Thread: Journal.ie's Fact Check on 'Decriminalisation of Sex Work' Claimed in Upcoming Bill

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Reviews

Default Journal.ie's Fact Check on 'Decriminalisation of Sex Work' Claimed in Upcoming Bill

Journal.ie does an extensive fact check on claims by TORLERS that the 2015 Bill, which will no doubt form the basis of any upcoming one will effectively decriminalise sex work for service providers and this is the conclusion - MOSTLY FALSE!

http://www.thejournal.ie/sexual-offe...81672-Sep2016/

This excellent article also provides links to the 2015 Bill and previous anti sex worker/ anti sex work ones in The Republic!
    Ride them on the beaches!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The Libertarian For This Useful Post:

Empirical (19-09-16), EnglishAlex (19-09-16), GOSHH (27-09-16), joggon (22-09-16), Laura Lee (19-09-16), Mr Cuddles (20-09-16), Sexy Sandy 69 (19-09-16)

Reviews

That's a right bugger of an proposed law.
    Everything I do will be illegal.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by The Libertarian View Post
    Journal.ie does an extensive fact check on claims by TORLERS that the 2015 Bill, which will no doubt form the basis of any upcoming one will effectively decriminalise sex work for service providers and this is the conclusion - MOSTLY FALSE!

http://www.thejournal.ie/sexual-offe...81672-Sep2016/

This excellent article also provides links to the 2015 Bill and previous anti sex worker/ anti sex work ones in The Republic!
    Good article which is fairly definitive in terms of its conclusion.
    With respect to the proposed new section 7A "payment etc. for sexual activity with a prostitute which creates an offence for a person "who pays,gives, offers or promises to pay a person (including a prostitute) is somewhat unclear. Does it mean that it is a crime to pay "any person" for sex or is it only a crime to pay a certain "class of person" i.e. a prostitute for sex.
    The proposed legislation does not define prostitute but it does define "sexual activity" and the definition is fairly vague which appears to allow scope for the cops to bust a wide range of persons who may not consider themselves to be prostitutes e.g lap dancers.
    To my relatively untrained legal eye this appears rather more political than legal in content and is certain to be challenged in the courts. I think Fitzgerald is well out of her depth on this and there was good reasons why the much maligned previous MOJ kicked to touch on this one.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Dunn View Post
    Good article which is fairly definitive in terms of its conclusion.
    With respect to the proposed new section 7A "payment etc. for sexual activity with a prostitute which creates an offence for a person "who pays,gives, offers or promises to pay a person (including a prostitute) is somewhat unclear. Does it mean that it is a crime to pay "any person" for sex or is it only a crime to pay a certain "class of person" i.e. a prostitute for sex.
    The proposed legislation does not define prostitute but it does define "sexual activity" and the definition is fairly vague which appears to allow scope for the cops to bust a wide range of persons who may not consider themselves to be prostitutes e.g lap dancers.
    To my relatively untrained legal eye this appears rather more political than legal in content and is certain to be challenged in the courts. I think Fitzgerald is well out of her depth on this and there was good reasons why the much maligned previous MOJ kicked to touch on this one.
    Fitzgerald is abundantly out of her depth!
    If the relevant section makes it illegal to pay/promise to pay for sex with a 'prostitute' then we would be back in a situation which was thrown out by the supreme court in the past, i.e. the concept of a 'common Prostitute'! Technically, if that was the wording and I offered her 50 cents for OWO with a full swallow, I wouldnt br doing anything illegal because as far as we know the lovely Minister is not and has never been a 'prostitute'! Also surely to be categorised for ever more as a prostitute, you would have to be convicted as one in the first place and how can you be permanently described as one forever?
    Fitgerald is a 'conviction' politician and the one major conviction that she has on this one is that she is a feminist, but a 'feminist' on her own terms!

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by The Libertarian View Post
    Fitzgerald is abundantly out of her depth!
    Which makes her an ideal candidate for next leader of Fine Gael

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by EIFII View Post
    Which makes her an ideal candidate for next leader of Fine Gael
    There is no way that The Blueshirts will have her as their next fuhrer or a gay man who is one of the prominent contenders either, but it actually has nothing to do with either of their abilities or lack of them!

Reviews

So what is the current state of play- has any legislation been passed lately ?