Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fairness of Life

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    But I took solace in the thought that God only gives sick children to those who can handle it best.........
    I'm not getting at you here luther but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of bollocks that religious folk can come out with sometimes.

How on earth do you reconcile a belief in god with the notion that he would sit there thinking... "hmmm, what am I gonna do today? I know, let's give a little child a big fuck off brain tumour, now let me see... who can handle it best??"..
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    I think a walk up through the childrens cancer ward would do you the world of good. That wont be long telling you how good you actually have it.

Life to me is a series of challenges. By the way , i think 95% of the probelms in ppls lives are caused by themselves. Luck or fairness ot whatever else feels good to call it ,only accounts for the other 5%. Granted that 5% suck big time, i rather loose something trying then just tuck my tail and give up.

Westside.
    As usual u misintepret whats said, im not offering an opinion here or bitching about life im just stating a fact of what life
    is. U live 3 score and 10 and whether u live life well or badly the end is the same u die . The grim reaper makes no exceptions.
    And as for lifes burdens, u always cope with them and handle them as best u can because again uve no choice.
    Personally i dont really stress about anything as i dont really see the point what will be will be
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by punterminator View Post
    I'm not getting at you here luther but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of bollocks that religious folk can come out with sometimes.

How on earth do you reconcile a belief in god with the notion that he would sit there thinking... "hmmm, what am I gonna do today? I know, let's give a little child a big fuck off brain tumour, now let me see... who can handle it best??"..
    Yes, I appreciate that, but when you're in the position where you're newborn is on an operating table when that are less than 2 hours old, and something gives you comfort, is it not better that nothing???

Yes, of course you could say if there was a God then why would something like this ever happen, but that's life, and when you're in that position anything you can grasp onto is comfort is it not???
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luther For This Useful Post:

benin (09-08-10), Patricia (10-08-10)

Reviews

Yes, of course you could say if there was a God then why would something like this ever happen, but that's life, and when you're in that position anything you can grasp onto is comfort is it not???
    Just because something comforts you does not make it true.
    Personally, I find the thought that life is a sequence of random events and bad shit just happens far more comforting than the notion that there is some capricious magical sky creature randomly handing out brain tumours to new-born babies....
    Last edited by punterminator; 09-08-10 at 21:09.

Blog Entries

Yes, I appreciate that, but when you're in the position where you're newborn is on an operating table when that are less than 2 hours old, and something gives you comfort, is it not better that nothing???

a friend of mine and his wife had a baby daughter a few years back who was born premature and she died a week old. At the funeral he was distraught so we went for a walk down the road. What you say came up. He said he asked god for help. I said God gave him help.It took a few moments for what i said to sink in. If that child had survived she would have being in a pretty bad state and probably would have died young after suffering all the while so God did in fact help that child.

A person i know who was fairly religous and who lost her mother brought god up and the phrase in the bible about "he who believes a mountain will move and asks that mountain to move". I said that her mother did move mountains, for 8 weeks.

You see sometimes in life its what we dont do that helps. Its what is not in our best interests but is in the best interests of another thats best.

I never ask God for help because i think i would have some nerve to ask him / her but i do sit back knowing that whatever happens ,happens for the best and if i can change it i will, if i cant and its out of my control , i accept it. Acceptance is sometimes our greatest comfort.

Westside.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Westsidex For This Useful Post:

MrFussy (09-08-10)

Blog Entries

Just because something comforts you does not make it true.
    Personally, I find the thought that life is a sequence of random events and bad shit just happens far more comforting than the notion that there is some capricious magical sky creature randomly handing out brain tumours to new-born babies....
    Was a child of yours ever diagnosed with a brain tumour?

Westside.

Reviews

God doesn't give out brain tumours. He gives you the strength to cope when they (and other bad shit) happen. If you can handle it on your own, then good for you, but if you can't....

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    God doesn't give out brain tumours. He gives you the strength to cope when they (and other bad shit) happen. If you can handle it on your own, then good for you, but if you can't....
    Ah, so he's not omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent then? Has someone informed the pope?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    Was a child of yours ever diagnosed with a brain tumour?
    I don't see how that's any of your business or relevant to the point I was making.

Are you trying to say that if I had a child diagnosed with a brain tumour then I might find a belief in god comforting? Perhaps I would, however as a trained scientist and a lifelong atheist I rather doubt it.

In any case it would not make god any more true. My sister swears a Yakult every morning cured her IBS, it didn't....

Reviews

Ah, so he's not omnipotent, omniscient or omnipresent then? Has someone informed the pope?
    Doubt it. Here's his email should you wish to:

the_pope@vatican.va

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast