Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sexual Offenses Bill - 101

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default New Sexual Offenses Bill - 101

Hi everyone,

I have read a good few posts about the NSO Bill.
    Can anyone sum up clearly what this bill will change for ladies and clients.
    I'm a foreigner visiting Dublin regularly and would like to know where to stand.

Thanks.

Hi,

I am moving this to **Sex Work in the Media & Law** Section.

Amy

Reviews

It is a big bill, but the key change affecting ordinary users of a site like this is that the purchase of sexual services is being criminalised, so that clients potentially run the risk of being taken to court and fined if caught paying for sex.

A similar law was passed in Northern Ireland, and so far has not made any noticeable difference. There has been almost no enforcement of it. Opinions differ as to whether the same will happen in RoI.

If you want more detail, search on this site or Google, for "Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Bill 2015".
    Help Keyla fund her battle with cancer - give what you can spare.

https://gofund.me/8e340537

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MidlifeCrisis For This Useful Post:

IrishSarahBarra (02-02-17), Laura Lee (25-10-16), LLLLL (02-02-17), lycaon02 (08-10-16), milkman (03-11-16), Niloc (20-04-17), Super ModeratorTheNightShift (06-10-16)

5. Default

Thanks MidlifeCrisi. Very much appreciated.

Reviews

From my previous reading of it €500 fine for the first offence, €1000 second offence.
    The fine for sex with trafficking victim doubled/possible jail time.
    No change for offences of soliciting in public places, brothel keeping etc (i.e. TORL "aim" of decriminalising the sex worker, as in Sweden)

However the prostitution section of the bill is only a small part of the bill that includes new sexual offences, increased punishments for child sex, coercion of vulnerable people, child prostitution, incest and other nasty sex crimes that all right thinking people will agree with.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dob For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (25-10-16), LLLLL (02-02-17)

Reviews

This is being discussed at second stage in Dáil Eireann today -

http://www.oireachtas.ie/viewdoc.asp...3799&&CatID=60

I'm not sure when it will be voted on!
    Ride them on the beaches!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Libertarian For This Useful Post:

Laura Lee (03-11-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by The Libertarian View Post
    It has to be signed into law by Higgy first and then there is usually a date established as the starting date, which will most likely by announced publicly!
    The Bill hasn't finished in the Dáil yet, it was adjourned until a further date (not sure what yet), it then has to go back to the Seanad as it's a Seanad bill for final approval if the Dáil made any amendments. After there it then goes to the President for signing. We've at least another week of freedom

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoidberg For This Useful Post:

Cortez (05-02-17)

12. Default

So what's the latest? Can't find anything new in the news.

I'm also confused at the moment.

14. Default

Some technical changes were made and it's almost finalised. The Bill will likely become law within a couple of months. Best case scenario it won't be passed until after the summer recess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast