Thread: Everton classiest club on Merseyside

Reviews

Default Everton classiest club on Merseyside

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-37349922

Bradley Lowery: Mum thanks Everton for £200,000 cancer donation

The mother of a five-year-old Sunderland supporter who is fighting cancer has thanked a rival club for donating £200,000 to help him get treatment.
    Bradley Lowery, from Blackhall Colliery, near Hartlepool, was guest of honour atSunderland's Premier League game against Everton on Monday.
    Afterwards, Everton donated £200,000 to help send him to the USA for treatment.
    His mother Gemma said it felt like a lottery win.
    She told BBC Tees: "It's amazing, not in a million years did we think that would happen.
    "We were in the limo on the way home when my sister-in-law rang and told us about the donation.
    "I didn't believe her, we had to look on the internet to check if it was true.
    "When we saw it, everyone was screaming and shouting. It is like we have won the lottery."

The family has now raised in excess of the £700,000 they need for Bradley to have antibody treatment in New York, but still need to raise more to cover the costs of any complications.
    Mrs Lowery said: "We have now put the money down for the treatment, but the fundraising definitely needs to go on.
    "If it turns out Bradley doesn't need all the money that is raised, it will be given to someone else who needs it."
    Bradley was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in 2013.
    After two-years of "gruelling" chemotherapy he was effectively free of cancer and, for 18 months, was a "normal boy enjoying his life".
    But the cancer returned in June.
    Mrs Lowery said: "In the UK we can get him chemotherapy but the neuroblastoma would come back, the antibody treatment would hopefully prevent it from returning so that is our best chance of him surviving."
    Bradley led the Sunderland team out for the game and was warmly welcomed by the fans

The crowd applauded and sang "There's only one Bradley Lowery" in the fifth minute of the game and a banner carrying the message "We're with you, Bradley" was carried around the stadium.
    Commenting on the game for BBC Radio 5 Live, Ian Dennis said: "It's an extremely moving experience inside the Stadium of Light as the name of Bradley Lowery is being sang, the young five year old who is being cradled by his father, who I'm sure will have a lump in his throat."
    The club has supported Bradley for three years with a spokesman saying his is a good cause.
    As well as the donation, Everton has invited Bradley and his family as their guests to the return fixture.
    The club declined to comment further.
    Last edited by joggon; 14-09-16 at 00:22.
    Other opinions are allowed
    Age doesn't equal maturity - just look around !
    Unhappy ? press ignore user in settings

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joggon For This Useful Post:

Best Before (15-09-16), Bongo (24-09-16), mr gear (15-09-16), SophieX (16-09-16)

Quote Originally Posted by joggon View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-37349922

Bradley Lowery: Mum thanks Everton for £200,000 cancer donation

The mother of a five-year-old Sunderland supporter who is fighting cancer has thanked a rival club for donating £200,000 to help him get treatment.
    Bradley Lowery, from Blackhall Colliery, near Hartlepool, was guest of honour atSunderland's Premier League game against Everton on Monday.
    Afterwards, Everton donated £200,000 to help send him to the USA for treatment.
    His mother Gemma said it felt like a lottery win.
    She told BBC Tees: "It's amazing, not in a million years did we think that would happen.
    "We were in the limo on the way home when my sister-in-law rang and told us about the donation.
    "I didn't believe her, we had to look on the internet to check if it was true.
    "When we saw it, everyone was screaming and shouting. It is like we have won the lottery."

The family has now raised in excess of the £700,000 they need for Bradley to have antibody treatment in New York, but still need to raise more to cover the costs of any complications.
    Mrs Lowery said: "We have now put the money down for the treatment, but the fundraising definitely needs to go on.
    "If it turns out Bradley doesn't need all the money that is raised, it will be given to someone else who needs it."
    Bradley was diagnosed with neuroblastoma in 2013.
    After two-years of "gruelling" chemotherapy he was effectively free of cancer and, for 18 months, was a "normal boy enjoying his life".
    But the cancer returned in June.
    Mrs Lowery said: "In the UK we can get him chemotherapy but the neuroblastoma would come back, the antibody treatment would hopefully prevent it from returning so that is our best chance of him surviving."
    Bradley led the Sunderland team out for the game and was warmly welcomed by the fans

The crowd applauded and sang "There's only one Bradley Lowery" in the fifth minute of the game and a banner carrying the message "We're with you, Bradley" was carried around the stadium.
    Commenting on the game for BBC Radio 5 Live, Ian Dennis said: "It's an extremely moving experience inside the Stadium of Light as the name of Bradley Lowery is being sang, the young five year old who is being cradled by his father, who I'm sure will have a lump in his throat."
    The club has supported Bradley for three years with a spokesman saying his is a good cause.
    As well as the donation, Everton has invited Bradley and his family as their guests to the return fixture.
    The club declined to comment further.
    Coming from a Liverpool fan I agree this was a very classy Gesture. Never had a issue with Everton Fans, they have always shown solidarity with Liverpool FC fans over the a Hillsborough tragedy. And I think talking to other Liverpool fans most have a healthy respect for Everton fans too.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

redforever (15-09-16), scouserpete (15-09-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Best Before View Post
    Coming from a Liverpool fan I agree this was a very classy Gesture. Never had a issue with Everton Fans, they have always shown solidarity with Liverpool FC fans over the a Hillsborough tragedy. And I think talking to other Liverpool fans most have a healthy respect for Everton fans too.
    Dito. . .

. .

Blog Entries
    Reviews

as a life long Liverpool fan i have to say that was a fantastic gesture, I was actually watching the game and the young kid looked totally thrilled to be the Sunderland mascot. Its great to see that in the mad, money fueled premier league, some of the clubs are showing that there is more to life than selling shirts and gate receipts. YNWA Bradley Lowerey
    for as long as i can remember, i always wanted to be a gangster ....

Reviews

I have been to Old Trafford when we played Everton
    Their fans were mixing with Utd fans before and after the game , not an ounce of trouble.
    I,d say they could be one of the best set of fans in the world

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

8. Default

well done to them helping the young boy out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jackgc For This Useful Post:

joggon (18-09-16)