Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any painters in the house.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

first did you wash the wall down,? yes water based, i think you will find that the problem is when roller comes in contact with the wall its not sticky due to dust or other on the wall
    right that some paint water it by 50% and roll the walls, let it dry then 2 coats let each coat dry
    ps jesus hows the head, mine shiit

Blog Entries

Are they internal walls or are they the main walls? If they are the main walls they could be calcified due to dampness.

Westside.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    I've just a bastard of a day, went to so much trouble in preparing the walls,
    what did you do to prepare the walls?

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    what did you do to prepare the walls?

Westside.
    There was vinyl on the walls, peeled off the top layer, then swamped the second layer with water and on three walls it fell off, the 4th wall had a lot of some of the wallpaper backing still left on it, could I get it off, I tried everything, sugar soap, wallpaper remover solition, nitromors out of desperation. So then I wasn't happy about the tacky feeling on the walls, so when it dried out, I got the sander and I was quite pleased with the result. The walls looked like they had come under machine gun fire, so I did about 500 pollyfilla patches, wondering whether I could sand them down good enough for a paint finish. I carefully sanded them down and I was very pleased wth the result.

But then the nightmare started, no sooner had I put paint on the walls, when I went to give another and final roll, then the paint started popping and going back into the roller, it was ripping back off the walls, it was drying so quickly, as I said yesterday, I didn't think it could be as simple as adding a drop of water. I was was trying different type of rollers (material, sponge ect) but much to my amazement on a hot day, the water made a dramatic difference. I was covered in paint fingernails where I had been picking the paint back, I had paint up my hole.

I particularly wanted the perfect finish as I wanted to paint them, If I wallpapered them again, there wouldn' have been any problem. I'm doing three walls in soft white and the 4th in a light wallnut colour, ceiling and alcoving, I'm not sure yet.

I'm going to apply the second coat tomorrow, I'll certaing be adding at least 10% water. I think the problem was simply that the paint was very think and tacky and the fact that it was a particularly hot day, so by adding water and doing it swiftly was a great help. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dunno if I picked the correct picture, it was something like that, but not so bad.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

if may guess correct you still have some bits of the glue left, best thing i can suggest is to patch prime the affected areas before you attempt any of the finishing coats, zinc or metal primer works best i find

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by wanted the best 69 View Post
    if may guess correct you still have some bits of the glue left, best thing i can suggest is to patch prime the affected areas before you attempt any of the finishing coats, zinc or metal primer works best i find
    Thanks 69, have a great day and don't drink any whiskey tonight, it's bad for you.
    Once a prick - always a prick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    There was vinyl on the walls, peeled off the top layer, then swamped the second layer with water and on three walls it fell off, the 4th wall had a lot of some of the wallpaper backing still left on it, could I get it off, I tried everything, sugar soap, wallpaper remover solition, nitromors out of desperation. So then I wasn't happy about the tacky feeling on the walls, so when it dried out, I got the sander and I was quite pleased with the result. The walls looked like they had come under machine gun fire, so I did about 500 pollyfilla patches, wondering whether I could sand them down good enough for a paint finish. I carefully sanded them down and I was very pleased wth the result.

But then the nightmare started, no sooner had I put paint on the walls, when I went to give another and final roll, then the paint started popping and going back into the roller, it was ripping back off the walls, it was drying so quickly, as I said yesterday, I didn't think it could be as simple as adding a drop of water. I was was trying different type of rollers (material, sponge ect) but much to my amazement on a hot day, the water made a dramatic difference. I was covered in paint fingernails where I had been picking the paint back, I had paint up my hole.

I particularly wanted the perfect finish as I wanted to paint them, If I wallpapered them again, there wouldn' have been any problem. I'm doing three walls in soft white and the 4th in a light wallnut colour, ceiling and alcoving, I'm not sure yet.

I'm going to apply the second coat tomorrow, I'll certaing be adding at least 10% water. I think the problem was simply that the paint was very think and tacky and the fact that it was a particularly hot day, so by adding water and doing it swiftly was a great help. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Dunno if I picked the correct picture, it was something like that, but not so bad.
    I reckon its a combination of dampness or calcium build up in the walls and the humid weather. the paint is drying out too quick and cant get a grip on the walls. you might need to scrap the walls or get a light skimming job done on them.Depends though.

thats my op,
    Westside.

PS vinyl is murder for causing dampness in walls.

Hi rover, Did you wash the walls after sanding - I found that even a bit of that fine dust can do nasty things. And this looks like it could be one of them. Secondly if apply second coat of paint and the first one is not 100% dry ( mainly on the dumpy parts of the wall) than the first layer sticks on your roller instead on the wall.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

rover the whiskey is your thing, beers mine both equally bad

10. Default

Are you not entertained?
    Is this not why you are here?

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...t=MOV02900.flv

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast