking over the past few days that this is actually a two way street. Because we are all human and have feelings and egos and consequently sometimes quite subjective views, we can ALL take things personally sometimes when with a bit of thought, we might see both points of view....

My simple suggestion is that we all try to be a (tiny) bit more objective. By that I mean that we all should try as hard as we can to respect the opposite point of view so that we have some chance of avoiding some of the friction that inevitably results from us "getting up on our high horse". I know I have been guilty of that in the past and I am sure I will be guilty of it again in the future, but I will TRY to be just a small bit more objective.

The net result of that (I believe) will be a place where we can all have more fun and less people being pissed off and leaving for the wrong reasons.

Does anyone agree with anything above?

BLD

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigladdub For This Useful Post:

benin (11-08-10), Cable87 (11-08-10), JAMESCORK (11-08-10), Lucy Chambers (11-08-10), Patricia (11-08-10), vampirejackie (12-08-10)

Blog Entries

Well said. I agree. I've even suggested it before.........

Good luck.......
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

4. The Following User Says Thank You to luther For This Useful Post:

vampirejackie (12-08-10)

Reviews

Luther,

I would go a bit further and say that if we (the members) want to continue to enjoy the site, that I believe it is an imperative for us to take a minute before reacting to each other OR the mods/management.

However, that must be accompanied by less heavy handed moderation of the site.

I know it must be massively frustrating to not jump down on posts where they are perceived to be mischievous... however, that is the mark of good management.... trying to find the middle ground...

If I were to offer a suggestion on that point, it would be that to be a good mod or manager it would be that one has to supend their own opinion and strive to be objective.

If the mods and management try to do that a bit more, then we, the members, have to show appreciation by trying to do something similar...

BLD

Reviews

I agree BLD - very wise words indeed..
    I certainly have a tendency to "go off on one" from time to time but you're right a bit more objectivity would probably serve me much better..

I shall endeavour in the future to heed your wise words..
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

Reviews

Punterminator,

Thanks a million for that. I was really hoping that my two cents worth would be taken on board and better again that it would provoke a comment or two... so cheers mate

BLD

Great post, and very well said.

As one of the Forum Managers, we are trying to improve things so that there is this greater Objectivity. Me and Sam have been working with the Mods, to try and give them better guidelines etc to work with to ensure that everyone is treated in a fair and consistent way. This of course will take time to settle down, as change always is something that people fear, but the changes we are doing are for the good of the site.
    We DO value every member on the site, and we are very well aware that you guys and gals are what make the site what it is, but we also have to remember that we cannot allow small groups of people to over run the site with their opinions and propoganda at winding up others. Being a manager / moderator on a site such as this is not an easy job, and there are going to be times when the members dont agree with us, but we DO listen to what you guys say and take that into account, and try and improve our working practices. You ARE the customer and we DO value you all, so help us to help you keep this site as a great place to be and express ourselves, without getting into all the petty arguements that come up time and time again.
    As in life if you dont get on with someone, avoid having things to do with them, be professional and the bigger person. We can all take jokes, but getting personal, is not the way to go.

Lets have fun guys and gals, thats what life is for, its too short to be constantly battling with each other.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by bigladdub View Post
    Hi All,

Have been reading a good few threads recently relating to unhappiness with the way things have been going here.

Some of the threads/posts have been thinly disguised comments by ordinary (sometimes very well respected) posters relating to the handling of some of their posts and expressing a grievance about their view that their comments have resulted in some heavy handed criticism and/or threats from mods/management. Some of the posts have been from mods/management (including Patricia) bemoaning the fact that they feel that some of the posters have "gone off on one" (my best attempt at a single phrase summary of the frustrations expressed)

I have made some comments in the past about the fact that this is a community and that the mods/management should respect the members as they are the lifeblood of the site and that the ongoing commercial success of the site (measured by the ability to continue to attract large number of advertisers) is dependent on keeping the members interested in being part of the site and continuing to post and/or review....

I continue to hold that view, however, I was thinking over the past few days that this is actually a two way street. Because we are all human and have feelings and egos and consequently sometimes quite subjective views, we can ALL take things personally sometimes when with a bit of thought, we might see both points of view....

My simple suggestion is that we all try to be a (tiny) bit more objective. By that I mean that we all should try as hard as we can to respect the opposite point of view so that we have some chance of avoiding some of the friction that inevitably results from us "getting up on our high horse". I know I have been guilty of that in the past and I am sure I will be guilty of it again in the future, but I will TRY to be just a small bit more objective.

The net result of that (I believe) will be a place where we can all have more fun and less people being pissed off and leaving for the wrong reasons.

Does anyone agree with anything above?

BLD
    A well written post and i completely agree with you.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by vampirejackie View Post
    Great post, and very well said.

As one of the Forum Managers, we are trying to improve things so that there is this greater Objectivity. Me and Sam have been working with the Mods, to try and give them better guidelines etc to work with to ensure that everyone is treated in a fair and consistent way. This of course will take time to settle down, as change always is something that people fear, but the changes we are doing are for the good of the site.
    We DO value every member on the site, and we are very well aware that you guys and gals are what make the site what it is, but we also have to remember that we cannot allow small groups of people to over run the site with their opinions and propoganda at winding up others. Being a manager / moderator on a site such as this is not an easy job, and there are going to be times when the members dont agree with us, but we DO listen to what you guys say and take that into account, and try and improve our working practices. You ARE the customer and we DO value you all, so help us to help you keep this site as a great place to be and express ourselves, without getting into all the petty arguements that come up time and time again.
    As in life if you dont get on with someone, avoid having things to do with them, be professional and the bigger person. We can all take jokes, but getting personal, is not the way to go.

Lets have fun guys and gals, thats what life is for, its too short to be constantly battling with each other.

You don't have to shout, we DO believe you

11. The Following User Says Thank You to anon361 For This Useful Post:

vampirejackie (12-08-10)