Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: which laptop to buy?

so i went into currys and harvey norman.

currys seems like a rip off. they didnt have any 2GB memory laptops. told me to buy a 4GB one instead. then the anti virus was 160 euro or something and the microsoft office was 140 or something. laptop would cost 400. total cost was around the 700 euro mark. on their website you could get norton for 35 euro and microsoft word on its own. (i didnt mention this to him)

harvey normans then was better. he said a 2GB memory would be grand for what i would be doing (might take half a second longer to load up word he said). 329 for a hp laptop and 100 together for the microsoft office and anti virus.

will look on their websites to see if i can get a better deal but leaning towards harvey norman.

oh and stay away from currys
    "The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation" - Henry David Thoreau.

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    Im getting a new laptop. my question is should i buy a cheaper one for around 250 euro that has 2GB of memory or a dearer one with 4GB of memory. Bearing in mind all i use the laptop is internet and microsoft word. would a 2GB laptop run smoothly just using the internet and microsoft word and anti-virus as well.
    Unless you looking for something to do Cad or rendering, you won't need anything more than 2gb. Pick your your anti-virus wisely some have a lot of bloatware in them.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

Meursault (31-03-16)

so i went into currys and harvey norman.

currys seems like a rip off. they didnt have any 2GB memory laptops. told me to buy a 4GB one instead. then the anti virus was 160 euro or something and the microsoft office was 140 or something. laptop would cost 400. total cost was around the 700 euro mark. on their website you could get norton for 35 euro and microsoft word on its own. (i didnt mention this to him)

harvey normans then was better. he said a 2GB memory would be grand for what i would be doing (might take half a second longer to load up word he said). 329 for a hp laptop and 100 together for the microsoft office and anti virus.

will look on their websites to see if i can get a better deal but leaning towards harvey norman.

oh and stay away from currys
    100 for microsoft office and virus sounds very reasonable.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” - Oscar Wilde

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Best Before For This Useful Post:

Meursault (31-03-16)

how about this deal:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-as...335024/401.0.0

i would only have to download the anti virus (norton for 30 euro)

Reviews

Have you thought of going for a refurbished laptop? You can get quite high spec for very little money. The link provided gives an example. I have bought from this company myself with no problem.

http://www.rectech.co.uk/7,1447,lapt..._4gb_0516.html

8. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Meursault (31-03-16)

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    Have you thought of going for a refurbished laptop? You can get quite high spec for very little money. The link provided gives an example. I have bought from this company myself with no problem.

http://www.rectech.co.uk/7,1447,lapt..._4gb_0516.html
    will look into it thanks

Reviews

Try one of the computer repair places, they sell reconditioned laptops with anti virus , and word installed and a years guarantee , you would pick up a good one for €200 - €250

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ford pefect For This Useful Post:

Meursault (31-03-16)

Reviews

how about this deal:

http://www.currys.ie/Product/acer-as...335024/401.0.0

i would only have to download the anti virus (norton for 30 euro)
    They are asking too much. Check out Amazon or Google and you'll see the same product for a good bit less.

Personally I would not sign up to Office 365. Buy a non-subscription version and it wiĺl be cheaper in the long run.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MidlifeCrisis For This Useful Post:

Meursault (31-03-16)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast