Thread: Internet Piggybacking

Reviews

Default Internet Piggybacking

My internet was down earlier and i had a look to see if there was any other connections available . My neighbour has an unsecured network so i connected to his to check some emails etc but nothing naughty . My question is this , is there any way that he will know that i was using his connection , like would any site(s) i was on appear on his computer somehow ?
    I have no signature at the moment

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rimmerguy View Post
    My internet was down earlier and i had a look to see if there was any other connections available . My neighbour has an unsecured network so i connected to his to check some emails etc but nothing naughty . My question is this , is there any way that he will know that i was using his connection , like would any site(s) i was on appear on his computer somehow ?
    The sites that you've visited won't appear on his computer. The only way he'd know is if he decided to query his Internet Service Provider on the sites that have been accessed using his connection. If he cops on that his connection is being used (eg if his connection is slower than normal or if he notices activity on his broadband modem when he is not using the net) he might decide to do that. That's my understanding anyway. Please correct if I'm wrong.

Jimbob

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default No way

In a nutshell...NO.angels5

Reviews

BTW, if your neighbour has Eircom broadband with a Netopia router (most common one supplied) that was installed a while ago chances are you can still access it using this even if it is encrypted

Eircom SSID thinger

you lucky sod.

cancel your own subscription and freeload off his as long as you can

My understanding is:

Yes he could know depending on the software he is running and/or the router/modem he has.

Three reasons spring to mind as to why he is no security on his wireless:
    1. He is not experienced in computers
    2. He has taken off security to allow a defined person in and has not re-enabled it
    3. He is creating a ‘honey trap’ to get people on to his network for malicious reasons.

Reasons 2 & 3 represent a threat to you although 2 much less that 3.

If, as could be the case under 2 or 3 he is running IP sniffing software he could identify sites you choose to visit. Additionally if he is running a virus protection program this could alert him to computers connecting to his router as a lot of these are now network based rather than restricted to covering an individual PC

Equally if he has a non ISP provided router/modem, it will in all probability record the MAC addresses of the computers connecting to his router, which would highlight someone attaching to his computer.

That said, scenarios 1 & 2 are the most likely.