Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Getting fit... Loosing some weight

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    Cut out /reduce to a minimum bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits.
    Cut out takeaways.
    Get your carbs from vegetables and some fruit.
    Cut out smoothies , eat some wholefruit instead.
    Reduce spreads, a little whole butter is better than margarine.
    Get your protein from chicken breast, fish, eggs, pulses, beans.
    Cut out fry ups.
    Steam or grill food.
    Cut out sugary soft drinks.
    Cut out /reduce sugar in tea/coffee.
    Reduce /eliminate alcohol - useless dead calories.
    Reduce portion sizes at meals.
    Eat dinner from smaller plates-less on the plate.
    Cut out desserts.
    At the end of a meal if still hungry, wait twenty minutes and appetite may have decreased.
    Eat 3small well balanced meals a day and avoid snacking between meals.
    Don't keep chocolate, sweets, crisps in the house.
    Exercise.
    If not accustomed to it, start slowly, perhaps get a medical check up especially if over 40.
    Take up something you might enjoy as exercise, more likely to keep it up.
    If not in the first flush of youth, mind the joints, don't run on concrete-swim, cycle, use cross/elliptical trainer.
    On short journeys, walk instead of car.
    Use the stairs instead of lifts.
    Join a gym.
    Do some weight training but also some stretching/yoga for flexibility and cardio for stamina/heart health.
    Exercise classes are not just for women, exercise to music can be motivating /addictive.

If motivation is a problem try joining a walking group, running club, join a gym with a friend. A social side to exercise may keep one motivated.
    And if joining a gym in January don't stop by February but keeo going through the year.

All excellent advice, and you might make note of the general theme throughout the list:

That most of 'the battle' is fought in the kitchen, NOT in the gym! The gym is the more glamorous side of it, and it brings to mind images of big muscles and chiselled abs, sweating and grunting as you rip through a heavy weights routine. But the simple fact is that the real work in getting fitter, and certainly getting healthy again, has to be a battle waged primarily in the kitchen.

Look at the list again. See all the things you're advised to reduce or cut out from your diet? This is the REAL hard work, where the real struggle exists. You've got to get into reading the labels of everything you eat. Avoiding hidden sugar is harder than you will believe, because it's practically in EVERYTHING. There's sugar in most breads! There's sugar in spaghetti bolognese sauces! There's sugar in Bisto gravy! It's everywhere!

So read the list above and read your food labels, and let the real hard work of getting healthy begin!
    Fighting the Good Fight...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cable87 For This Useful Post:

Zealot7 (28-12-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by alcatel View Post
    Cut out /reduce to a minimum bread, pasta, cakes, biscuits.
    Cut out takeaways.
    Get your carbs from vegetables and some fruit.
    Cut out smoothies , eat some wholefruit instead.
    Reduce spreads, a little whole butter is better than margarine.
    Get your protein from chicken breast, fish, eggs, pulses, beans.
    Cut out fry ups.
    Steam or grill food.
    Cut out sugary soft drinks.
    Cut out /reduce sugar in tea/coffee.
    Reduce /eliminate alcohol - useless dead calories.
    Reduce portion sizes at meals.
    Eat dinner from smaller plates-less on the plate.
    Cut out desserts.
    At the end of a meal if still hungry, wait twenty minutes and appetite may have decreased.
    Eat 3small well balanced meals a day and avoid snacking between meals.
    Don't keep chocolate, sweets, crisps in the house.
    Exercise.
    If not accustomed to it, start slowly, perhaps get a medical check up especially if over 40.
    Take up something you might enjoy as exercise, more likely to keep it up.
    If not in the first flush of youth, mind the joints, don't run on concrete-swim, cycle, use cross/elliptical trainer.
    On short journeys, walk instead of car.
    Use the stairs instead of lifts.
    Join a gym.
    Do some weight training but also some stretching/yoga for flexibility and cardio for stamina/heart health.
    Exercise classes are not just for women, exercise to music can be motivating /addictive.

If motivation is a problem try joining a walking group, running club, join a gym with a friend. A social side to exercise may keep one motivated.
    And if joining a gym in January don't stop by February but keeo going through the year.
    Best advise here and if applied slowly and not all in one go then it can be sustained
    Remember the gym can start once you leave the front door of the house

" WE ARE CONNACHT "

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willie wacker For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (28-12-15), Rocker123 (28-12-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker123 View Post
    Looking for recommendations here. I have this friend you see ..... Cough.......He needs to loose a bit of weight and get fit. What is the best way for a guy in his 50's who is carrying a few .... Ok ..... a good few extra Kilos and isn't very sporty or active to do this...... My friend ..... Cough..... Would like to know....

All suggestions welcome.....

I've tried them all- from juice diets to extreme gym routines but the best thing I've ever done is the 'food maximising' idea of slimming world!
    join online or if you have the balls go join a group

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker123 View Post
    Looking for recommendations here. I have this friend you see ..... Cough.......He needs to loose a bit of weight and get fit. What is the best way for a guy in his 50's who is carrying a few .... Ok ..... a good few extra Kilos and isn't very sporty or active to do this...... My friend ..... Cough..... Would like to know....

All suggestions welcome.....
    Dukan diet. If kept properly, it helps you lose a lot of weight. Xxx but I'm sure your friend is okay xxxx stay safe darling
    [B][I]Life is too short for bad coffee and bad sex.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cable87 View Post
    That most of 'the battle' is fought in the kitchen, NOT in the gym!
    Yep, it really is all done in the kitchen. There's a reason any seasoned bodybuilder will tell you that you build a 6-pack in the kitchen, and not in the gym.

To share my own experience, I managed to lose 15kg when I started paying attention to what I was eating. A simple calorie deficit was enough in that case. This year then, I started on a Ketogenic diet and lost another 5/6kg. My bodyfat is gone so low now that my abs actually show. It makes a beautiful change from being borderline obese!

So if the dedication is there, it can be done, and done very easily.
    Last edited by Zealot7; 28-12-15 at 15:06.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zealot7 For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (28-12-15), tom sand (29-12-15)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345