Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: cuckoo storm

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    340

    Default cuckoo storm

    good morning everyone .another wet and windy morning .there is an old saying that a wet and windy start to april heralds the arrival of the cuckoo .

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    :o)
    Posts
    15,912

    Default

    i thought you were talking about some of the new posters on here.


    Good morning all.... almost the weekend...
    Time and companionship

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SophieX For This Useful Post:

    funlover12 (07-04-16)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    872
    Blog Entries
    1
    Reviews
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by easygo View Post
    good morning everyone .another wet and windy morning .there is an old saying that a wet and windy start to april heralds the arrival of the cuckoo .
    And it was always said "a cuckoo lays eggs in another bird's nest. They don't build their own. Of course not. We all know Cuckoo's live In Clocks.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,388
    Reviews
    156

    Default

    Haven't seen or heard a cuckoo in years.
    In the past they were a common sound around farms and had their favourite trees.
    Nor a curlew either for that matter.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    :o)
    Posts
    15,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Haven't seen or heard a cuckoo in years.
    There was one on here once upon a time.....😂
    Time and companionship

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    18,970
    Reviews
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SophieX View Post
    There was one on here once upon a time.....��
    I thought there was more than one


    " WE ARE CONNACHT "

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SophieX View Post
    i thought you were talking about some of the new posters on here.


    Good morning all.... almost the weekend...
    ""Here in Cloud Cuckoo Land, there are no rules! There's no government, no babysitters, no bedtimes, no frowny faces, no bushy mustaches, and no negativity of any kind. [Wyldstyle: "You just said the word 'no', like, a thousand times."] And there's also no consistency!
    quote from lego movie
    some of us i suppose live in cloud cuckoo land at times

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    18,970
    Reviews
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Haven't seen or heard a cuckoo in years.
    In the past they were a common sound around farms and had their favourite trees.
    Nor a curlew either for that matter.
    Start taking walks in the country for the next 2 months and on a warm evening you will hear them.
    From a distance they look like pigeons


    " WE ARE CONNACHT "

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

    easygo (07-04-16)

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,388
    Reviews
    156

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willie wacker View Post
    Start taking walks in the country for the next 2 months and on a warm evening you will hear them.
    From a distance they look like pigeons
    I live on a farm. They had their favourite trees and came back every year.
    Haven't seen or heard one for years. They have gone completely from large areas of the country and no-one really knows why.

    "Cuckoo joins list of threatened birds"
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details....d=tcm:9-217895

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

    willie wacker (07-04-16)

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    18,970
    Reviews
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    I live on a farm. They had their favourite trees and came back every year.
    Haven't seen or heard one for years. They have gone completely from large areas of the country and no-one really knows why.

    "Cuckoo joins list of threatened birds"
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/news/details....d=tcm:9-217895
    The reason is their migration route
    Their route along Spain and France has the biggest concentration shotgun in Europe
    And their favourite sport is to shoot migrating birds , which is illegal , but doe,s not apply to them , in their eye,s anyway.


    And they have to pass by twice a year , so their odds are against them


    " WE ARE CONNACHT "

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

    SteveB (07-04-16)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •