Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Learner driver...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,713
    Reviews
    35

    Default Learner driver...

    Did you learn to drive young? Did you find it easy or did it take a while?
    The rule of thumb was a lesson for every year you had lived. I had 20 lessons while
    living in London. The first few lessons were tense, the instructor brought me out in
    rush hour traffic and gave me the sweats with pedestrians weaving through the queues.
    I changed instuctor 3 times because I found two a bit too moody-it must be a hard job
    though.

    Did you get the test first time? Second time for me. I really wanted to get my license
    (they dont allow people to drive without another full license holder over there).
    I was elated when told "you have passed the test" shaking the examiners hand for
    longer than he cared. Use of indicators is stressed over there (phychic ability is limited
    for some people). Although the examiner hands you a certificate of 'competence' to
    drive, driving requires on going care and attention and watch out for another prick
    who could ruin it all for you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    Did you learn to drive young? Did you find it easy or did it take a while?
    The rule of thumb was a lesson for every year you had lived. I had 20 lessons while
    living in London. The first few lessons were tense, the instructor brought me out in
    rush hour traffic and gave me the sweats with pedestrians weaving through the queues.
    I changed instuctor 3 times because I found two a bit too moody-it must be a hard job
    though.

    Did you get the test first time? Second time for me. I really wanted to get my license
    (they dont allow people to drive without another full license holder over there).
    I was elated when told "you have passed the test" shaking the examiners hand for
    longer than he cared. Use of indicators is stressed over there (phychic ability is limited
    for some people). Although the examiner hands you a certificate of 'competence' to
    drive, driving requires on going care and attention and watch out for another prick
    who could ruin it all for you!
    It came very easy for me for the car because i was driving motorbikes for years prior to that.I was used to the road nad speed and all of that , so when i got in a car it was just a matter of finding what worked. As for learning on the bike it came very easy because all my family drove bikes.

    Got the test first time in the car. Got it second time on the bike. Failed because the lights went red and i wheeled back behind the line again and he said i should have kept going. No wonder ppl die.

    I still drive both now,
    Westside.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    I had about 3 lessons and failed on the first go by 1( Was told if I was a woman I would have passed) took no lessons the second time and passed with flying colours
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,512
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    I passed it on my second attempt,i have to admit that nerves got in the way in my first attempt but on the when i did finally pass a sense of relief and joy came over me.It is sucha great feeling to get it over and done with.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    FLUFFY END OF TOWN
    Posts
    36,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aml View Post
    I passed it on my second attempt,i have to admit that nerves got in the way in my first attempt but on the when i did finally pass a sense of relief and joy came over me.It is sucha great feeling to get it over and done with.
    jeysus you got all emotional by the sound of it had you tissues?...i passed first time had 4 lessons.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    cork the real capital
    Posts
    5,553
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    83

    Default

    Started driving when was 7 or 8 got licence first attempt never took a lesson also have full licence for everything up to and
    including an artic, just did them had an relative who had trucks and learnt messing around.
    Never really used them much but keep them up to date just used do odd bit if they stuck
    Thing is though once u get them u never forget cause i did drive an artic recently and after a few minutes
    was totally comfortable again. I do alot of work with different machinery often working in tight spaces etc i
    deff thinks it helps ure judgment and keeps u sharp
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    393
    Reviews
    8

    Default

    I started driving very late. In my 30s. Just lazy I guess.
    I had two lessons and passed first time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,713
    Reviews
    35

    Default

    My cousin came over to work, his insurers told him to send his full Irish licence
    to Swansea for a swap. He got back a provisional. When he queried it-all they
    sent him was a test date. He was not impressed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,555
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warmcome View Post
    My cousin came over to work, his insurers told him to send his full Irish licence
    to Swansea for a swap. He got back a provisional. When he queried it-all they
    sent him was a test date. He was not impressed!
    There is too much emphasis on the driving test here as opposed to driving standards anyway.

    I got about three lessons and it was just to find out about the test,otherwise i wouldnt have bothered.Thats for the car.

    Never got a driving lesson for the bike.

    Westside.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    I travel a lot.
    Posts
    1,383
    Reviews
    21

    Default

    Dad took me to superquinn car park and I just drove round, then onto roads - sat test failed - resat and passed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •