From RTE.ie

Former RTÉ economics editor George Lee has announced that he has resigned from the Dáíl and from the Fine Gael party.

After joining the party last year, Mr Lee was elected to the Dáil in a by-election in Dublin South.

In a statement, Mr Lee said his resignation had been 'a very difficult decision', which he had taken after a great deal of reflection on his position.

'Despite my best efforts I have had virtually no influence or input into shaping Fine Gael's economic policies at this most critical time,' he said.

Mr Lee described his role within Fine Gael as 'very limited' and 'personally unfulfilling'.

'After nine months of trying within the political system it is now my considered view that the role available to me within Fine Gael is not a role I am happy to play,' he said.

Kenny signal 'came too late'

Mr Lee told RTE radio he had had conversations with the Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny over the last week. He said that Mr Kenny had indicated that a role could be provided for him, but Mr Lee said it would have come too late, because he had already made up his mind to resign.

He denied his decision to quit after nine months was impatience, saying it was a realistic decision. Mr Lee said he was 'very disappointed' for the people who voted for him in Dublin South.

He said he did not need to be on the Fine Gael front bench, but the party did not even ask him his opinion on economic matters.

On his future, he said he did not know 100% what he would do now, but he would probably return to RTE.

Well done Enda and the rest of the FG leadership
Another case of shooting yourself in the foot