Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did Pope Benedict XVI resign?

Reviews

Default Why did Pope Benedict XVI resign?

Benedict XVI shocked the world in February when he became the first pope to resign in almost 600 years. But attention shifted quickly to the succession, and the election of the new Pope, Francis. Amid the drama, one question was never fully answered - why did Benedict quit?
    Pope Benedict's official resignation statement offered his waning physical and mental powers as the explanation, but it's long been suspected there was more to it. And my inquiries have confirmed that.

I went to visit the Nigerian Cardinal, Francis Arinze at his apartment overlooking St Peter's. He's one of the most senior figures in the church and knows the Vatican like the back of his hand. He was even, for a short time in March of this year, mooted as a possible successor to Pope Benedict. And he was one of the select handful of senior church officials who were in the Pope's Apostolic Palace when he broke the news to them personally.

I raised the subject of the scandals that had preceded the Pope's bombshell decision and, in particular the Vatileaks affair in which the Pope's butler, Paolo Gabriele, had leaked confidential documents exposing Vatican power struggles. Could that have been a factor in his resignation? His answer was unexpected.

"It is legitimate for a person to speculate and say 'Maybe,' because some of his documents were taken secretly. It could be one of the reasons," he told me.
    "Maybe he was so pained that his own butler leaked out so many letters that a journalist was able to write a book. It can be one of the reasons. I don't expect him to be enjoying that event."
    In the Vatican, young ambitious members of the church are advised to "hear a lot, see everything and say nothing". That such a senior figure should essentially countenance a departure from the official line is significant.

Essentially, Pope Benedict was a teaching Pope, a theologian and intellectual. "His idea of hell would be to be sent on a one-week management training seminar," one insider told me. His misfortune was to accede to the papacy at a time that there was a power vacuum, in which a number of middle-ranking members of the Roman curia, the Church's civil service, had turned into "little Borgias" as another clerical official put it.
    Find out more

Mark Dowd presents The Report on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday 28 November at 20:00 GMT
    Listen via the website
    Download the programme
    The Best of The Report
    Don't take my word for it, this assessment comes from the highest source - the current leader of the Church. And Pope Francis does not mince his words. "The court is the leprosy of the papacy," he has said. He has described the curia as "narcissistic" and "self-referential". This is what Joseph Ratzinger had to deal with.

Over a period of time dating back to final years of Pope John Paul II, the heart of the HQ of the Roman Church had become dominated by infighting cliques. This was what the Pope's butler, Paolo Gabriele said he wanted to expose by photocopying and leaking all those documents.

But Gabriele said his relationship with Pope Benedict was like "father and son". So why did he act in a way that was sure to embarrass a man he was clearly close to?

"He said he had seen many ugly things inside the Vatican. At a certain point he couldn't take it any more," says his lawyer Cristiana Arru, clutching her rosary beads, in only her second ever public interview. "And so he looked for a way out. He says he saw lies being told. He thought that the Pope was being kept in the dark regarding key events."

Gabriele was found guilty of "aggravated theft" and spent three months in custody before being pardoned by the Pope. But that was not the end of it. The Church's leader set up an inquiry into the whole affair.

Three Cardinals produced a 300-page report. It was meant to be kept under lock and key, but a leading Italian daily claimed it had been briefed on its contents. The result? More embarrassing leaks, this time with claims of a network of gay priests exerting "inappropriate influence" inside the Vatican.

The headaches continued to mount for the German Pope. In many journalistic endeavours, "follow the money" is good advice for getting to grips with what is really going on, and it applies to the Vatican too. One of the most eyebrow-raising stories we encountered involved an annual Nativity scene in St Peter's Square.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-25121121

I kid you not the most anti Gay institution on the planet as been taken over by homosexuals. But evil one's Hell bent on repressing there gay brothers.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Read the first 2 paragraphs then went hhhhmmmm I wonder if there's anything interesting to read around here.!!!!!!
    "I'm the leader of the pack which makes me such a lucky jack. And here they are, they're so appealing, OK dollies do your dealing."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce 4play For This Useful Post:

joggon (01-09-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce 4play View Post
    Read the first 2 paragraphs then went hhhhmmmm I wonder if there's anything interesting to read around here.!!!!!!
    What are you implying?

Reviews

Benedict was a stop gap figure, even when he became Pope it was said at the time that he would not see out his time , that he would only be there for 4 years , they were wrong he was there for 7,ish

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

6. The Following User Says Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

irishdeltaforce (31-08-16)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    What are you implying?
    It's not a difficult one to work out chap.
    Booooorrrrrrring
    "I'm the leader of the pack which makes me such a lucky jack. And here they are, they're so appealing, OK dollies do your dealing."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce 4play For This Useful Post:

joggon (01-09-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce 4play View Post
    It's not a difficult one to work out chap.
    Booooorrrrrrring

I'm sorry but I have no interest in church politics now other then that which discredits the hypocrisy of the church. So no clue sorry. Is it beyond you to explain it to us mere humanists?

real reason was his growing ds addiction.

everyone thinking hes going around bowing his head in prayer with his hands in his kosak or whatever its called. mad for the mario.

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    I'm sorry but I have no interest in church politics now other then that which discredits the hypocrisy of the church. So no clue sorry. Is it beyond you to explain it to us mere humanists?
    Yes. I've better things to do. Bye bye.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce 4play For This Useful Post:

joggon (01-09-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLauraDD View Post
    real reason was his growing ds addiction.

everyone thinking hes going around bowing his head in prayer with his hands in his kosak or whatever its called. mad for the mario.
    Nintendo DS? Think of me as a bible bashing evangelist prod & explain it to me in those terms please?

theres a whole load of telling people what to be doing on here.

basically, bubba, the serpent king, lord lucifer himself, created these demon machines to warp the minds of the children, the weak and the feeble minded. cutting the wheat from the chaff. a present day scourge upon all our lives.

we should be very worried. buy more guns, stockpile ammo, maintain a large amount of canned food and bottled water.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IrishLauraDD For This Useful Post:

irishdeltaforce (31-08-16)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast