Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Me, Computer Techies!

Reviews

Default Help Me, Computer Techies!

Greetings, oh bespectacled ones. I have come a long way to gain access to your esoteric knowledge of computers and what goes on inside them. Please look with favour on this humble mouse's entreaty, and bestow upon me the wisdom I need to ensure a great weekend's gaming

I'm having a serious problem with my graphics card, an Nvidia 9600GS. When I run next gen games on it, the monitor enters powersave mode after a couple of minutes of gaming. My Intel dual core processor with Vista 64-bit has RAM coming out its arse and all drivers in my machine are up to date, but the problem persists. This is a graphics card problem, not a monitor one. There is some sort of software incompatibility between the card and the monitor running high-spec games - games that are more than say 2 years old run fine with no problems. The Nividia forums are no help.

I'm wondering if my PSU is able to support the card, since in the Wikipedia article on PSUs, it says "...Another popular misconception is that the greater the total watt capacity is, the more suitable the power supply becomes for higher-end graphics cards. The most important factor for judging a PSUs suitability for certain graphics cards is the PSUs total 12V output, as it is that voltage on which modern graphics cards operate. If the total 12V output stated on the PSU is higher than the suggested minimum of the card, then that PSU can fully supply the card..." Now, I have absolutely no idea what this means, but I went through my BIOS and found some numbers which I am hoping you can help me interpret.

My card needs a minimum of 28 amperes of 12V to run.
    My PSU is putting out 12.26V.

Is that good or bad?

And does anyone out there have a clue what might be wrong?

Reviews

You can get a new PSU for anything from 30-150euro but I dunno if that is your problem unless the card is an addition that the PC manufactureres didn't allow for, Dell have a habit of sticking in low watt PSU's to save a buck. I'm going to ask the obvious that you went into the PC power management, selected hign performance and then I think it's Change plan settings or something like that and make sure the monitor is on constant. Also turn off screensaver. If you are using a joystick your pc may think your computer is inactive and turn on power save.
    Just a couple of things to check before you go buying a new PSU.

But chances are you need a new PSU or your pc is full of dust and isn't cooling properly, if you are gaming you need to keep the pc well ventilated either by buying bigger coolers or room location, amazed how many people put there pc by a radiator..

Also if you do buy a new PSU, don't get a cheap one, a good 500-550watt would do.
    Last edited by anon361; 10-04-10 at 18:18.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    My card needs a minimum of 28 amperes of 12V to run.
    That's 336W! Is that a graphics card or a refrigerator?

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

Did you try swithing on and off the power?
    Please send us the spec of game and spec of PC

Thumbs up

I'm having a serious problem with my graphics card, an Nvidia 9600GS. When I run next gen games on it, the monitor enters powersave mode after a couple of minutes of gaming. My Intel dual core processor with Vista 64-bit has RAM coming out its arse and all drivers in my machine are up to date, but the problem persists. This is a graphics card problem, not a monitor one. There is some sort of software incompatibility between the card and the monitor running high-spec games - games that are more than say 2 years old run fine with no problems. The Nividia forums are no help.
    And does anyone out there have a clue what might be wrong?
    Buy a new graphics card, your cards ancient in gaming terms especially with the games out nowadays forget all the tech info everyone will throw at you

Elle with too much time on her hands

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    I'm going to ask the obvious that you went into the PC power management, selected hign performance and then I think it's Change plan settings or something like that and make sure the monitor is on constant. Also turn off screensaver.
    Yeah, done all that already, problem persists. It's depressing as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    isn't cooling properly, if you are gaming you need to keep the pc well ventilated either by buying bigger coolers or room location, amazed how many people put there pc by a radiator..
    Hmm. Exactly how would bigger coolers and such help the graphics card run better?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle of Edinburgh View Post
    Buy a new graphics card, your cards ancient in gaming terms especially with the games out nowadays forget all the tech info everyone will throw at you
    Will the peanut gallery please be quiet!! There's a game I wouldn't mind playing with you, Elle, it's called "Hide The Sausage" or "Sink The Pink"

There can be 2 issues, one is the PSU, some of the graphics card really needs more juice, I had to by a new PSU when I got my new GF 9800GT as my old PSU just wouldn't take it.
    The second can really be overheating - that could be very much your case, the new games do require a lot from Graphics Card and they do heat a lot, try to take down the details and the resolution of the game and see if the time of the shutdown is same or longer. Also you can get a little program that would monitor the temperature of your graphics card. You would than see i that is the issue.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post
    There can be 2 issues, one is the PSU, some of the graphics card really needs more juice, I had to by a new PSU when I got my new GF 9800GT as my old PSU just wouldn't take it.
    The second can really be overheating - that could be very much your case, the new games do require a lot from Graphics Card and they do heat a lot, try to take down the details and the resolution of the game and see if the time of the shutdown is same or longer. Also you can get a little program that would monitor the temperature of your graphics card. You would than see i that is the issue.
    Pauli put moosy out his misery and tell him to splash the cash you know it makes sense, a quick google put his card 2nd bottom of the 900 series and in dog year(s) is about 20 yr old

Elle
    Last edited by Alana; 10-04-10 at 21:42. Reason: missing (s) :-)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pauli View Post

good man Pauli

Who do I trust? I trust me!

Reviews

Hmm. Exactly how would bigger coolers and such help the graphics card run better?
    Because if the Graphics card is pulling so much power it would be getting very hot, if it's not properly ventilated it will trip out as such causing your problem, especially if as Pauli pointed out the resolution is set fairly high which puts extra workload on the card.
    Having had a look at your card it has a built in fan so heat probably isn't your biggest issue, get a new PSU and your laughing, or a new pc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast