Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: R.i.p ireland

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    Devaluation is a really bad option just gives a false sense of value in ure own country when u go
    trade ure currency is worth less so imports are much more expensive,during the recent economic
    slump it was suggested that Britian take this course of action but it was strongly resisted as it
    was seen as being a very bad option long term
    Sorry you are wrong britain has allowed sterling to devalue ie it has not propped it up look at the current euro to sterling rate and compare it to pre crisis rates it's upto 30% drop. This has effectively made britains produce cheaper and reduced britains wage rates compared to it's neighbours. Yes it has made imports more expensive and will lead to inflation but in the depths of recession neither of them are the biggest concern.
    Its the Crips and the Bloods all over again

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Propping up

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    Sorry you are wrong britain has allowed sterling to devalue ie it has not propped it up look at the current euro to sterling rate and compare it to pre crisis rates it's upto 30% drop. This has effectively made britains produce cheaper and reduced britains wage rates compared to it's neighbours. Yes it has made imports more expensive and will lead to inflation but in the depths of recession neither of them are the biggest concern.
    not propping up and devalueing a currency are different things in the past Ireland
    announced percentage devaluations of the currency, Britian did not do this

Reviews

not propping up and devalueing a currency are different things in the past Ireland
    announced percentage devaluations of the currency, Britian did not do this
    You can announce a set devaluation or you can allow the currency to drop and not try to prop up it's value the end result is the same the currency is devalued. You don't have to announce a devalution for one to take place.

Reviews

what about the hookers

nbt

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default markets

You can announce a set devaluation or you can allow the currency to drop and not try to prop up it's value the end result is the same the currency is devalued. You don't have to announce a devalution for one to take place.
    That is a market flucutation which happens every day,agreed this is a more marked one but the markets can rise again as they did a couple of months ago but if u intervene and devalue a currency it will remain so until u intervene again

Reviews

That is a market flucutation which happens every day,agreed this is a more marked one but the markets can rise again as they did a couple of months ago but if u intervene and devalue a currency it will remain so until u intervene again
    Wrong ber market fluctuates whether you devalue or not. Your confusion seems to be based on the ERM of the early nineties under that as a lead up to monetary union prospective currencies had a floor and ceiling against each other which they were committed to keeping their currency with in those bounds. The punt came under pressure as speculators bet that it was valued to high and Ireland spent blooms propping up the currency until they eventually gave in and devalued whereas the UK pulled out and allowed sterling to float.

The devaluation applied to the bands of the ERM but now sterling and the euro float and are not set at any particular level in relation to each other or any other currency other than countries have ranged they prefer their currency to be at for import and export reasons. If the value moves to far away from that range they generally intervene either buying or selling their own currency depending on whether it is too strong or too weak.
    Sterling has fallen at times to near parity with the euro and the uk has not massively intervened happy to let sterling drop in value or devalue against other currencies. Even if Britain announced a devaluation of it's currency it could and in all likelyhood would regain it's value over time unless Britain intervened to keep sterling low. It would only be a permanent feature if the currency was fixed against other currencies which sterling is not.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default misunderstand

Wrong ber market fluctuates whether you devalue or not. Your confusion seems to be based on the ERM of the early nineties under that as a lead up to monetary union prospective currencies had a floor and ceiling against each other which they were committed to keeping their currency with in those bounds. The punt came under pressure as speculators bet that it was valued to high and Ireland spent blooms propping up the currency until they eventually gave in and devalued whereas the UK pulled out and allowed sterling to float.

The devaluation applied to the bands of the ERM but now sterling and the euro float and are not set at any particular level in relation to each other or any other currency other than countries have ranged they prefer their currency to be at for import and export reasons. If the value moves to far away from that range they generally intervene either buying or selling their own currency depending on whether it is too strong or too weak.
    Sterling has fallen at times to near parity with the euro and the uk has not massively intervened happy to let sterling drop in value or devalue against other currencies. Even if Britain announced a devaluation of it's currency it could and in all likelyhood would regain it's value over time unless Britain intervened to keep sterling low. It would only be a permanent feature if the currency was fixed against other currencies which sterling is not.
    I think u misunderstand me i know the current sterling situation is linked to the markets and as u
    have said will in all likelyhood end up with a similar value that it had before this crisis began
    when the ddust settles and world econmies stabalise

Reviews

I think u misunderstand me i know the current sterling situation is linked to the markets and as u
    have said will in all likelyhood end up with a similar value that it had before this crisis began
    when the ddust settles and world econmies stabalise

but if u intervene and devalue a currency it will remain so until u intervene again
    Sorry if I misunderstood, But thats what you appeared to be saying here ber

9. Default

Ull have to clarify something for me here,to the best of my knowledge when Bobby Sands
    died the Irish republic consisted of 26 counties which it still does today,so pray tell how did he die
    to gain me my freedom?Im fairly certain i already had it
    Correct , hes an idiot . Why did you just mention Sands ? There was nine other men that died along with him

Searchable Lisbon

Searchable version of the Lisbon treaty with comparisons to the Nice Treaty. Go nuts for yerselves!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234