Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Off Topic

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by texas View Post
    The term thread can refer to a series of related postings in an online discussion. Web-based bulletin boards are made up of many topics, or threads. The replies posted in response to the original posting are all part of the same thread. I
    An off-topic post would be one that is differing from the topic or not relevant to the OP.
    Well that is what i thought but i have been told its not the case so i am awaiting confirmation from management
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Many threads go off the original topic. That doesn't mean they should be closed automatically.

And I am against being able to make a thread threatening to have it closed if it doesn't exactly follow the OP's "rules".

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    Many threads go off the original topic. That doesn't mean they should be closed automatically.

And I am against being able to make a thread threatening to have it closed if it doesn't exactly follow the OP's "rules".
    I'm against beastiality are you going to give that up and all ...

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post

Iam asking for clarity and consistency the rule is there for all to see, but the issue is just being fudged
    Well the OP created the thread if u dont like his rules u are quitte free not to post onit and create ure own thread
    Last edited by ber; 10-08-10 at 16:23.
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

I am going to merge this to the orginal discussion on off topic, as its the same thing and many points have already been made.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by vampirejackie View Post
    I am going to merge this to the orginal discussion on off topic, as its the same thing and many points have already been made.
    Well while ure merging can u answer the question i asked what is the boards definition of an off topic thread seeing as
    u obviously read the thread and i did request an answer from management
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

Ber to be honest I think you're taking the meaning of "off topic" a little to literal..........

IMO, the soap opera section was created for threads that decended into bolloxollogy, bickering and bullshit like that. Not necessarily threads that ended on a different topic to which they start. As I said, I think the onus is on all of us to try to keep threads on topic, or keep rubbish out of serious threads and subjects. If there are no rules being broken or the thread isn't decending in BS or fighting and is just running the normal course of conversation then I have no problem with it ending up on a different subject. It's just the way conversations go..........

Imaging sitting in the pub having a few pints with your friends and a bit of a chin wag, and you're all talking about a particular subject and then someone says "oh that reminds me" and he says something on a bit of a tangent, then someone else says "ya, that's a bit like" and it's gone off another tangent. Would members of the group say, hang on, stop, you can't talk about that, that's not what we were talking about a minute ago. Of course you wouldn't. It's converastion, it flows like that sometimes..........

To be honest, I think the description of the soap opera section isn't great. I wouldn't include "off topic" in the description.........

And as for the rule about going off topic, at the moment it states...........

Off Topic Posts
    Off topic posts are only allowed in our Soap Opera section.

Which is silly. You can't put an off topic post in the soap section. A post is part of a thread. It can't go into the soap section on it's own..............

I think something like..............

Off Topic
    Please refrain from taking threads off topic. Particularly serious subjects. Repeatedly dragging threads off topic will result in................

Or something like that would be more appropriate.........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luther For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (11-08-10), Lucy Chambers (10-08-10)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    To be honest, I think the description of the soap opera section isn't great. I wouldn't include "off topic" in the description.........

And as for the rule about going off topic, at the moment it states...........

Off Topic Posts
    Off topic posts are only allowed in our Soap Opera section.

Which is silly. You can't put an off topic post in the soap section. A post is part of a thread. It can't go into the soap section on it's own..............

I think something like..............

Off Topic
    Please refrain from taking threads off topic. Particularly serious subjects. Repeatedly dragging threads off topic will result in................

Or something like that would be more appropriate.........
    A rock of sense as usual , well done L

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516