Thread: Spermbots

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Default Spermbots

This is pretty awesome. And a bit weird.

Researchers from Germany's Institute for Integrative Nanosciences at IFW Dresden have successfully developed and tested magnetically powered robotic suits that strap onto individual sperm. Researchers can then guide the spermbot to its intended destination (an egg, of course).

These robosperm solve a very important, and common, infertility issue: sperm with poor mobility. Artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization are techniques used now to treat the issue, but they're both expensive, and have a high failure rate — in the U.K., 30% of such procedures end up succeeding. So instead of using the spray-and-pray approach that evolution has gifted us, scientists vastly increase the chances of one single sperm reaching its target egg by steering it straight there themselves.

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/01/101290/robot-sperm-infertility-treatment

I do wonder if it's going against the survival of the fittest principle though, the first race in life is your most important
    Last edited by Mister Anderson; 15-01-16 at 22:09.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mister Anderson For This Useful Post:

tom sand (16-01-16), whoseyourdaddy (15-01-16)

Reviews

I think that there'd be more demand for magnetically powered robotic suits that strap onto individual egg and propel it away from attacking sperm.
    My wife caught me wearing ladies underwear and threatened to leave me.
    So I packed up all her clothes
    And left.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to philipkntz For This Useful Post:

Mister Anderson (15-01-16)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by philipkntz View Post
    I think that there'd be more demand for magnetically powered robotic suits that strap onto individual egg and propel it away from attacking sperm.

I'd have an army of heavily armed nanobots patrolling my balls all day with phazers set to kill.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Anderson For This Useful Post:

tom sand (16-01-16)