Thread: Italy out Ireland out

Reviews

Default Italy out Ireland out

Just noticed that Italy were dumped out of the WC, the same Italy that topped our group in qualifiers. So, if Ireland had qualified in p/off with France (spit) the logic dictates that we would have done even worse.

Agree? Ireland played three, lost three = embarrassing exit. national anguished post-mortem and hand-wringing?

Quote Originally Posted by BootSlick55 View Post
    Just noticed that Italy were dumped out of the WC, the same Italy that topped our group in qualifiers. So, if Ireland had qualified in p/off with France (spit) the logic dictates that we would have done even worse.

Agree? Ireland played three, lost three = embarrassing exit. national anguished post-mortem and hand-wringing?
    to be honest ireland have far less skill than the french or italian teams ...but what we have and what they lack is a good work ethic ...we might have a chance to go through from either group...i guess we will never know

Quote Originally Posted by BootSlick55 View Post

Agreed, this is why I was hoping the French and Italian teams to do well and why it annoyed me to see people going on about how "all the Irish people" would be happy at the French exit. The French going out like that just proves more what a joke Ireland are. If France had gotten to the final we could have said "that might have been us!!!", now we can said "that might have been us" for going out last in the group if we played our best.

Hoping for a team going out isn't going to make a different to the result.... but at least they didn't have to disparage us all by saying we were all hoping for the French team to go out. It's not logical, it pissed me off.

The whole world saw what happened to Ireland, the referees have made clear-cut mistakes in this world cup as well, in particular against the USA when they were against Slovenia. It happens all the time in soccer. Now the whole world saw France going out in disgrace.

Reviews

No....it doesn't work like that. Denmark finished ahead of Portugal in qualifying but Denmark are out in the group stage and Portugal are through even though they were in a harder group.
    Anyone who puts forth your sort of logic doesn't know anything about football.

Reviews

Simply put you have to give your all and turn up I firmly believe ireland would have given their all.Look at the argies,hopeless in the qualifiers now one of the favorites to win it.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by aml View Post
    Simply put you have to give your all and turn up I firmly believe ireland would have given their all.Look at the argies,hopeless in the qualifiers now one of the favorites to win it.
    Look at the 2002 world cup.....Portugal finished ahead of us in qualifying but we went further in the world cup. England stuffed Germany 5-1 but Germany got to the final while England went out with a whimper. Football might be alot of things but it's not predictable especially tournament football.

Quote Originally Posted by debest View Post
    No....it doesn't work like that. Denmark finished ahead of Portugal in qualifying but Denmark are out in the group stage and Portugal are through even though they were in a harder group.
    Anyone who puts forth your sort of logic doesn't know anything about football.

Quote Originally Posted by debest View Post
    Look at the 2002 world cup.....Portugal finished ahead of us in qualifying but we went further in the world cup. England stuffed Germany 5-1 but Germany got to the final while England went out with a whimper. Football might be alot of things but it's not predictable especially tournament football.
    Yeah but that only happens in rare situations. The examples given are all an example of selective evidence, especially the ones going back to old world cups. How many times have the team that came first gone on through and the other team get beaten out? It's not about knowing about soccer, it's just knowing about what can happen.

The truth is that the world cup is far from perfect and from time to time results contradict each other, but generally it does a decent job at sorting out the teams. They get 3 games, what more do they want? At the end of the day New Zealand aren't going to win the world cup. If the competition was played in a few months time Italy or France wouldn't do well either. If it were all a big lottory then there'd be no point in even having a world cup.

I know it doesn't "work that way" all the time, I'm not stupid. Ireland may very well have done better than France or Italy in this world cup, but we now see that they didn't achieve proud results against world beating competition.
    Last edited by nicegirlsarenice; 25-06-10 at 00:20.

Reviews

I stopped relying on logic when Greece won the European Championships.

If sport was all about logic, we would all be millionaires and affording a punt would be so much easier.

For me, I think Ireland would have had the heart to defy logic in the group.
    Nobody saw the performance in Paris coming.
    Also, I think we have an unbelievable record in big tournaments when we qualify.

Maybe I am just being patriotic beyond logic, but I think this Irish team, who are not
    blessed with great talent, would have pulled off one win in their group through pure
    heart and national pride.

Reviews

If football was that predictable we would all be winning the pools every week.
    Help Keyla in her fight with cancer. Every little helps.
    It could happen to any of us.
    https://gofund.me/8e340537

This world cup has had a few upsets which makes it exciting but not predictable. Even pre-tournament favourites Spain are struggling to qualify from their group.