Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gay cake' appeal: Christian bakers Ashers lose appeal

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    And it's ended by a manager saying "he/she did not have the authority to offer that"
    Coming soon

The Great Belfast Bakeoff

In which, Ulster says no.

To Adam and Steve
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Shalom/salaam.
    10,000 years of Middle Eastern civilisation and the place is not at peace but rather in pieces.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alcatel For This Useful Post:

joggon (24-10-16)

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post

The Bigots.

The shit stirrer.
    he is an innocent mon ,fur fufty yeears he,s been an innocent mon

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Can a printer refuse to print stuff that is against his/her conscience?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bollocks For This Useful Post:

Best Before (25-10-16), Wolverine (25-10-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    Nonsense, unless it's written and signed, and no business worth their salt isn't going to a get out of jail free card written into the terms to cover their own arse.

Even a price tag on an item on a shop shelf is not legally binding by a long shot.
    What about recorded on security cameras?
    My wife caught me wearing ladies underwear and threatened to leave me.
    So I packed up all her clothes
    And left.

Quote Originally Posted by Floki View Post
    The Christian owners of a Northern Ireland bakery have lost their appeal against a ruling that their refusal to make a "gay cake" was discriminatory.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-37748681
    I disagree with the verdict at the time and I still do. Ashers had no problem doing business with the person in question who happened to be Gay. It was the message that was on on Cake that they took offence too, at the time and in particular to the word "Queer" which as everyone knows is a derogatory word, except within the Gay Community. At the time of reading it, It looked from my perspective to be publicity stunt. In that the person looking to have the Cake made, went straight to a bakers they were aware had staunch christian ideals knowing they would take offence. A form of Entrapment if you will.
    Last edited by Best Before; 25-10-16 at 12:30.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

philipkntz (25-10-16), willie wacker (25-10-16)

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    Can a printer refuse to print stuff that is against his/her conscience?
    You make a very good point bollocks.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

bollocks (25-10-16)

Asher’s have been very, very foolish. The equality commission initially offered them the opportunity to pay £20 compensation and say sorry. Now they are looking at recovering £75K in costs. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Now they are talking about the Supreme Court! In the name of god please stop.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigusdickus For This Useful Post:

LuckyLu (27-10-16)

I dsiagree with the verdict to some extent, but how do you draw the line.
    If they had refused to make a cake for a civil partnership of a same sex couple that would clearly be discrimination.
    If you refused to make a political cake, then I am not so sure. Let’s not forget the religious bigots and terrorists that run the Northern Ireland Assembly voted against abortion, gay marriage and prostitution. It’s those discriminatory narrow minded prats that should be in court.
    In Europe Lego refused to sell in bulk to a Chinese free speech artist. “We don’t have a political stance” they said. End of, no discrimination there.

Reviews

The court decision was the correct one. Ashers took the booking for the cake, and then refused to do it because it was for a homosexual event. Supposedly because it was against their religious beliefs. But they have cherry picked this out of all the other things quoted in the bible as being wrong or unclean or whatever. Do you hear about them refusing to serve women who are on their period? Ashers have chosen to take this further than was necessary, probably because someone else was footing the bill and for this reason I have no sympathy for them.
    In my job I have had dealings with people who I abhor, whose actions have affected my community, friends and family in a detrimental way, In normal day to day life I would have nothing to do with them, but in my job, I take a professional stance and deal with these people as I would any other. As a business, ashers should be taking a similar approach.

Asher's bakery support underage marriage and child sex! How so? Do a Google search for Judean marriage 2000 years ago. Shocking! If they are clinging to what the Bible says about marriage then they need to interpret that word as it was meant when it was written.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast