Thread: IP Address?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Default IP Address?

What exactly is an IP address. Can Patricia or Nicole or anybody in the dungeon or any of the mods, check the location of a member within a 100 square yards. I remember Elle telling me you could switch off the IP address indicator on the computer, but I forgot what she said, so can you do this.
    But can anybody else home in on your IP address whilst being connected or logged on to E-I, I would be grateful for any feedback on this matter.

Once a prick - always a prick.

Reviews

as far as i know the only info most can get about you from your ip addres is who your internet provider is and maybe what city or town your in. to find out who you are they would have to get that info from your internet provider and that can only be done with a court order.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    What exactly is an IP address. Can Patricia or Nicole or anybody in the dungeon or any of the mods, check the location of a member within a 100 square yards. I remember Elle telling me you could switch off the IP address indicator on the computer, but I forgot what she said, so can you do this.
    But can anybody else home in on your IP address whilst being connected or logged on to E-I, I would be grateful for any feedback on this matter.

Do not worry rover, we will not nuck your door asking for more review on E-I

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    Do not worry rover, we will not nuck your door asking for more review on E-I
    I'd love to review you Sarah, I hear you're a cracker.

Blog Entries

Default Sure I am

Quote Originally Posted by rover View Post
    I'd love to review you Sarah, I hear you're a cracker.
    An Animal cracker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	animalCrackerLove.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	16209  

Reviews

Don't worry Rover, your safe, I just checked and there's no info on your PC worth stealing but I found your emails interesting Reading lol

Ah, just kidding, most of the broadband providers use Dynamic ip's so yours would probably change periodically so there isn't any real way of hacking you :-)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Don't log in from work. You probably already knew that, but it's worth repeating. For most people it is much easier to identify you from your work ip address than your home address.

As to what ip addresses are, think of postcodes. Not the Dublin type, but American 9 digit codes. There are more postcodes than addresses in the US, so basically every building has its own postcode. The US Mail uses the postcodes rather than the rest of the address to do its sorting and routing. Of course this only works because there are postcode directories which will translate normal addresses into postcodes.

So, yes you are sending information which partially identifies you each time you visit E-I. If you didn't then their server wouldn't know where to send the pages you want to view.

There is a way to get around this, but you almost certainly don't want to do it. You can go through a proxy. The postal equivalent would be a guy who opens your mail and forwards it on in a new envelope with his own return address in place of yours. He also keeps a record of all your letters, so when the replies come addressed to him, he knows where to send them. If you think this guy knows entirely too much about you then you are right. If you use a proxy server then E-I can no longer identify you, but whoever runs the proxy will know about every page you visit. The bad news is that if you log on from work then there is a good chance that you are using a proxy without knowing about it. Yet another reason not to log in from work. If you've already logged in from work then I would advise being very polite to your IT support staff.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

but if you log on from work and there is 30/40 computer there how can anyone know it you.
    Never confuse education with intelligence One helps you make a living; the other helps you make a life.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anon361 View Post
    Don't worry Rover, your safe, I just checked and there's no info on your PC worth stealing but I found your emails interesting Reading lol

Ah, just kidding, most of the broadband providers use Dynamic ip's so yours would probably change periodically so there isn't any real way of hacking you :-)
    If you read my emails, could never show my face on E-I again.