Thread: A question for Soccer fans

Blog Entries

Default A question for Soccer fans

In the 1966 World Cup final England beat Germany with the final goal by Goeff Hurst a very controversial one.No i wasnt around in 1966 but i saw it time after time.The q.Was this a goal?Your opinion.

I think it was more behind the line than not but it wasnt past the line either.

YouTube - Geoff Hurst famous goal from 1966

Westside.

Reviews

I think the rulebook says that the whole of the ball must be over the line. From that shot, I say no goal!

However, it's another example of why FIFA should consider introducing a TV judge into the game, especially for important decisions like that one.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I think the rulebook says that the whole of the ball must be over the line. From that shot, I say no goal!

However, it's another example of why FIFA should consider introducing a TV judge into the game, especially for important decisions like that one.
    They barely had TVs back then

Default No way was it a goal

I am biased though mind you we made up for it by kicking there ass at wembley the following year.
    Then stealing there goalposts in 77, my old neighbour even had a bit of the wembley turf growing in his garden

YouTube - The original crossbar challenge

Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    .............. it's another example of why FIFA should consider introducing a TV judge into the game, especially for important decisions like that one.
    You mean like Judge Judy only better looking

Blog Entries

Default Tiffs 2penneth

HI

ARE your sure it was the LAST goal that was controversial? because didnt the last goal hit the back of the net witch coined the frase

"THE FANS ARE ON THE PITCH THEY THINK ITS ALL OVER ,IT IS NOW.

Tiff ...xx

" Tiffany Tees "
    Strangers are friends I have yet to meet.

Blog Entries

"It's far easier to fight for principles than to live up to them."
    L

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by TiffanyT View Post
    HI

ARE your sure it was the LAST goal that was controversial? because didnt the last goal hit the back of the net witch coined the frase

"THE FANS ARE ON THE PITCH THEY THINK ITS ALL OVER ,IT IS NOW.

Tiff ...xx

Thats right Tiff, it was the third goal that was controversial. I think it was over the line and, therefore, a goal as the reaction of a couple of the England players was to celebrate rather than try and put the rebound in. As far as I remember Roger Hunt was the nearest, and a bit of a goal poacher, so for him to not try and put the rebound in was unusual.

Blog Entries

Default Yep i got it wrong

i also got the score wrong thinking it ened 3-2 to England.In any event its whetehr it was goal is the issue.I dont think that it was.However i reckon England would have beaten Germany regardless as they were simply a way better team.

Westside.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Elle of Edinburgh View Post
    I am biased though mind you we made up for it by kicking there ass at wembley the following year.
    Then stealing there goalposts in 77, my old neighbour even had a bit of the wembley turf growing in his garden

YouTube - The original crossbar challenge
    It was without question a brilliant goal.

YouTube - I Vow to Thee, My Country
    Once a prick - always a prick.