Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Anyone for another referendum?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wouldn't ya love to know!
    Posts
    55

    Default Anyone for another referendum?

    I heard President Mary McAleese on "Morning Ireland" this morning saying she was going to reduce spending in Aras an Uachtaran by 12.5%. You would imagine this would save the taxpayer something at least. However, the full allowance will still be paid to her as it appears the Constitution states that it cannot be reduced. So she said she just won't spend 12.5% of it. With the way this country is run, it'll disappear into some black hole somewhere.
    Similarly, Brian Lenihan said he couldn't abolish paying ministerial pensions to sitting TDs because it seems thats also unconstitutional. So seeing as how the only way the Constitution can be changed is by referendum, do you think it would be a good idea to put these questions to the people, and what do you think the outcome might be???

  2. Default

    sitting administrations always rule in their own interests that's everywhere...a referendum should be a good instrument to keep them in place but is no more then a poll if the result goes against the administration they call for a second referendum with predictable result

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under Patricia.........
    Posts
    8,423
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Only if we could vote via e-mail or something like that.......

    Quote Originally Posted by *Superman View Post
    Anyone for another referendum?
    The bloody thing would cost more that we'd save........

    Ya, the constitution is great, but I'm all for changing it if needs be..........

    There was a proposal a while ago to scrap the presidency altogether. A step to far in my book...........
    Advertising space available for hire, and reviews for sale, just call me....xxx

    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Over There
    Posts
    1,891
    Reviews
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    The bloody thing would cost more that we'd save........

    Ya, the constitution is great, but I'm all for changing it if needs be..........

    There was a proposal a while ago to scrap the presidency altogether. A step to far in my book...........
    What about if we had a series of referendums on the same day lump them altogether

    abolishing the Seanaid
    Abolishing the blasphemy sections
    Allowing Judges pay to be cut
    Allowing ministerial pension to be only paid at normal retirement age or later if minister is still serving.
    Reducing the number of TDs

    Anymore you can think of


    If we did them altogether we could save money besides cuts have to start at the top even as only an example that those at the top are not exempt.

    Interesting that their is constitutional protection for the income of the president, the Judges, the ministers and NO protection at all for the weakest the old the sick and the unemployed
    Its the Crips and the Bloods all over again

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    14,557
    Blog Entries
    11

    Default No point in having a referendum

    seriously if it goes the way the gov dont want it to go then they will simply have another one and scare those that are easily scared to vote the way that the gov want it.

    the money will be here soon YES gang,
    Westside.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Under Patricia.........
    Posts
    8,423
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Top idea Stewie.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    What about if we had a series of referendums on the same day lump them altogether

    abolishing the Seanaid
    Abolishing the blasphemy sections
    Allowing Judges pay to be cut
    Allowing ministerial pension to be only paid at normal retirement age or later if minister is still serving.
    Reducing the number of TDs

    Anymore you can think of


    If we did them altogether we could save money besides cuts have to start at the top even as only an example that those at the top are not exempt.

    Interesting that their is constitutional protection for the income of the president, the Judges, the ministers and NO protection at all for the weakest the old the sick and the unemployed
    But the tree huggers will never go for it..........

    There would be that many suggestions and changes to be made the rain forest would vanish completely with the amount of paper required...........

    Here's a quick look at 1 ballot paper...........




    Of course we could save ourselves a bundle and go for electronic voting...............
    Advertising space available for hire, and reviews for sale, just call me....xxx

    "It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luther View Post
    But the tree huggers will never go for it..........

    There would be that many suggestions and changes to be made the rain forest would vanish completely with the amount of paper required...........

    Here's a quick look at 1 ballot paper...........




    Of course we could save ourselves a bundle and go for electronic voting...............
    No thats the company that makes Leinster House's loo paper for all the fat arse's and shite that spoken in there although I hear that company had to cut back production when Johno got shown the door.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •