Thread: searching - why wait 30 seconds

Reviews

Default searching - why wait 30 seconds

ok this maybe a stupid question but what is the logic of having to wait 30 seconds before you can perform another search when looking for something?
    I know I can be impatient at the best of times, but when you search for something and don't find it it's a bit odd to have to wait to go looking again?

it might be just me - I've had a bad day today and I'm a bit irritated

Maybe EI's way of telling me to take it easy?
    Last edited by hornylimerick; 23-07-10 at 16:29. Reason: my bad spelling

Default Bandwidth

30 secs is to save bandwidth, it also enables for pages to be refreshed

Reviews

Yeah, I've said this before. Waiting 30 seconds between searches is pointless if you're a logged in user. The bandwidth savings are minimal. You have to have it like that for guest users, otherwise you are opening yourself up to a Denial of Service attack (where a bot repeatedly executes a search, slowing the site to a crawl).

There are lots more bandwidth hogging options enabled here (avatars, images in posts etc) so I guess they have plenty to spare.
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to punterminator For This Useful Post:

hornylimerick (23-07-10)

Quote Originally Posted by punterminator View Post
    Yeah, I've said this before. Waiting 30 seconds between searches is pointless if you're a logged in user. The bandwidth savings are minimal. You have to have it like that for guest users, otherwise you are opening yourself up to a Denial of Service attack (where a bot repeatedly executes a search, slowing the site to a crawl).

There are lots more bandwidth hogging options enabled here (avatars, images in posts etc) so I guess they have plenty to spare.
    no shite...i have no clue if this is english...punty mate can you translate that to stupid english just for me please?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by benin View Post
    no shite...i have no clue if this is english...punty mate can you translate that to stupid english just for me please?
    Yeah, sorry, I do that sometimes..
    Basically, when you search the forums you are then blocked from searching again for 30 seconds which is a pain in the ass.

The reason that sites (especially high traffic sites) do this is to limit the amount of searches that happen. Searches really put a load on the sites database (the big glob of stuff where all the threads are stored) so the people that run sites want to place a limit on this.

A denial of service attack is where a bot (some code written by nasty schoolboys designed to automatically do things on a site (named after robot)) can visit the search page and repeatedly hit the search button (like thousands of times a second), if this happens, the site's engines are so busy performing searches for the bot that the site can't do anything else (like display profiles of lovely ladies, or correct Westside's spelling). However, if the site limits the searches to one every 30 seconds then this type of attack can't happen.

My point is that logged in users shouldn't have this limit as bots generally won't be logged in. To prevent bots creating accounts to bypass this you can limit people to 5 searches a minute and disable their account if they repeatedly try to circumvent that.

This clear?
    Anything's a dildo if you're brave enough.