Thread: If I could change one thing..

Default If I could change one thing..

If I could rid the world of one bit of technology it would be the mobile phones. They are a scourge.

People walking around the streets like zombies texting and calling each other because they can't occupy themselves for a few minutes. I was sitting in my local last night and a couple at the bar were texting away and not paying any attention to each other. How miserable is that?

'Why didn't you answer? did you not get my text? why was your phone off?' I don't know how many relationships have been ruined in one way or another by the mobile phone.

Anyone ever had someone overtake them doing 90mph and sending a text?

I am I alone here?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    If I could rid the world of one bit of technology it would be the mobile phones. They are a scourge.

People walking around the streets like zombies texting and calling each other because they can't occupy themselves for a few minutes. I was sitting in my local last night and a couple at the bar were texting away and not paying any attention to each other. How miserable is that?

'Why didn't you answer? did you not get my text? why was your phone off?' I don't know how many relationships have been ruined in one way or another by the mobile phone.

I am I alone here?
    tis a bit sad what you described...and yet its everyday life now...maybe a day without mobiles would be interesting...

Reviews

He is right you know ...... leaving home without my mobile sends me into a sweat ..... you'd think I was a pikey sitting a maths exam !!

I used to be able to remember loads of phone numbers too but not now .....

Blog Entries

I am I alone here?
    Agree one billion %. Even your boss can phone you at home ffs. Mobiles made ppl too accessable. Ppl managed for years perfectly fine without them.In fact i reckon alot of business run into trouble because the boss spends half the day on the mobile.

Westside.

Westside.
    Last edited by Westsidex; 18-07-10 at 13:55.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Playing

The mobile phone is terriffic i couldnt run my buisness without it, I would not have access to a land line and times
    have changed so much that techonolgy has replaced labour units . Nowdays ure time is much more valuable and
    cant be wasted. I very rarely txt but do recieve alot of txts in relation to my buisness, all lab results etc are txted
    appointments, meetings , even have it set up so insurance companies etc send me reminders.
    What u are talking about is people playing with their phones sending stupid meanlingless txts
    so u can disregard that as just bored people having too much time on their hands.
    The amount of money my phone spares is huge, where i might lose time trying to meet people etc.
    As for being contactable outside office hrs its brilliant,all the sales reps etc i deal with i have a mobile for
    them,if they dont answer outside hours i wont deal with them again their choice and thats explained to them.
    Sur tis one of the upside of the recession if ure a customer now they all answer the phone to u.
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    The mobile phone is terriffic i couldnt run my buisness without it, I would not have access to a land line and times
    have changed so much that techonolgy has replaced labour units . Nowdays ure time is much more valuable and
    cant be wasted. I very rarely txt but do recieve alot of txts in relation to my buisness, all lab results etc are txted
    appointments, meetings , even have it set up so insurance companies etc send me reminders.
    What u are talking about is people playing with their phones sending stupid meanlingless txts
    so u can disregard that as just bored people having too much time on their hands.
    The amount of money my phone spares is huge, where i might lose time trying to meet people etc.
    As for being contactable outside office hrs its brilliant,all the sales reps etc i deal with i have a mobile for
    them,if they dont answer outside hours i wont deal with them again their choice and thats explained to them.
    Sur tis one of the upside of the recession if ure a customer now they all answer the phone to u.
    I guess it depends what business a person is in.

Westside.

Reviews

I hate mobiles and with the excpetion of using mine for punting it stays off - most of my friends are adicted to their phones and are very poor company as a result.

Reviews

I hate mobiles,i really do they make you far to acessable these days and most social network sites.ie facbook/bebo.....the more addicted you become to them the less 'social'they become.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post

My point was more on the social implications of phones.

People aren't making any effort anymore. No firm arrangements are made or followed through on, just flimsy plans that are subject to change on a whim, times, dates, venue etc.

We are learning the art of being totally non-committal and it's damaging.

Whatever happened to see you down the back of pub x at 8.30 and actually showing up? Now it's a dozen texts with a dozen reasons while you'll be late. I don't care, just show up.

Girls seem happier than men to text ad nauseum with the inevitable consequence that something will finally be miss-understood or miss-interpreted.

We all know what happens after that.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

My point was more on the social implications of phones.

People aren't making any effort anymore. No firm arrangements are made or followed through on, just flimsy plans that are subject to change on a whim, times, dates, venue etc.

We are learning the art of being totally non-committal and it's damaging.

Whatever happened to see you down the back of pub x at 8.30 and actually showing up? Now it's a dozen texts with a dozen reasons while you'll be late. I don't care, just show up.

Girls seem happier than men to text ad nauseum with the inevitable consequence that something will finally be miss-understood or miss-interpreted.

We all know what happens after that.
    Well i kinda covered that, thats just people with fuck all to do and amazingly they will complain about recession and price of stuff
    but plenty money to waste on phone credit
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero