Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Road Tragedy in Donegal

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dublin Fair City
    Posts
    8,660
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default Road Tragedy in Donegal

    I was just reading about the road traffic accident in Donegal last night, 8 men dead, 7 of them only aged 19-23, worst road accident in the history of the state.

    Eight-death crash 'worst on record' - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

    What an awful story. R.I.P.

    I don't know if this was a dangerous stretch of road they crashed on, but I've seen some crazy roads myself over the years. The last time I was in Kerry I was driving along a really narrow poor road and there were 70 signs up. Going at half that speed would have been dangerous. Couldn't understand it.

    Pat x

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    on top of you
    Posts
    4,239
    Blog Entries
    176

    Default

    so sad to hear this today RIP XXX
    Like a Fine Bottle of Wine .. I Get Better With Age

    Dont Forget You Can Get Phone Sex In Return For Vodafone Credit

    087 065 8647

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,512
    Reviews
    5

    Default

    Donegal over the last few years has become a blackspot for car tragedies in the past few years.I don't think we will know the full story until the driver of the car pulls through from his injuries..only then can we draw conclusions from what happened last night.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    504

    Default

    I have heard this sad news this morning when leaving Donegal, the poor families what they have to go through such a painfull moment, to loose kids from this age must be a nightmare.
    Donegal road are to narrow incase of collision is hard to get back on.
    R.I.P

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    Terrible stuff alright. Its the speed limits that are the problem, you havent been in Ireland for a while Pat we are on kilometers now.
    But I know what you mean. I was driving down some bog road with lots of bends and potholes where the speed limit went from 100m to 120 . Ridiculous
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dublin Fair City
    Posts
    8,660
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Terrible stuff alright. Its the speed limits that are the problem, you havent been in Ireland for a while Pat we are on kilometers now.
    This was only recently, well last year, but yes I am wrong to say it said 70. It would have said whatever 70 is in km. But I'm still thinking in miles!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    22,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    This was only recently, well last year, but yes I am wrong to say it said 70. It would have said whatever 70 is in km. But I'm still thinking in miles!
    Ah fair enough Pat I believe you (although millions wouldnt)
    Last edited by Doozer; 12-07-10 at 20:26.
    Join the E-I Fantasy Football League

    http://www.escort-ireland.com/boards...ntasy-Football

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    I was just reading about the road traffic accident in Donegal last night, 8 men dead, 7 of them only aged 19-23, worst road accident in the history of the state.

    Eight-death crash 'worst on record' - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

    What an awful story. R.I.P.

    I don't know if this was a dangerous stretch of road they crashed on, but I've seen some crazy roads myself over the years. The last time I was in Kerry I was driving along a really narrow poor road and there were 70 signs up. Going at half that speed would have been dangerous. Couldn't understand it.

    Pat x
    Indeed it is a desperate trajedy, it's ironic that the driver of the car carrying eight young men survived the crash, the poor devil will have a lot to answer for. Such a trajedy, I'm sure all our hearts go out to the parents and families of the deceased. You can never get over the death of a child.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,519
    Reviews
    42

    Default

    the condition of some of the roads inireland are apalling. id say it and speed are the biggest contributing factors to road deaths in ireland. since a lot of these new motorways have opened up there has been a dramatic decrease in serious road accidents but some places like the inishowen penninsula in donegal will never benefit from such improvements
    see you next tuesday

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,557
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
    Terrible stuff alright. Its the speed limits that are the problem, you havent been in Ireland for a while Pat we are on kilometers now.
    But I know what you mean. I was driving down some bog road with lots of bends and potholes where the speed limit went from 100m to 120 . Ridiculous
    Its a nasty accident but how anyone could drive a car properly with eight ppl in it is beyond me.Whats the legal limit anyway? five i think is it? Cant say who caused what but its reads that the car carrying eight ppl collided first.

    A big problem in Irish driving is that ppl cant drive and are only thought how to pass their test. Speed is a contributing factor too. What your saying about the speed limit on those roads is correct but a speed limit is just that and doesnt mean its safe to travel at the speed limit.The motorist has to exercise good judgement.

    Potholes and road conditions in Ireland are shocking. I can think of four ppl i knew straight off the top of my head who have being killed in motorcycle accidents with nothing else involved only the bike and a bad road covered with holes.

    Its a sad accident but infortunately there are loads more to come.The authorities are not doing enough here.

    Westside.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •