Thread: Watch out for the cameras

Reviews

Default Watch out for the cameras

Irishman 'in shock' after €10k blackmail demands in social media sex scam
    5/14

Irish Independent

The young man, from Cork but who does not want to be identified, was threatened by an Eastern European woman after she sent him a video of him viewing her naked and performing sex acts on camera.

The woman, who was in her 20s, later contacted the young man and said that if he did not pay €10,000 to a specific account she would trace and contact his family and friends about the performance.

After refusing to pay, the young man contacted Cork radio station RedFm to highlight the scam.

"I didn't care what she did - I told her point blank that I wasn't paying anything," he said.

But the single man decided to go public because he became convinced the woman had attempted such scams before.

The duo came in contact via a social media site last November after he received a friend request from the woman which she later claimed was sent by mistake.

"I was in town (Cork city centre) getting something to eat. I checked into a restaurant Wifi and got (social media) message from her saying you are in the city centre - I am too, would you like to meet," he said.

"I said: 'Yes, come along.' She came over and we were chatting away.

"I thought she was sound out, a lovely girl. She said she was from Poland originally and had a broken accent. We went off together and two pints turned into about 18.

"She said would you like to come back to my friend's house. We went back there. I won't say what happened.

"She came across as the soundest girl I ever met in a very long time.

"(The woman) said she was studying to be a nurse. I was not very interested in what she was doing because she was stunning looking. I was just in awe of her.

"She was grand after that night. I totally forgot about it until yesterday when she sent me a message," he continued.

"She asked was I on (video calls) and I said 'No, I am not into it.'

"She said she would ring me through (social media) messenger. I wasn't in the form as I was half asleep.

"Then I got a message video call coming through and I just hung up, She kept ringing, ringing and ringing. I kept hanging up.

"Then I answered a (video) call and as I was looking at phone I said 'what the hell is going on here'. There she was starkers lying on a bed.

"She started going to town on herself if you get me and I was 'right okay'. I watched and it went on for two or three minutes. She was asking me to do stuff. I was reluctant and said 'no I am not into this at all.' She kept going on for another few minutes. Next thing she just stopped and the camera went off."

A short time later, the young man received a lengthy social media message which he interpreted as very threatening.

"She was saying 'do not end this call, you are under great threat and all this kind of stuff.' She played a video of me watching her and said I will release this video to all your family members and the people of Cork," he said.

"She named most of my family members that she must have got on (social media) and sent me a long list of names.

"Then she demanded €5,000 or she was going to release the video and let it go viral. She never gave me an account number but kept asking have you paid yet? She then demanded €10,000."

The young man refused to pay and she threatened him again.

"She told me I could go to the police, she didn't care what I did.

"She definitely has done this with other people and she will catch someone. She was professional and I think there was more than her involved. You could see she had done this before as she caught me hook, line and sinker.

"I believe she was very threatening towards me and tried to intimidate me."

The young man lodged a complaint with the social media service provider and said he is now also considering going to the Gardai.

"I am in shock over being blackmailed. I just want to warn others to be careful who they friend on (sites) and to be aware of the dangers that are out there".

The young man said he shuddered to think what would have happened if a married man had answered the video call and been filmed watching the woman's sex act.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cortez For This Useful Post:

blue rebel (11-01-16), Larrii (12-01-16), Sexy Sandy 69 (12-01-16)

Reviews

Every guys worse nightmare were it to happen to him especially if he were married or in a relationship

Blog Entries
    Reviews

If that were me I would have been recording the whole thing too. And then when she threatened me I would have posted a link to it on her social media page. And mine also if I had one.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
    The duo came in contact via a social media site last November after he received a friend request from the woman which she later claimed was sent by mistake.
    Good old social media again — where would we be without it?
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Reviews

It's a bizarre scam if that's what it is.
    Randomly contacts a guy on social media, presumably shagged him then starts stalking him on said social media?
    Could it be she was just miffed that he blew her off after their first meeting and pulled this stunt?

If it's a scam, it's not very professional.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whoseyourdaddy For This Useful Post:

Petros (12-01-16), tom sand (12-01-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
    It's a bizarre scam if that's what it is.
    Randomly contacts a guy on social media, presumably shagged him then starts stalking him on said social media?
    Could it be she was just miffed that he blew her off after their first meeting and pulled this stunt?

If it's a scam, it's not very professional.
    From reading it I'm sure something is missing but I was thinking the same when I read it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Petros For This Useful Post:

whoseyourdaddy (12-01-16)

Reviews

This experience is being played down here, it has led to at least one suicide in this country and possibly a few more. From what I can see it is a gang using a recorded video pretending to be the "friend" on social media. It can be very frightening and the threat of all your friends on that site receiving a video of your in your skimpies at least can be very scary, leading to some people taking their own lives. The consensus seems to be to delete the friend, change your email and social media passwords and ignore, reasoning is if you don't have any further contact they will not get any money from you so will lose interest.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doodlebug For This Useful Post:

Sexy Sandy 69 (12-01-16), tom sand (12-01-16), whoseyourdaddy (12-01-16)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
    This experience is being played down here, it has led to at least one suicide in this country and possibly a few more. From what I can see it is a gang using a recorded video pretending to be the "friend" on social media. It can be very frightening and the threat of all your friends on that site receiving a video of your in your skimpies at least can be very scary, leading to some people taking their own lives. The consensus seems to be to delete the friend, change your email and social media passwords and ignore, reasoning is if you don't have any further contact they will not get any money from you so will lose interest.
    Hear what your saying Doodlebug but I doubt that's the issue in this case.You are talking about social media bullying which is a serious issue and can be devastating to many people.

If this was the lady's intention, she went to extraordinary lengths to entrap this random lad who she could never have known could pay her ransom.

There is a lot missing in the reportage here. The 'print media' love nothing better than to scare the bejesus out of us about social media and I just don't buy it.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by whoseyourdaddy View Post
    Hear what your saying Doodlebug but I doubt that's the issue in this case.You are talking about social media bullying which is a serious issue and can be devastating to many people.

If this was the lady's intention, she went to extraordinary lengths to entrap this random lad who she could never have known could pay her ransom.

There is a lot missing in the reportage here. The 'print media' love nothing better than to scare the bejesus out of us about social media and I just don't buy it.
    The case of the suicide did not involve social media bullying but the scenario outlined above, except no actual meeting took place. The poor young man was afraid his image would be shared to his "friends" list. That is why I said the experience is being played down.