I know there are a few tech heads around here so really hope ye can help.

Tried to turn on my computer recently only to find it wouldn't start up, said one of my files were corrupt or missing. Have my hard drive partitioned so knowing that the majority of my files were safe I decided to try and repair the file with my Windows XP CD only to find that it would not repair the file. Tried to format the hard drive after this and reinstall windows completely but this also failed because of the same error. Have a Windows 7 CD and had been told that when you install Windows 7 it automatically backs up your old files into a folder called windows old. Tried to format the hard drive with the Windows 7 CD and guess what...yup it failed.

Managed to get a loan of a cradle so took out the hard drive, hooked it up to the cradle, hooked the cradle up to the laptop only to be told that the USB device attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognize it. When I click on it to get more info it says windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43).

I'm guessing I need a new hard drive but is there anyway i can get the files off if before I dump it. Had a whole lot of stuff stored on that hard drive including all my music and pics.

Please help