Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Closing threads which wander off topic.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Closing threads which wander off topic.

We've just had two threads closed for wandering off topic. I'm sure this was meant well, but does it really make sense? I had relevant posts on both threads. On one of them almost all the posts were relevant. Why should the rest of us be punished if a few people want to play post tag?

I don't want this thread to degenerate into mod bashing, but I want to pose a legitimate question. How should mods deal with this problem?

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

I wouldn't mind but even Patricia had made an off topic comment on one of the CLOSED threads which was in the middle of the couple of off topic comments and she the Super Mod / Gorgeous Owner didn't see fit to close it

Reviews

If all threads were closed for going off topic, there wouldn't be an open one here.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    We've just had two threads closed for wandering off topic. I'm sure this was meant well, but does it really make sense? I had relevant posts on both threads. On one of them almost all the posts were relevant. Why should the rest of us be punished if a few people want to play post tag?

I don't want this thread to degenerate into mod bashing, but I want to pose a legitimate question. How should mods deal with this problem?
    I have no wish to be locking threads left right and center but if in locking this one for a few hours concentrates the minds of the few who insist on having boring cyber bitch slaps on very important topics then it will be well worth it.

Blame them not mods.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Quarterpoundher View Post
    I have no wish to be locking threads left right and center but if in locking this one for a few hours concentrates the minds of the few who insist on having boring cyber bitch slaps on very important topics then it will be well worth it.

Blame them not mods.
    I wasn't trying to blame you. I was asking if anyone had better ideas for how to deal with the problem. Particularly for ad threads, and one of these was an ad thread, I would propose to warn and then ban. After all, it's the ads that pay for everything else.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

Blame them not mods.
    Based on your use of language, avatar and comments in profile

Interests
    Enforcing the rules

I would tend to disagree with your first four words.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    I wasn't trying to blame you. I was asking if anyone had better ideas for how to deal with the problem. Particularly for ad threads, and one of these was an ad thread, I would propose to warn and then ban. After all, it's the ads that pay for everything else.
    surely by it's very essence a successful thread will spark debate in other areas?

by the way, I'm as guilty as anyone for bringing threads off topic.....I wouldn't call it playing post tag though, little (if any) is intended to annoy

Blog Entries

Default Judgement call

Quote Originally Posted by blankmannn View Post
    surely by it's very essence a successful thread will spark debate in other areas?

by the way, I'm as guilty as anyone for bringing threads off topic.....I wouldn't call it playing post tag though, little (if any) is intended to annoy
    Sometimes a mod has to make a judgement call on some issue.That call may / maynot be aggreable to everyone but its a judgement call nonetheless.

Westside.

Reviews

Blame them not mods.
    Hear Hear.

Quote Originally Posted by T100 View Post
    Based on your use of language, avatar and comments in profile

Interests
    Enforcing the rules

I would tend to disagree with your first four words.
    Disagree away, just dont have a page long bitch slap about it like some on the other thread

Thats just my interests. I dabble in other areas
    Last edited by Quarterpoundher; 12-11-09 at 23:23.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast