Thread: Man of the Year?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Man of the Year?

I didn't see any thread on Kevin Myers column in last Thur's Indo. So here it is;
    Kevin Myers: Prosecuting 'victimless crimes' fills our prisons and turns the State into a morality policeman - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Only just read it myself. The voice of reason?
    Must go back and check the comments....

Blog Entries

Just about sums it up. I have said this already about the Cork case. It was a professional business,no trafficking and all knew it was there .Now its gone and wheres the new ones? Are they opened yet? Are the women trafficked? We dont know. That state ,by moving on both of these cases have now possibly endangered more working girls.

the law seriously needs to be changed,
    Westside.

PS you cant blame the police or judges as they are only doing their job. Its the laws in themselves are the problem.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Prickly View Post
    I didn't see any thread on Kevin Myers column in last Thur's Indo. So here it is;
    Kevin Myers: Prosecuting 'victimless crimes' fills our prisons and turns the State into a morality policeman - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Only just read it myself. The voice of reason?
    Must go back and check the comments....
    It is great to see that not all journalists are one dimensional clones.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

Reviews

I don't often agree with Kevin Myers, but that was a good piece. He's been taking a few pot shots at political correctness of late including some aspects of feminism.

I must admit i was surprised to find myself in complete agreement with the man- I am not his biggest fan

Blog Entries

Have to agree with you guys..........

I normally find the guy an idiot.............

I guess there's hope for us all...........
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

I also agree with him about the "guilty plea" manouver being totally ill-conceived and corrupt. I think they should do away with the whole idea of someone getting off with a much lighter sentence because of an "early guilty plea".

If someone clearly lied to police and that is proven, then yes they should add that criminal act of perverting the course of justice on as part of their sentence. Lying to the police, making false statements... that's all criminal.

But this whole thing about "if you say you do it early on, then you'll get only a suspended sentence" malarky is messed up. That means that you mightn't have done the act at all but appeased them by pleading guilty because it looked like you did it. All of their records will then be wrong.

I would like to echo the advice of Mr. Fussy that whatever about pleading guilty if you did do it, you should never plead guilty if you didn't. It's an unnatural thing to do, worse than pleading innocent if you're guilty, corrupt to the core.
    Last edited by nicegirlsarenice; 23-05-10 at 17:36.

But in fairness, man of the year?!!?!? Let's not go overboard here. Kevin Myers is trying to stay relevant and controversial in today's world, there are many people out there who would write a similar article... for example almost every punter. Along with the other hosts, he struggled in That's All We've Got Time for, he's probably sick of Challenging Times.... I think he would like to be in the public spotlight more and this is an easy avenue for that as it fulfills a lot of what he would like (controversial, actually be true and accurate, appealing to actually intelligent people and filtering out the pseudointellects from his life, appealing to people in the lower to middle class and not just the intellectually elite).... I think the latter is also what he was trying to do in That's All We've Got Time For.

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    I normally find the guy an idiot.............

I guess there's hope for us all...........
    You see what I mean? He's trying to tap into a new demographic...
    Last edited by nicegirlsarenice; 23-05-10 at 17:47.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

[QUOTE=nicegirlsarenice;220263]But in fairness, man of the year?!!?!?

Strictly tongue in cheek!

As far as i am concerned he is Top Dog*
    You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
    Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
    16th president of US (1809 - 1865)