Thread: A question in relation to language

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default A question in relation to language

A question in relation to language
    1 Are u not allowed to use sentences or phrases from any other language other than English
    in posts or signatures?
    2 If u are allowed use language other than English under what circumstances are u allowed use it
    3 What are the sanctions
    4 if u are not allowed why are there some signatures here in foreign language

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    1 Are u not allowed to use sentences or phrases from any other language other than English
    in posts or signatures?
    2 If u are allowed use language other than English under what circumstances are u allowed use it
    3 What are the sanctions

seems not bud.

there go our long meaningful converstions as gaelge .........

i will miss them

slan

nbt

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Language rules

in posts or signatures?
    3 What are the sanctions
    The rules are a bit ambiguous. They say no messages in a foreign language, but then the references to deletion, banning and such are all about posting. I'm not a mod, obviously, but I would assume that pm's are fine. I hope so, since I've sent pm's in four different languages. Visitor messages are less clear, but I don't really see a problem there, unless the meaning is offensive. Signatures are part of posts, so that's different.

In any case, I certainly hope they don't start banning people whose usernames are in a foreign language.

“I wish you wouldn’t keep appearing and vanishing so suddenly; you make one quite giddy!”
    “All right,” said the Cat; and this time it vanished quite slowly, beginning with the end of the tail, and ending with the grin, which remained some time after the rest of it had gone.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by El Gordo View Post
    The rules are a bit ambiguous. They say no messages in a foreign language, but then the references to deletion, banning and such are all about posting. I'm not a mod, obviously, but I would assume that pm's are fine. I hope so, since I've sent pm's in four different languages. Visitor messages are less clear, but I don't really see a problem there, unless the meaning is offensive. Signatures are part of posts, so that's different.

In any case, I certainly hope they don't start banning people whose usernames are in a foreign language.
    I got slapped in the face for speaking in Mandarin by Patricia, come to think of it, I quiet enjoyed her soft touch across my face

我能再好嗎? (Can I have another please?)

Reviews

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Reviews

Default The rule governing language

in posts or signatures?
    3 What are the sanctions
    In answer to your question ber, this is the rule that applies:

English Language Only
    "We do not allow messages which are written in code or a language which isn’t English. If you post in code or a foreign language your post may be edited or deleted. We will ban users who post in code or a foreign language after we have warned them not to continue doing so."

The rule refers to messages and posts.....so it is debatable whether a signature is a part of the massage or post as it is independent of the message/post content and can be viewed independently on your user name profile page....i.e. signature has no bearing on the message/post.

Again you could debate whether visitor messages are covered by this rule or if it only applies to posts and messages in the forums, in the blog section and in reviews. In any event, you can delete a visitor message that you don't like on your profile, irrespective of which language it happens to be in.

Private messages? If some members can communicate better with each other in a different language, I don't see this creating a problem for anybody else if they pm in that language. If somebody however, uses a different language to send insulting or harassing pms, that's a different situation altogether and people can use the "report a private message" option for this.

My own view, is that the English language rule is there to ensure that E-I can vet exactly what is being openly published on this site i.e. where the world and his wife have access to it. I imagine that there are probably good legal reasons for this.

As to the sanctions that can be imposed, they're contained in the rule.

At the end of the day of course, the interpretation of the rule and how it should be applied is down to Patricia.
    Last edited by carlos marvado; 12-10-09 at 15:50. Reason: Should have written this in a language I can spell in.