Thread: Great Expectations... about that weekend away

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Great Expectations... about that weekend away

What happens when a Dirty Weekend Away turns into Dirty Weekend In Hell? When a romanticised expectation of your first mini-break away sours when you realise he’s driving you to the local b&b not the fancy hotel on the corner. Or when he’s bought tickets for a gig in the country, when you thought it was in Paris.

Is the weekend doomed from the start, and does it go downhill from there, avalanching into a spectacularly unsavoury version of The Honeymoon?

The simple problem with all things is expectation. Bridget Jones was taken for a mini-break by Mark Darcy in The Edge Of Reason, only to find that she was throwing herself in reckless out-of-control abandon down the snowy knolls of Austria, having to take a pregnancy test the following day, while Mark Darcy got to ski with the scorchingly-hot Rebecca for the rest of the weekend. Sound familiar?

It’s safe to assume, at least by my standards of high expectation, that most of the romantic getaways you’ll take in your lifetime, won’t be amazing.

Let's face it, even with the right man, when did any holiday go 100 percent according to plan? You could extend this even further to weddings and other large romantic events. You have the flowers, the dress, the DJ and a church full of people. Everything’s perfect… until Iceland explodes.

I have a friend who was nuptially sorted; prepared for every wedding disaster that may occur with a well thought out back-up plan in place. Prepared for everything, except a volcano, that is. And now, even with a marquee full of flowers, the MC, priest and the best man were stranded in Europe over her big day.

Dirty Weekends Away, at least in my humble opinion, are going to lead you into the murky waters of spontaneous improvisation. Maybe it’s God punishing you for having too much pre-marital sex, or more likely, things don’t always go quite according to plan because you’re thinking about the orgasmic shaggathon you’re about to embark on.

Anybody have an disasterous weekend aways they'd like to share?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lynne For This Useful Post:

Ric Hardgear (01-05-10)

Blog Entries

Low expectations = pleasant surprises.............

Sorry if that seems synical.................
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

I whisked my ex fiancee away to a weekend in Paris organized a few surprises over there she was elated at the unexpected trip all going well for a weekend of debauchery I was until she told me the first night on our way to the fourposter bed that she had her 'things'...

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    Low expectations = pleasant surprises.............

Sorry if that seems synical.................
    Well at least u arent being cynical
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Well at least u arent being cynical
    LOL.............Thanks Ber........

Not "C"ynical at all...............
    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries