Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Dublin Taxi Drivers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    oh beautiful Meath!!
    Posts
    335
    Reviews
    5

    Default Dublin Taxi Drivers

    I heard on the radio the other day that in one of these surveys they found that Taxi Drivers in Dublin (not ireland, just dublin it said) Dublin taxi drivers came out 3rd in a survey of how courteous and mannerly and generall just how nice the taxi men of dublin are. I don't know who came second but i know that in first place was the black cab taxi drivers in London. The worst/rudest were in New York and in Paris, where as the worst drivers were those in Rome in Italy.
    Care to share some good or bad stories and to agree or disagree about this survey about how good, decent, helpful and mannerly our Dublin Taxi Drivers are??
    Last edited by Rod Stewart; 07-08-10 at 02:17.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cuntflaps
    Posts
    8,253
    Reviews
    10

    Default

    I've never had anything but sound lads driving the cabs in Dublin. Although, given the problems they're having with the government dicking around with their taxi plates, they're all militant as hell.

    Which I like

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    cork the real capital
    Posts
    5,553
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    83

    Default Age

    Quote Originally Posted by Mousey View Post
    I've never had anything but sound lads driving the cabs in Dublin. Although, given the problems they're having with the government dicking around with their taxi plates, they're all militant as hell.

    Which I like
    Yes i think this new regulation governing the fact that the vechicle cant be more than nine years old is pure crap.
    The age of a vechicle can be a very secondary thing regarding its condition. There are so many much more important
    factors ,mileage ,service history, the manner which it was driven and also different makes and models will depreciate
    at a different rate. For example many taxi drivers have older type mercs which will be more roomy and comfortable
    than many newer vechicles. If the vechicle passes its yearly test i see no reason why they should be made change it
    Just to make a total mockery of it the rule wont apply to wheelchair accessiable taxi's . I s this just another round
    about way to give a leg up to the motor industry ?
    Last edited by ber; 07-08-10 at 10:33.
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to ber For This Useful Post:

    nicegirlsarenice (07-08-10)

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    oh beautiful Meath!!
    Posts
    335
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Just to make a total mockery of it, the rule wont apply to wheelchair accessiable taxi's . Is this just another round
    about way to give a leg up to the motor industry ?
    Is that true that it doesn't apply to wheelchair accessable cars? I didn't know that. Thats fucking ridiculous. I agree with what you say about some lads having big cars like Merc's etc and i have seen a few of them with 97 98 and 99 reg plates on them and they are in fantastic condition, some better condition than other types of cars with 03 and 04 reg plates. Although alot of lads drive Toyota Avensis or Skoda Octavia or Volkswagen Passat as their taxi. If i had a choice of a 97 Mercedes or a 07 VW Passat or Avensis or Octavia i'd rather the Mercedes.

    Anyway on the original topic, i hae very rarely travelled with a Dublin Taxi man, but the times that i've been with them they seemed fine. Although i'll never forgive them for their protest, i forget whether it was early this year or late last year, when they blocked up O'Connell Street in Dublin for a couple of days ALL day, that was a fucking disaster. There shouldn't be one rule for one crowd and a different rule for others. And also the current day situation on O'Connell Street (around the Grsham Hotel) where they double-park alongside their buddies, they block the whole lane! Now thats just taking the piss.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    where ever i may roam
    Posts
    4,872
    Reviews
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
    I heard on the radio the other day that in one of these surveys they found that Taxi Drivers in Dublin (not ireland, just dublin it said) Dublin taxi drivers came out 3rd in a survey of how courteous and mannerly and generall just how nice the taxi men of dublin are. I don't know who came second but i know that in first place was the black cab taxi drivers in London. The worst/rudest were in New York and in Paris, where as the worst drivers were those in Rome in Italy.
    Care to share some good or bad stories and to agree or disagree about this survey about how good, decent, helpful and mannerly our Dublin Taxi Drivers are??
    yes i could never complain about dublin taxi drivers anytime i'm on the beer or going to a gig i always found dublin taxi drivers very helpful and good banter in the cab also mind you some of the taxi drivers are my mates anyway

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Yes i think this new regulation governing the fact that the vechicle cant be more than nine years old is pure crap.
    The age of a vechicle can be a very secondary thing regarding its condition. There are so many much more important
    factors ,mileage ,service history, the manner which it was driven and also different makes and models will depreciate
    at a different rate. For example many taxi drivers have older type mercs which will be more roomy and comfortable
    than many newer vechicles. If the vechicle passes its yearly test i see no reason why they should be made change it
    Just to make a total mockery of it the rule wont apply to wheelchair accessiable taxi's . I s this just another round
    about way to give a leg up to the motor industry ?
    No, it's to save lives on our roads.

    They'll always exploit people's deaths to make as much money as possible in whatever way they can, I think it's disgusting. They're even now going to be bringing in forced lessons for learner drivers costing hundreds of euro, under the guise of it saving our roads, it's all a big money-making scam.

    A huge amount of accidents occur not because of drink or drugs or bad driving or risk-taking, but because of BAD ROADS, which they'll of course never tell you about. The people who are investigating the conditions of the roads are usually the people who made and maintained the roads in the first place, they're hardly going to say it was a botched job.

    They know all they have to say is "help save lives" or sometimes "help the needy in society" and they can do ANYTHING.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    oh beautiful Meath!!
    Posts
    335
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    that report said that it was only Dublin taxi drivers that got the 3rd spot, but what about taxi men all over the country? Are they just as good or are they bad?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,512
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Stewart View Post
    that report said that it was only Dublin taxi drivers that got the 3rd spot, but what about taxi men all over the country? Are they just as good or are they bad?
    I have been in a few taxis in galway and i have nothing but praise for them..the ones i have come across have been sound anyways.....
    I have lived a life of regrets.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    oh beautiful Meath!!
    Posts
    335
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    i live in navan now and most of them are fairly sound anyway, but like any other place there's too many of them around but u can never get one when u bloody want one haha

    i had a bad experience with an Athlone taxi man back in january when i missed the bus from athlone to galway, i had come in from dublin but the bus breaks in athlone bus station for 10 mins, but when i came back the bus was pulling away and i missed it, but the thing is my bag was on the bus, so to cut long story short i told the inspector who said he wud ring galway bus station and the bag wil be taken off for me in galway and i'll have to wait in athlone for the next bus, but i went out and got a taxi to the next town of Ballinasloe, hoping i would've caught him there and got on the bus, 50 fucking quid the c**t charged me, off the meter, AND i still never caught him the bus! I was expecting it to be around 20-30,....{for anyone who is not familiar with the distance of Athlone to Ballinasloe, its about 20 mins drive in a car, 25 to 30 in a bus, 120 speed limit road, buses can only go 100kph - on motorways, 80kph on secondary roads, anyway so about 15-18 miles i'd say it is from Athlone to Ballinasloe}.....but when he said 50 i nearly died, but i was in too much a panic to do anything so i gave the bollox it and waited there for the next bus, 50 mins behind. i was fuckin sick, but i stil got my bag. Looking back i don't know why i did that, i should've stayed put in Athlone bus station and got that same bus there, the one that i got from ballinasloe to galway. Still fucking sick over it. 50 fresh one's gone to loss.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •