Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We need the EU?

I never got the impression that the EU was been marketed as 'one country'. The original concept was created after WWII to try and create an environment to discourage war in Europe, making it one big happy family with a common market for our produce.

I lived in London for fifteen years and their contempt for all things EU (based on it not being British and a long held mistrust of Johnny Foreigner) was to say the least irritating. Meanwhile their politicians seized upon the business opportunity it was and ran with it, blaming any unpalatable decisions as being EU based further disenfranchising the general populace. Or maybe that was just their media doing the blaming.

I think the EU tries to make all member countries apply best practice in the managing of the country without affecting the indigenous ethnicity. That said, being bureaucrats the actual civil servants would have no qualms about impacting the indigenous culture if they got away with it but for every decision we do have some redress even if that is through the European courts.

Blog Entries

Considering the current economic climate, Ireland would probably be like Iceland right now, backrubt, and had you not been apart of EU you'd probably still have your own currency which more than likely would have been devalued and deemed worthless.

I cannot recall exactly what Wall St. called the Irish banking system back in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger, but it was compared to the ''Wild, wild west''.

Unfortunately the sheriff was outa town!

Quote Originally Posted by anitasizzle View Post
    Considering the current economic climate, Ireland would probably be like Iceland right now, backrubt, and had you not been apart of EU you'd probably still have your own currency which more than likely would have been devalued and deemed worthless.

I cannot recall exactly what Wall St. called the Irish banking system back in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger, but it was compared to the ''Wild, wild west''.
    Wall St ???????????????????????????????????????
    F.F.S.
    Lehman brothers, Goldman sachs, A.I.G. ,fannie mac ,freddie mac , Madoff ,Enron
    I could continue USA is bust ten times over it just a matter of time before it breaks up

It was the ECB which led anglo-irish bank the money it lent in the first place.
    The money anglo gambled came for europe thats why it cannot go bust.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seanief1980 View Post
    Wall St ???????????????????????????????????????
    F.F.S.
    Lehman brothers, Goldman sachs, A.I.G. ,fannie mac ,freddie mac , Madoff ,Enron
    I could continue USA is bust ten times over it just a matter of time before it breaks up

It was the ECB which led anglo-irish bank the money it lent in the first place.
    The money anglo gambled came for europe thats why it cannot go bust.
    Yeah, my point exactly-if Wall St. says your bad, you know you're FUCKED UP!

I come from the school of thought that believes American-style capialism will collapse within 18 years, but more than likely 6 to 9 years.

And again if it wasn't for Europe, Ireland would be in a lot worse situation than it is now.

Blog Entries

Default Doubt

the sterling didnt become worthless. Im not saying leave the EU or turn our backs on the EU. What i am saying is stop putting all our eggs into the EU basket which we are doing more and more. We do not need the EU as much as we are told by our politicians.

Westside.

The last attempt at an "EU" was the league of nations that started after WW1 and look how that worked out.

The EU needs to dissolve now espically with talk of Russia joining in the next 10-20 years. Do you like having your leaders elect themselves? They give themselves more and more power yet are accountable to no one. Wake up world.

Just to add, anyone who knows what the Bilderberg Group is and still thinks the EU, NAU and Pan-Asian Union's are good ideas then you need your heads looked at!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Westsidex View Post
    the sterling didnt become worthless. Im not saying leave the EU or turn our backs on the EU. What i am saying is stop putting all our eggs into the EU basket which we are doing more and more. We do not need the EU as much as we are told by our politicians.

Westside.
    If you can 'Trade' better without the EU than all means, but when it comes down to it isn't 'Trade'' the real reason why Ireland is a part of the EU?

Blog Entries

Default Apparently it is but

If you can 'Trade' better without the EU than all means, but when it comes down to it isn't 'Trade'' the real reason why Ireland is a part of the EU?
    what trade have we done with the EU to any great extent? The language barrier alone lies with a lot of the countries. We have always done alot of our trade with the UK and US.

The EU is aimed at becoming a United States of Europe like Prussia and the German states back in Bismarks time. The prob is its only the big states will have all the pull and Ireland isnt one of them. In all fairness its the EU countries have gained the most from us during the boom years through immigration.

Westside.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12