Thread: Eating Bad Fish. How do you describe a "Bad fish"?

Thumbs down Eating Bad Fish. How do you describe a "Bad fish"?

I was a vegatarian for years and for the last 4 months have added fish to my diet. Most of the time it feels right in me and I am happy then to eat it, but occasionally something doesnt seem right. Like tonight. I ordered salmon and it was very chewy and looked hardly cooked so i said to waiter "its bad please cook more". They brought it back out very cooked and still chewy. I ate a tiny bit and then said "take it away its disgusting". Im feeling very ill now and I didnt feel this way before I ate it. So Im not sure if it was bad or not. They insisted its not bad and made me pay for it tho I didnt eat it. Id like to not have this delemna ever again. How do you tell if the fish is good or bad, cooked enough or not enough? I did ask my Italian client tonight who works in a restaurant, and I said "but the japanese eat it almost raw and its ok" where he said "yes but its super fresh, like just out of ocean when they eat this way. You cant freeze a fish and then eat it raw like that, it must be cooked after being frozen." I didnt know this before he told me. Any other pointers I should know about? I am going to try cooking my own fish since I cant get it prepared right by others it seems. Any advice on this? Knowing if fish is bad or ok, ect?

Im hoping to find some really good restaurants in Ireland with very fresh caught fish. I love Salmon. Any recommendations?
    Last edited by DollyDarling; 23-09-09 at 04:48.

LOL
    Noone wants to comment on my bad fish post.

Hey sexy Dolly..

You generally tell if fish is ok by smelling it beore it's cooked. So unless you get the waiter to bring it out before it's cooked then you take the chance & must trust the restaurant (lol )

Regarding being made to pay for a meal that was off & had to be sent back twice. LOL.... You should have told them where to stick the fish & bill.

Get your sexy ass to Ireland girl so I can get my hands on it and my tongue in it...

Default Fish

A good rule with fish is if it smells bad or even very fishy, dont buy it or eat it.
    Fresh raw fish has hardly any smell, unless you get your nose right into it. The flesh should be firm, and the scales shiny.

If you are served fish, you can only go by how it smells. You were right not to eat it.

Oily fish, like salmon gan begin to smell strongly oily if it is left uneaten for a long time after cooking. I wouldnt say its harmful, but unpleasant.

Best advice is to go to a reputable shop or restaurant, simple as that. Hope that helps.

Reviews

Something very fishy about this thread.
    Sorry bad joke but couldnt resist.
    The Truth is out there.

I suppose it was inevitable someone would make that joke.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by DollyDarling View Post
    I was a vegatarian for years and for the last 4 months have added fish to my diet. Most of the time it feels right in me and I am happy then to eat it, but occasionally something doesnt seem right. Like tonight. I ordered salmon and it was very chewy and looked hardly cooked so i said to waiter "its bad please cook more". They brought it back out very cooked and still chewy. I ate a tiny bit and then said "take it away its disgusting". Im feeling very ill now and I didnt feel this way before I ate it. So Im not sure if it was bad or not. They insisted its not bad and made me pay for it tho I didnt eat it. Id like to not have this delemna ever again. How do you tell if the fish is good or bad, cooked enough or not enough? I did ask my Italian client tonight who works in a restaurant, and I said "but the japanese eat it almost raw and its ok" where he said "yes but its super fresh, like just out of ocean when they eat this way. You cant freeze a fish and then eat it raw like that, it must be cooked after being frozen." I didnt know this before he told me. Any other pointers I should know about? I am going to try cooking my own fish since I cant get it prepared right by others it seems. Any advice on this? Knowing if fish is bad or ok, ect?

Im hoping to find some really good restaurants in Ireland with very fresh caught fish. I love Salmon. Any recommendations?
    I can't help it if I wasn't cooked properly, give that fecking chef a slap.

Once a prick - always a prick.