Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: signs of an alcoholic!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    U really have to ask if someone sits who in a house for 2 months and just leaves the house to get
    more alcohol has a drink problem? If he was a lazy fucker (which he may also be) he would prob
    be just looking at TV or stay in bed not drinking himself stupid.
    I have personal experience of a family member who did something similar, although in his case when not drinking
    was very hard working, but he went on binges like this with varying frequency,ranging from 2 years on the dry to
    about 3 times a year. He used stock up take to the house and basically u could do nothing with him till he drank
    himself into a stupor,then we would take him somewhere to dry out . He was a gentleman when on the dry but
    then the cycle would repeat itself. The binges could last anything from 10 days to a month.
    The sad part it ultimately cost him his life at a young age. It wasnt from the lack of help or family support as he
    was greatly loved by the family, he was a single guy and was very genorous to his siblings and nephews and
    nieces etc and greatly loved in his community as a whole because he was great to elderly neighbours etc
    I suppose what it made the whole family realise that no matter how hard u try and what u do at the end of
    the day the main initative must come from the person himself
    Excellent post and I agree 100%.

It sounds to me that if this guy is now openly saying he is an alcoholic then maybe he is finally admitting that
    alcohol has him beaten. He sounds as if he is ready to throw in the towel and get help, I think the worst thing
    you can do right now is accuse him of using it as an excuse to get out of work.

The changes in his behaviour are fairly typical of an alkie unfortunately, look at Paul Gasgoine, once a brilliant
    footballer, now a mess, all through alcohol. He needs your support now more than ever, and even if he f**ks
    up again in the future, if you are a true friend then don't let him down, because you never know the hour or
    the minute when you'll need his help.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by CrackShotJack View Post
    so many spelling mistakes.
    thanks for that your right i do make spelling mistakes amigo i should take more care from now on cheers .........but at least i can punt two or three times every week if i want to have a nice day think i will have a cold beer now

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Maybe so. I grew up in a pub. I have seen ppl who could drink all week long yet could stop anytime they wanted to. Looking at them you would think that they couldn't stop and were alcoholics but they weren't. I have seen ppl drink a lot less than them but couldn't stop or give up at all.

Westside.
    Alcoholism is not defined by whether u can stop or start drinking, alcoholism is when drinking if having a detremental effect
    on ure life and those around u. If u spend all week in a pub drinking it effects alot of things, no 1 ure health ,ure finances
    and ure relationship with others, if u spend alot of time in the pub and go home to a family with alot of drink on u this has
    an awful effect on them ,u need not nessecarily be violent or belligerent,(while this would be common) but how can u expect
    a wife /partner or kids to have any quality time with u when ure loaded with drink.Im not even mentioning the example it sets.
    Alcoholism is a very complex disease and the symptoms manifest themselves in very different ways in different people,there is
    no one person u can hold forward and say here is ure typical Alcoholic
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ber For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (10-08-10)

Blog Entries

Alcoholism is not defined by whether u can stop or start drinking, alcoholism is when drinking if having a detremental effect
    on ure life and those around u. If u spend all week in a pub drinking it effects alot of things, no 1 ure health ,ure finances
    and ure relationship with others, if u spend alot of time in the pub and go home to a family with alot of drink on u this has
    an awful effect on them ,u need not nessecarily be violent or belligerent,(while this would be common) but how can u expect
    a wife /partner or kids to have any quality time with u when ure loaded with drink.Im not even mentioning the example it sets.
    Alcoholism is a very complex disease and the symptoms manifest themselves in very different ways in different people,there is
    no one person u can hold forward and say here is ure typical Alcoholic
    Alcoholism to me is a person that has to have a drink. First thing in the morning they have to have a drink. Last thing at night they have to have a drink. They cant function without a drink. They cant stop drinking. I get what your saying but i have seen cases where what your saying didn't apply.

A lot of ppl confuse heavy drinkers with alcoholics.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 10-08-10 at 14:26.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Alcoholism to me is a person that has to have a drink. First thing in the morning they have to have a drink. Last thing at night they have to have a drink. They cant function without a drink. They cant stop drinking. I get what your saying but i have seen cases where what your saying didn't apply.

A lot of ppl confuse heavy drinkers with alcoholics.

Westside.
    In practice a heavy drinker is whats known as a functional Alcoholic, because when anything of note be it a stressful situation
    or a celabatory one their first port of call is Alcohol and even though they wont admit it or people on the outside looking in dont
    often see it, alcohol has a leading role in their lives
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

In practice a heavy drinker is whats known as a functional Alcoholic, because when anything of note be it a stressful situation
    or a celabatory one their first port of call is Alcohol and even though they wont admit it or people on the outside looking in dont
    often see it, alcohol has a leading role in their lives
    True i agree with that but i have known heavy drinkers who could stop drinking anytime they wanted to.

Westside.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

True i agree with that but i have known heavy drinkers who could stop drinking anytime they wanted to.

Westside.
    Ah yes they could stop, but they started again ,the country is full of Alcoholics who have stopped drinking but they are always
    only a drink away from the merry go round. This is very like the old tradition of giving up drink for Lent, many heavy drinkers used
    do this, but what most wouldnt tell u yes they gave it up but they were counting the days, hours and minutes until they were back
    on it again. Most likely the night they went back they got pissed. Also Paddys day u got a free pass, if drink didnt mean so much to
    them why drink that day?
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

The clinical definition for an alcoholic is one whose life is disrupted in any department (social, financial, work or recreation) by alcohol. It is not just the amounts that are taken into considerations but also the reasons and when the effects of the alcohol are as serious as the reasons, usually depression but there are many other ones, then the prevailing condition is referred to as alcoholism.
    To the original poster of this tread.................it's an illness, a nightmare for those going through it and a hell for those who have to live with and deal with them.
    One of the easiest way to discover an alcoholic, but not the only or definite way, is they will lie about their drinking........the amount or where they were drinking and how much their drinking is costing...............the lie will be there.

Hope this helps the original poster and anyone else who may have to deal with an alcoholic.

Magicman
    Last edited by Magicman; 10-08-10 at 16:36.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magicman For This Useful Post:

ber (10-08-10), stickytoffee10 (10-08-10)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Magicman View Post
    The clinical definition for an alcoholic is one whose life is disrupted in any department (social, financial, work or recreation) by alcohol. It is not just the amounts that are taken into considerations but also the reasons and when the effects of the alcohol are as serious as the reasons, usually depression but there are many other ones, then the prevailing condition is referred to as alcoholism.
    To the original poster of this tread.................it's an illness, a nightmare for those going through it and a hell for those who have to live with and deal with them.
    One of the easiest way to discover an alcoholic, but not the only or definite way, is they will lie about their drinking........the amount or where they were drinking and how much their drinking is costing...............the lie will be there.

Hope this helps the original poster and anyone else who may have to deal with an alcoholic.

Magicman
    Thank u magic man that is my point exactly,anybody that drinks heavily will without exxception fit into one or more of the
    above categories
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Reviews

i havent had a drink for 3 years 1 month 17 days so far but i'm an alcoholic.
    i think some of you are missing something.....there are many diffrent types of alcoholic.
    i'm the type that wont drink for months but when i do start i can dissappear for weeks at a time and when i do sober up i find my pockets empty bank account empty and cards all maxed out.
    then not think about drink for months again.
    this is my longest dry so far.....fingers crossed.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayf1 For This Useful Post:

ber (10-08-10), Dirty Harry (10-08-10), lonely (10-08-10)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast