Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Alex Higgins dies.....

Reviews

Maybe it was the drinking that made snooker an interesting sport back in higgins day coz its as boring as fuck now no real charactors maybe thats why ronnie is disallusioned with it . Maybe the new speed snooker comp will reinvigorate it

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Im not disputing any of this but i doubt if it made them better players, what u seem to be saying is that it was easier
    for him to play cause the rest of the guys on the field were after going on the piss aswell,
    I suppose what u are saying is that if u try it in todays game u will be found out much more quickly because the fitness
    levels of players and the intensity of the game has increased dramatically. The fact that ferguson tried to stop it proves
    i suppose how much it was affecting players performance
    Everything from drinking, eating and training habits have changed. The game is a lot faster and certain aspects are better now. Back then they played with a heavier ball on mud heap pitches. Of course drinking didn't make them better players but going for a drink in between training sessions or having a cigarette before a game was commonplace. Best was part of a culture but he was the big celebrity and everyone wanted to party with him.
    Alex Higgins was the same. He lived his life the way he played his snooker, with a swagger. He played shots nobody else would or could try. He lost games because he didn't resort to the constant safety tactics of lesser players. Negative tactics, as we saw in this World Cup, can make for a more level playing field. It's far easier to destroy than create.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

darts is gone the same lads - jesus when jocky wilson was playing bristow it was fucking sensational stuff
    Last edited by Alec Horan; 25-07-10 at 01:48.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    Maybe it was the drinking that made snooker an interesting sport back in higgins day coz its as boring as fuck now no real charactors maybe thats why ronnie is disallusioned with it . Maybe the new speed snooker comp will reinvigorate it
    I think what has really affected snooker is that basically we have wall to wall sport now on TV and a few balls on a table cant hold the attention of the masses compared to the other high speed fare on offer. Financially they are also finding sponsorship
    difficult aswell. Back in the 80s we say so little sport on TV our tongues were hanging out for something to watch, to be honest
    when snooker is on TV now u just flick in and out
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
    George Best played at the top level at United for 10 years. He was the first 'celebrity' footballer, when everyone wanted to be his friend, not mention the 'hangers-on'. A lot of those friends disappeared when things spiralled out of control.
    Alex Higgins won his first World Championship in 1972 and his 2nd in 1982, so he was in his 'sport' at the top level for 10 years. He was the brash, belligerent one that changed the image of snooker. His 'friends' behaved the same as Best's.
    Maradona singlehandledly won the World Cup for Argentina in 1986, and Napoli won the Scudetto in Italy because of him. How many times did he have to play with painkilling injections and other drugs to keep him going?
    They all had a bad streak because of addictions, which it is difficult for anyone else to really understand until you go through it yourself.
    Let's not forget the heroic deeds they all performed. I accept that they all did bad things in their personal lives but they were not in control of themselves because of their addictions.
    You cant compare Best with Higgins. Best realised his full potential as a soccer player but Higgins didnt come close to his as a snooker player. Higgins actually failed miserably as a snooker player because i think only one other player had more natural snooker ability and thats White. Higgins had the ability to win the championship multiple times like Davis, Hendry etc but never did because he never cam e close to playing as well as he could. He wasnt even consistent between frames in the same game let alone over a season.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 25-07-10 at 09:59.

Reviews

Legend!!!!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    You cant compare Best with Higgins. Best realised his full potential as a soccer player but Higgins didnt come close to his as a snooker player. Higgins actually failed miserably as a snooker player because i think only one other player had more natural snooker ability and thats White. Higgins had the ability to win the championship multiple times like Davis, Hendry etc but never did because he never cam e close to playing as well as he could. He wasnt even consistent between frames in the same game let alone over a season.

Westside.
    So are you saying that White is even more of a miserable failure as a snooker player as he never won the World Championship despite him having more natural ability than Higgins had?
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

Was so sad, this legend informed my youth with his style, genious and personality,something sadly missing in todays game,
    a flawed individual blighted by the curse of addiction, yet through this shone a brilliance and an honesty that could be seen time and time again...I for one will miss him...

Poggo........
    Some PPL mistake an attempt at reconciliation, as a personal attack or insult......

9. The Following User Says Thank You to poggo For This Useful Post:

Lucy Chambers (25-07-10)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    So are you saying that White is even more of a miserable failure as a snooker player as he never won the World Championship despite him having more natural ability than Higgins had?
    No i am saying that only White had more natural snooker ability than Higgins. What im getting at is depsite having the kind of natural ability he had ,he only managed to win two world championships and they were ten(????) years apart. Did Higgins ever get a 147? Something he easily had in him.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post

Westside.
    I think best never fufilled his vast talent and that is saying something.He was entering his prime at 27 when he left UTD and he declined quite rapidly after that playing for nothing clubs.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast