Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laura Lee high court challange

Reviews

Default Laura Lee high court challange

Northern Ireland's first and deputy first ministers have intervened in a sex worker's court challenge to a new law that makes paying for sex illegal.

The legislation came into effect in June 2015, but it is now the subject of a High Court challenge from Dublin-born sex worker and law graduate, Laura Lee.

The case was adjourned on Friday after a last-minute challenge on behalf of Arlene Foster and Martin McGuinness.

The judge said there was no clear explanation for the late intervention.
    'Highly improper'

The court heard Attorney General John Larkin had been instructed to launch the challenge on behalf of the Office of the First and Deputy First Ministers (OFMDFM).

Lawyers for Ms Lee complained to the judge that the "grossly late" move was a "highly improper and unorthodox" attempt to stop the case advancing to a full hearing.

Northern Ireland was the first and only part of the UK to pass a law that made it a crime to pay for sexual services, shifting criminal responsibility from prostitutes to their clients.

The legislation was brought before Stormont by the Democratic Unionist Party peer, Lord Morrow, as part of his Human Trafficking and Exploitation Bill.

Ms Lee, 38, has campaigned against it, claiming it would drive prostitution underground and put sex workers at greater risk of violence from clients.

Opponents of the law claim it makes it increasingly difficult for prostitutes to screen customers who may use fake names and disposable phones.
    'Deeply concerned'

The judge adjourned the case until next month, but requested full reasons for the intervention, which was made on the eve of the hearing.

"I accept that this application made on behalf of the attorney general, who is acting for the first minister and deputy first minister, has not been accompanied with any clear or cogent explanation as to the course of events," he said.

Ms Lee's judicial review challenge is directed at the Department of Justice (DOJ), led by Justice Minister David Ford, who also opposed the criminalisation of those who pay for prostitution.

A barrister representing the DOJ confirmed it was not opposing Ms Lee's application for a judicial review of the new law, on the basis that an arguable case had been established.

However, Ms Lee's legal team criticised the attempt by another Stormont department to become involved in the case.

"My client is deeply concerned at the proposed, grossly late intervention on the part of the Office of First Minister and Deputy First Minister," her lawyer told the court.

"We say it's highly improper and unorthodox, effectively OFMDFM are seeking to resist the grant of leave against the Department of Justice."

The court heard the OFMDFM challenge raised a potential devolution issue and the judge allowed the department an opportunity to explain the late move.

Sourcehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35614364

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

AVERAGEJOE (20-02-16), casman (19-02-16), english tara (22-02-16), JAMESCORK (19-02-16), Mister Anderson (19-02-16), Mr Cuddles (19-02-16), redforever (19-02-16), robbie9 (19-02-16), SteveB (19-02-16), willie wacker (19-02-16)

Reviews

And the DFM up there is a Shinner , and I bet some punters will run out next Friday and give them their first preference vote . Wake up to the Shinner threat boys .

I have waited patiently for canvassers to turn up on my doorstep but no luck yet !!!

Anyone see Mary Lou's savage look at a member of the public who dared to question her on her canvas in Dublin today . Asking " who are you " in a very intimidating way ......

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Playitsam For This Useful Post:

TonyStark (20-02-16), willie wacker (19-02-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Playitsam View Post
    And the DFM up there is a Shinner , and I bet some punters will run out next Friday and give them their first preference vote . Wake up to the Shinner threat boys .

I have waited patiently for canvassers to turn up on my doorstep but no luck yet !!!

Anyone see Mary Lou's savage look at a member of the public who dared to question her on her canvas in Dublin today . Asking " who are you " in a very intimidating way ......
    jesus, would you ever go and grow up. Fine, you are not a sinn fein supporter, but take your scaremongering and talk of threats somewhere else, no one cares.

Reviews

Missing the good old days when one didn't question them.
    Not if you liked your kneecaps................

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SteveB For This Useful Post:

Reviews

Shinners have always been and will always be a shower of intimidators
    Gerry can even answer question on his tax policy except to accuse them of being biased
    Last edited by willie wacker; 19-02-16 at 19:53.

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

Harry123 (20-02-16), TonyStark (20-02-16), Vitruvian (19-02-16)

Reviews

All the parties are the same on this issue. I'd say vote independent where possible.
    An that fella having a dig at Mary Lou was an obvious plant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolverine For This Useful Post:

Reviews

"My client is deeply concerned at the proposed, grossly late intervention on the part of the Office of First Minister and Deputy First Minister," her lawyer told the court.

"We say it's highly improper and unorthodox, effectively OFMDFM are seeking to resist the grant of leave against the Department of Justice."

"improper and unorthodox" is the polite legal term.
    DUP/Shinners have a lot going on that is improper and unorthodox.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by willie wacker View Post
    Shinners have always been and will always be a shower of intimidators
    Gerry can even answer question on his tax policy except to accuse them of being biased
    Unlike fg,ff and labour , sinn fein same to know the difference between 10 and 12 billion. One man admitting he is not good on figures, three parties who can't count, can't read and fg who will not admit they are wrong.

Reviews

I'm no more anti Sinn Fein than most of the other established parties, but they really need to loose the old faces who are steeped in terrorism and also get their sums to add up . I do have some sympathy for them as they do get hammered by mainstream media and I've no doubt it's driven by FG / Lab

Reviews

I'm no more anti Sinn Fein than most of the other established parties, but they really need to loose the old faces who are steeped in terrorism and also get their sums to add up . I do have some sympathy for them as they do get hammered by mainstream media and I've no doubt it's driven by FG / Lab
    Those old faces are the people who have brought the party to its present position, so why on earth should they get rid of them. The only people calling for their removal are their opponents, very telling that eh? the other established parties are running scared of sinn fein because they have upset the natural order of Irish politics, you know, where you can do what you like to the public and they will elect you back in because they have no other choice. I would doubt that sinn fein would be any better in goverment that fg, ff or lab, but in all honesty, do you really think they can be any worse than the shower who have gone before them?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast