Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well done to the IOC

Reviews

Default Well done to the IOC

Great news that womens boxing has been added to the 2012 Olympics in London , it's about time too . Our Katie could well be the 1st Olympic Gold medalist in womans boxing ! And in 2016 it's looking very like golf will be added too
    I have no signature at the moment

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerguy View Post
    Great news that womens boxing has been added to the 2012 Olympics in London , it's about time too . Our Katie could well be the 1st Olympic Gold medalist in womans boxing ! And in 2016 it's looking very like golf will be added too
    I hope you are right about Katie Taylor becoming Olympic champion in 2012 although a lot of things could change in three years. As for golf becoming an Olympic sport in 2016 I just wonder how seriously the top players would take it considering it would be held in July or August just when the British Open or the U.S. PGA tournaments take place.
    The Truth is out there.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default prob

Quote Originally Posted by westcorklad View Post
    I hope you are right about Katie Taylor becoming Olympic champion in 2012 although a lot of things could change in three years. As for golf becoming an Olympic sport in 2016 I just wonder how seriously the top players would take it considering it would be held in July or August just when the British Open or the U.S. PGA tournaments take place.
    They prob would have something like in the football where its mostly u21 players might just be for younger players or pro-ams, cant see tiger woods straining himself for an olympic golf medal

kinda same with the tennis it dosent set the world on fire

Reviews

I'd say there would be some rescheduling done with The Open and the PGA tours every 4 yrs to accomodate the Olympics , it hasn't been finalised yet and this could well be one of the sticking points . Early days yet but will keep a keen eye on the situation as and when it progresses

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    They prob would have something like in the football where its mostly u21 players might just be for younger players or pro-ams, cant see tiger woods straining himself for an olympic golf medal

kinda same with the tennis it dosent set the world on fire
    Gabriel Heinze risked his man united career before it even began so that he could play in the Olympics with Argentina , i think mascherano did something similar the last games too with liverpool . When 2016 comes along , Tiger will have broken every record in golf and won every major honour times over , the lure of an Olympic Gold to add to his trophy collection would , in my opinion , be irresistable

Reviews

I'd say there would be some rescheduling done with The Open and the PGA tours every 4 yrs to accomodate the Olympics , it hasn't been finalised yet and this could well be one of the sticking points . Early days yet but will keep a keen eye on the situation as and when it progresses
    Sorry I think it would have to be the other way around.The Olympics would have to accomodate the Open or the P.G.A. Otherwise the top players just will not be interested simple as that.
    And as for Bers comment that it be restricted to u 21 players or amateurs well I just dont think that many people would bother to watch that or more to the point that TV companies would pay huge money for the broadcasting rights.
    The Truth is out there.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

The Olympic ideal of amateurs participating in sporting competition is long gone, which is a shame.
    Golf as an Olympic sport - I never thought that would happen but, during the 70's and 80's, I never thought I would ever see United win the league. And then God came.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Ompetitive

The Golf wouldnt be competitive as i assume it would take place as a team sport like the Ryder cup so when u would break up europe the US would be much stronger than individual european countries

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ber View Post
    The Golf wouldnt be competitive as i assume it would take place as a team sport like the Ryder cup so when u would break up europe the US would be much stronger than individual european countries
    If golf is added to the Olympics and if scheduling conflicts with the major tournaments can be sorted out Im not so sure that it would be a team competition. It could take place in an individual matchplay format with for example the top 64 players in the world rankings being eligible for the competition subject to a limit of no more than three competitors from any one country to avoid the likes of the USA and Australia dominating the competition.

Obviously there is a long way to go before golf does become an Olympic sport but I suppose we will just have to wait and see.
    The Truth is out there.

Reviews

I love boxing, but I've always been squeamish about watching women's boxing. While of course it's up a woman if she wants to take up the sport, I personally dislike watching women trying to inflict damage on each other.

Mind you, I was on O'Connell Street at drinking up time last weekend and saw fuckin' loads of it outside the ring too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast