Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: car question

Reviews

Default car question

Any car-buffs here?

Question... Automatic gears/transmission are standard in USA, and this makes it a hell of a lot easier/less hassle to drive, IMO. Yet, in Ire, Eng etc driving involves manual gear changes.

Why hasn't automatic superceded manual everywhere? Like in an evolutionary process, where the better idea spreads to render the old way defunct.

I was going to post this on the Straight Dope website, but I think you lot here are smarter than a bunch of geeky know-it-alls. And I'm banned there for claiming to be in the IRA (true story).

I await your insight. (Apologies for any inaccurate car jargon.)

Reviews

Personally for me manual gears,The problem with automatics is you have less control over your car in weather conditions such as heavy rainfall or snow.Over here we also tend to have poor roads in the countryside.Nothings better than moving up gears for me.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Automatic is for women.

the attraction with manual - is you can drive them to your taste (usually faster!!) and change gear when you ready to .. not when the gear box wants you to....
    I suppose it ma be a control thing? that keeps us happy with a maunal approach.:-)

tha manual approch cums in handy elswhere too.!!

Reviews

This is one's personal preference, but for me I love the feeling of up-shifting from 2nd to 3rd at just the right time! And that includes the old automatic kick-down when you floor it....
    Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    Automatic is for women.
    This does bring up a point does what would be the ratio of men/women who use automatics be?
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Reviews

Dick automatic

one of my cars is auto it drinks petrol autos are catching on here now

Reviews

Just found this, didn't even read it.

Many vehicles both perform better and achieve better fuel economy with manual transmissions. When you take into account the price of fuel in Europe (Europeans are taxed at a much higher rate than we are in North America), having a standard transmission makes more financial sense.
    Also, because of the way they are taxed on vehicles (engines over a certain displacement are in a higher tax bracket), many European cars are smaller in size and engine displacement. An auto transmission on a small displacement engine usually makes it very slow. Having a manual transmission helps with performance quite a bit.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

Reviews

I'm a man, I have automatic.

Reviews

theres no fun in driving an automatic

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast