Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Physical location of the E-I 'box'

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gitmo Nation East
    Posts
    1,745
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    4

    Thumbs up Physical location of the E-I 'box'

    So, assuming E-I isn't big enough to warrant some kind of CDN and that there's a crusty old server jammed in a rack in some datacenter somewhere, where is that located? I'm just thinking out loud that with the new law in N. Ireland, if it was in a data center in the UK (or even within Europe if/until Brexit happens) could it be subject to a search warrant? Is there any part of the company based in the UK for that matter that may have client data?

    It would all be circumstantial data, but knowing myself how forums log IP addresses of everything, say plod had nothing better to do and convinced a judge to nab the server, between email address and IP addresses there could be a link to an individual, and say if that individual had been sending incriminating PMs to an escort it could be enough to have you hauled infront of a judge. We all know that it wouldn't be real hard evidence that anything actually happened, but given the stigma around paying for sex it would be difficult to convince a jury that a PMs/reviews aren't a smoking gun.

    I tried to put the IP into a geolocator but it just comes up the ddos protection company in New York so I'm none the wiser.

    If it is within Europe, and say similar laws came into force in the Republic, would the admins ever consider disabling IP logging on the forum?

    FB.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    379
    Reviews
    26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    So, assuming E-I isn't big enough to warrant some kind of CDN and that there's a crusty old server jammed in a rack in some datacenter somewhere, where is that located? I'm just thinking out loud that with the new law in N. Ireland, if it was in a data center in the UK (or even within Europe if/until Brexit happens) could it be subject to a search warrant? Is there any part of the company based in the UK for that matter that may have client data?

    It would all be circumstantial data, but knowing myself how forums log IP addresses of everything, say plod had nothing better to do and convinced a judge to nab the server, between email address and IP addresses there could be a link to an individual, and say if that individual had been sending incriminating PMs to an escort it could be enough to have you hauled infront of a judge. We all know that it wouldn't be real hard evidence that anything actually happened, but given the stigma around paying for sex it would be difficult to convince a jury that a PMs/reviews aren't a smoking gun.

    I tried to put the IP into a geolocator but it just comes up the ddos protection company in New York so I'm none the wiser.

    If it is within Europe, and say similar laws came into force in the Republic, would the admins ever consider disabling IP logging on the forum?

    FB.
    Interesting comments.This could be important at some point in the future especially as I seem to recall a provision in the proposed legislation down South that creates an offence for "attempting to purchase sexual services". If that were the case it would be a lot easier to secure convictions on the basis of data that was gathered in the manner suggested above. Not sure if it would be admissible as evidence by the court but you never know.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Reviews
    195

    Default

    Would they be bothered going to all that trouble trying to secure court orders in foreign jurisdictions?
    Would it not be easier just to call a few escorts and sit down outside their apartments?

    I would love to know what level of proof they would require.

    Isn't it ridiculous that there are murderers wandering about, drug dealers laundering their money blatantly that whole neighbourhoods are aware of what's going on and the Gardai do nothing.
    Yet with new laws they'd waste their time harassing consenting adults trying to have a little harmless fun.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gitmo Nation East
    Posts
    1,745
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Dunn View Post
    Interesting comments.This could be important at some point in the future especially as I seem to recall a provision in the proposed legislation down South that creates an offence for "attempting to purchase sexual services". If that were the case it would be a lot easier to secure convictions on the basis of data that was gathered in the manner suggested above. Not sure if it would be admissible as evidence by the court but you never know.
    It's interesting times indeed. Just remember that if you're in front of a jury and have to prove your innocence, it'll be hard to convince normies that your posts, PMs, reviews didn't end up in you buying sex.

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Would they be bothered going to all that trouble trying to secure court orders in foreign jurisdictions?
    Would it not be easier just to call a few escorts and sit down outside their apartments?

    I would love to know what level of proof they would require.
    If it's in Spain (which I'm almost certain it is) it's not totally foreign (so long as we're all happy Europeans). Brussels appears to be anti-sex work so it's not outside the realms of possibility that it could be seized, especially since every escort is a kidnapped trafficked and forced into it to pay for drugs, and every client is a total sleezeball rapist what official in the chain would be the one to just not go along with it for fear of being named in the press as the official who wouldn't help all those poor defenceless sex slaves? The server would be a goldmine for them!


    It just came into my head thinking about this news story of the US courts trying to access a Microsoft email account but the actual physical server the emails are on are in Ireland. That's getting awkward since it's USA court trying to get Irish hardware (even thought its owned by a US company). It would be alot easier if it was all happening within Europe.

    Would possible mitigation be shifting the server to some far flung corner of the globe out of reach of warrants? Problem there is the directors could be held liable if they're ordered to produce server logs/IP addresses and would staff be willing to go down in defence of us?

    It has the potential to get very mucky. Also, I'm not picking on E-I. I'm picking on any UK/Europe based site that has similar client info/message systems/logs now that it technically could be used as evidence.
    Last edited by FatBastard; 04-08-16 at 12:26. Reason: I accidentally a word

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to FatBastard For This Useful Post:

    TonyB (05-08-16)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    255

    Default

    This is actually a very important point to bring up FB, it could be potentially a powder keg under the bed.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Gitmo Nation East
    Posts
    1,745
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MisterSmith8091 View Post
    This is actually a very important point to bring up FB, it could be potentially a powder keg under the bed.
    Especially since the same law is being railroaded down south too. It could completely fuck reviews beyond repair because a pile of people actively leaving reviews has the potential to warrant a warrant.

    Just would be interested to hear E-I the company's plan for when it comes to pass. If anything.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatBastard View Post
    Especially since the same law is being railroaded down south too. It could completely fuck reviews beyond repair because a pile of people actively leaving reviews has the potential to warrant a warrant.

    Just would be interested to hear E-I the company's plan for when it comes to pass. If anything.
    Lets just cross our fingers and hope its in England, or the US, eh Bud!

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,478
    Reviews
    195

    Default

    Host from China.
    That's where the dodgy TV boxes have moved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •