Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the world cup showing up players for what they really are

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Horan View Post
    actually the premiership has most players at the world cup

but.............and most people never seem to understand this- no matter how much of a football fan they call themself- Football is a team game ..............TEAM !!!!!!!! as the greatest manager of them all said

Bob Paisley - A football team can be compared to a piano 8 to carry it and 3 to play it.

so you can have all the marquee players you want but they are a complete waste of space if the dont have the boys doing the spadework around them.

and in international football teams have a minimum amount of team to get used to playing with each other
    Exactly....look at Madrid in there Galacticos era....they were good for a season or two and then they went to shit creek.

Also.....Shankly, Stein, Busby and Ferguson are better managers than Paisley.....WORD......

It may sound cynical, but the money that the clubs spend on them is foolproof evidence that they're the best.

If there were better players then the top premiership teams would pick them up at bargain prices. Other players would love to go to the clubs for the 100 grand a week instead of their current wages.

Money talks, they wouldn't be spending that type of money just to pretend to have the best players.

Reviews

I don't believe you can judge - for example both Rooney and Lampard played very well for thier respective clubs but are awful in the World Cup. I accept that they can be flattered by good team-mates, but not to the extent these players are. Add in Gerard and Terry and you are talking about tranfer targets for every side in Europe.

Until they introduce salary caps, television match officials and give the refs microphones soccer will continue to decline in quality IMO.
    Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nicegirlsarenice View Post
    It may sound cynical, but the money that the clubs spend on them is foolproof evidence that they're the best.
    all this proves is that they have the money to pay them .This is evidenced by the number of foreign players playing in the premiership.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    all this proves is that they have the money to pay them .This is evidenced by the number of foreign players playing in the premiership.

Westside.
    We're talking about the quality of the premier league not the quality of the English national team.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post

Westside.
    How? Doesn't the number of foreign players show that they do draw other top players if they're good enough?

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by debest View Post
    Remember about 10 years back when they had Real, Barca, Valencia, Deportivo all challenging....that was a quality league. They've nothing like that now. They're league is just as over-rated as the premier league.
    how many teams have challenged in the premier league over the last ten years. 3 teams i suggest , 1 more than what challenges in scotland every year and the have 8 less teams than premiership.

You are judging the quality of a league on how teams challenge for title where as i base it on the quality of football.

Reviews

No they draw them because they pay them more .

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by An don View Post
    In my humble opinion the constant brainwashing from sky sports and the brittish red top media have labelled the Premiership the so called best league in the world. Judging from performances by some of the marquee players ,i think they are actually behind some of the leagues.
    The premiership was invented by skysports so obviously they are going to push their product but you are right,is overrated at times and honestly only about 3 or 4 decent teams in it.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by debest View Post
    What leagues is it behind?? Spain is the only one who can make such a claim and that's only in the last year.
    Apparently the german league is catching up quickly making huge profits over the last year.
    I have lived a life of regrets.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast