Thread: Interesting Guardian Article on Trafficking

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Guardian article

Yes I read it. There's another by the same journalist: Prostitution and trafficking ? the anatomy of a moral panic | UK news | The Guardian, which talks about where the numbers usually quoted in the media come from.

Both are interesting. One minor quibble is that the title of the one you linked is a bit misleading. There have been traffickers convicted in the UK recently. And I mean real traffickers rather than the UK's warped definition. It's just that they weren't caught by the overhyped Operation Pentameter. Nick Davies isn't disputing that, but you have to read the whole article to find out. I think he couldn't resist the temptation of a shocking title.

For those who won't bother to read the full articles, here's a one sentence summary: Trafficking happens, is hard to measure accurately, and is almost certainly much rarer than the media usually suggests.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

there was a guy on BBC2 Newsnight lastnite he was minister from 2002 TO 2006 he reported 25,000 girls a year were being trafficked a year in these years & up to the present day he was strongly interviewed by Jeremy Paxman to come up with answers now that its been reported so few are trafficked, he waffled on & on without answering the question a proper cunt if ever I saw one.......

Reviews

There was a similar 18 month Garda operation around 2006.

And the report also said that they had found no evidence of any of the girls being traffiked.

It would never work in Ireland in this day and age.

The real abuses are with the doctors, pharmaceuticals and the low jobs like people who destroy the planet or make policies allowing for it, corrupt gardai etc. and the huge amount of jobs and waste of money for jobs that never do or achieve anything, like most government jobs and most research jobs.

Reviews

They create all this trafficking scare, when in essence while it MAY happen in a tiny proportion, most women go into it to earn a few bob. It's like drink driving, all the stupid power hungry cops out on major roads for PR reasons stopping cars and about 0.001% will probably be slightly over the limit and while they're out doing PR, people are kicking the shit out of each other all over the country and there's never a guard there when u want one.