Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Education

It is not just the quality of the written word that has declined. I frequently hear people ordering coffee with the phrase "Can I get..." and it makes my blood boil.

It's "May I have..."

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Paid

Quote Originally Posted by corm View Post
    It is not just the quality of the written word that has declined. I frequently hear people ordering coffee with the phrase "Can I get..." and it makes my blood boil.

It's "May I have..."

Well i imagine they dont care much once the coffee arrives or neither do those selling it once they are paid
    Blatant promotion should be outlawed
    but
    Vincent Browne is a Hero

Quote Originally Posted by corm View Post

It's "May I have..."

Ehhhh... there's a BIG fundamental difference there...

Saying "can I get" is dumb because it's an AMERICAN way of saying it, NOT because it's not proper English.

Why would you say "May I have" unless you were trying to look like a ponce? If you want to say that fair enough, but trying to say other people should as well? How ridiculous. Especially since Can I have is 100% as grammatically correct. You're confusing CORRECT English with the English posh people speak. Just because posh english people are more likely to speak correct english, DOES NOT automatically make everything they say more "correct" than ordinary correct english.

Do you even say it yourself?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123