Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Damn Yanks. Now they are messing with Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    xxx xxx

Hershey's Rules !!

Yum yum xx
    Have to say, Having tried hersheys, I didn't like it at all, same with american coffee, not as nice as european.

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    Have to say, Having tried hersheys, I didn't like it at all, same with american coffee, not as nice as european.
    totally agree, it has a artificial sweetener taste, cant beat 70% coco. I've done extensive research!

Quote Originally Posted by justfrank44 View Post
    Each to their own

It's a wonderful world !!
    I do what I want. I cannot do otherwise.

Reviews

Some of the nicest chocolate I have tried lately was from Poland.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (04-11-15)

Quote Originally Posted by bjornagain View Post
    totally agree, it has a artificial sweetener taste, cant beat 70% coco. I've done extensive research!
    Boo boo !!

Hershey's has been around for a 100 (?) years !!?

It's only in the last ten yrs or less that specialry chocolates became vogue ! 60% , 70% , 90% Cocoa !!

Chocolate with Chillies , hey !!! Or with Mint ; or with Orange ; etc.

Still : Old School , simple , Hershey's Kisses !! Yum yum xx

7. Default

In fearness the soya ones are the nicest

Boo boo !!

Hershey's has been around for a 100 (?) years !!?

It's only in the last ten yrs or less that specialry chocolates became vogue ! 60% , 70% , 90% Cocoa !!

Chocolate with Chillies , hey !!! Or with Mint ; or with Orange ; etc.

Still : Old School , simple , Hershey's Kisses !! Yum yum xx
    If there is one thing I do know, and that is my chocolate, and Im far from alone from thinking Hershey is the MacDonald's of the Chocolate world

Many people said that they would no longer purchase Hershey's products, as many believe that the taste of British chocolate such as Cadburys etc. was much superior to that of American chocolate such as Hershey's in particular and many called for a boycott of Hershey's products. A petition protesting Hershey's lawsuit has gained over 35,000 signatures as of 16 February 2015. An owner of a 7/11 in a Boston neighborhood with heavy Irish immigrant presence said that he would stop carrying Hershey products in his store, as have other stores across the country.

Criticism[edit]
    Cocoa Purchase[edit]
    Hershey has been criticized for not having programs to ensure sustainable and ethical cocoa purchase, lagging behind its competitors in fair trade measures.[39] Regarding Hershey's corporate practices, the Global Exchange report comments that:

Hershey has no policies in place to purchase cocoa that has been produced without the use of labor exploitation, and the company has consistently refused to provide public information about its cocoa sources. Additionally, Hershey has made no move to shift to third-party certification for the cocoa that it sources from West Africa. No information is available from Hershey about how the money it has invested in various programs in West Africa has actually impacted reductions in forced, trafficked, and child labor among the suppliers of its cocoa. Finally, Hershey's efforts to further cut costs in its cocoa production has led to a reduction in good jobs in the United States.[40]

The "Raise the Bar, Hershey!" campaign was launched in September 2010 by Global Exchange, Green America. the Oasis Trust, and the International Labor Rights Forum. The purpose of the Raise the Bar Campaign is to pressure Hershey to commit "to take immediate action to eliminate forced and child labor … from Hershey’s cocoa supply"; "to sourcing 100% Fair Trade Certified™ cocoa beans by 2012 for at least one of its top five selling chocolate bars … making at least one additional top five selling bar 100% Fair Trade Certified™ every two years thereafter"; and that "the majority of Hershey’s cocoa across all products will be Fair Trade Certified™ by 2022." Pressure was particularly directed at Whole Foods Market, which announced on October 3, 2012 that it would cease carrying Hershey's Scharffen Berger line.[41] The Campaign stated that "Whole Foods’ decision follows more than 40 natural food retailers and coops publicly expressing concern about carrying Scharffen Berger and Dagoba products as a consequence of the giant chocolate maker’s refusal to address child labor in its supply chain."[41] The same day, Hershey's announced that "it will source 100 percent certified cocoa for its global chocolate product lines by 2020 and accelerate its programs to help eliminate child labor in the cocoa regions of West Africa."[42]

Use of foreign student labor[edit]
    In August 2011, the main distribution center for Hershey candies was subjected to a strike by about 400[43] young foreign workers brought to the United States under the J1 "cultural exchange" visa program. The center in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, was run for Hershey by Exel based in Ohio.[44] Exel in turn subcontracted the staffing of the center to another firm SHS OnSite Solutions based in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania. The students were recruited by yet another organization called the Council on Educational Travel (CETUSA).[45]

To the students, CETUSA promised:

You will gain valuable work and life experience, expand your resume, improve your English, have opportunity to travel in the U.S., make great memories and form lasting relationships. No matter where you end up in the U.S., your Work and Travel Program is sure to be a summer you will never forget![45]

The students paid CETUSA up to $6,000 to participate in the program. The students came from countries such as Costa Rica, China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Poland, and Romania.[46] One said, "I spent some of the worst moments of my life during that exchange."[47]

In February 2012, press reports indicated that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined Exel $283,000. The company failed to report 42 serious injuries in the period from 2008 to 2011. The agency found that Exel had deliberately failed to meet reporting requirements. Hershey spokesmen pointed out the Hershey Corporation was not cited, just the company they hired to run its operations in the Hershey-owned facility.[48]

In November 2012, the federal government fined the three contractors $143,000 and charged them for unpaid wages, an amount totaling $356,000. The Hershey company refused to answer questions concerning the settlement, only referring reporters to the contractors.[49]

Lawsuit over Importation of British Chocolate[edit]
    Hershey's filed a lawsuit against Let's Buy British Imports, and Posh Nosh Imports because of the aforementioned companies importation of Nestlé's Yorkie, and Toffee Crisp, for Hershey's claim of alleged resemblance to York Peppermint Patties and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, respectively; despite the fact that Hershey's and Nestlé's respective products are different types of candy. Hershey also claimed that import of original British Rolo by Nestlé violated its licensed rights to the Rolo brand in the US, and sought the end of importation of Rolo into the US.

Hershey's also sought the halting of the importation of British, South African, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander, and all other Cadbury brand chocolate other than Hershey's licensed chocolate product produced in the US and marketed under the Cadbury brand name. Hershey's claimed that the importers, LBB Importers and Posh Nosh, were infringing on their rights to the Cadbury brand name in the US due to their licensing agreement with Cadbury, a division of Mondelez.

In addition, Hershey's claimed that the two importers needed to stop importing Mars's Maltesers malted milk balls because Hershey's makes their own malted milk balls under the Maltesers name. Hershey's itself has been sued by Mars for violating Mars' trademark and rights to Maltesers, Mars has said that Hershey's has copied Maltesers brand, packaging, and products; that lawsuit has not settled as of 16 February 2015.

In January 2015, Hershey's lawsuit against Let's Buy British Imports and Posh Nosh Imports was dropped, and the two importers agreed to stop importing non-licensed original Cadbury chocolate, Nestlé's Yorkie chocolate and Toffee Crisp, and Maltesers. This decision was immediately met with immense backlash and controversy against Hershey. Many people said that they would no longer purchase Hershey's products, as many believe that the taste of British chocolate such as Cadburys etc. was much superior to that of American chocolate such as Hershey's in particular and many called for a boycott of Hershey's products. A petition protesting Hershey's lawsuit has gained over 35,000 signatures as of 16 February 2015. An owner of a 7/11 in a Boston neighborhood with heavy Irish immigrant presence said that he would stop carrying Hershey products in his store, as have other stores across the country. Some people purchased hundreds of the mentioned products with news of the lawsuit. The lawsuit does not prevent other importers of the chocolates from importing them as they were not mentioned in the lawsuit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bjornagain For This Useful Post:

alcatel (08-11-15)

Reviews

I thought hersheys tasted synthetic, Hard to beat bournville dark chocolate.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to justfrank44 For This Useful Post:

SteveB (05-11-15)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bjornagain View Post
    If there is one thing I do know, and that is my chocolate, and Im far from alone from thinking Hershey is the MacDonald's of the Chocolate world

Many people said that they would no longer purchase Hershey's products, as many believe that the taste of British chocolate such as Cadburys etc. was much superior to that of American chocolate such as Hershey's in particular and many called for a boycott of Hershey's products. A petition protesting Hershey's lawsuit has gained over 35,000 signatures as of 16 February 2015. An owner of a 7/11 in a Boston neighborhood with heavy Irish immigrant presence said that he would stop carrying Hershey products in his store, as have other stores across the country.

Criticism[edit]
    Cocoa Purchase[edit]
    Hershey has been criticized for not having programs to ensure sustainable and ethical cocoa purchase, lagging behind its competitors in fair trade measures.[39] Regarding Hershey's corporate practices, the Global Exchange report comments that:

Hershey has no policies in place to purchase cocoa that has been produced without the use of labor exploitation, and the company has consistently refused to provide public information about its cocoa sources. Additionally, Hershey has made no move to shift to third-party certification for the cocoa that it sources from West Africa. No information is available from Hershey about how the money it has invested in various programs in West Africa has actually impacted reductions in forced, trafficked, and child labor among the suppliers of its cocoa. Finally, Hershey's efforts to further cut costs in its cocoa production has led to a reduction in good jobs in the United States.[40]

The "Raise the Bar, Hershey!" campaign was launched in September 2010 by Global Exchange, Green America. the Oasis Trust, and the International Labor Rights Forum. The purpose of the Raise the Bar Campaign is to pressure Hershey to commit "to take immediate action to eliminate forced and child labor … from Hershey’s cocoa supply"; "to sourcing 100% Fair Trade Certified™ cocoa beans by 2012 for at least one of its top five selling chocolate bars … making at least one additional top five selling bar 100% Fair Trade Certified™ every two years thereafter"; and that "the majority of Hershey’s cocoa across all products will be Fair Trade Certified™ by 2022." Pressure was particularly directed at Whole Foods Market, which announced on October 3, 2012 that it would cease carrying Hershey's Scharffen Berger line.[41] The Campaign stated that "Whole Foods’ decision follows more than 40 natural food retailers and coops publicly expressing concern about carrying Scharffen Berger and Dagoba products as a consequence of the giant chocolate maker’s refusal to address child labor in its supply chain."[41] The same day, Hershey's announced that "it will source 100 percent certified cocoa for its global chocolate product lines by 2020 and accelerate its programs to help eliminate child labor in the cocoa regions of West Africa."[42]

Use of foreign student labor[edit]
    In August 2011, the main distribution center for Hershey candies was subjected to a strike by about 400[43] young foreign workers brought to the United States under the J1 "cultural exchange" visa program. The center in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, was run for Hershey by Exel based in Ohio.[44] Exel in turn subcontracted the staffing of the center to another firm SHS OnSite Solutions based in Lemoyne, Pennsylvania. The students were recruited by yet another organization called the Council on Educational Travel (CETUSA).[45]

To the students, CETUSA promised:

You will gain valuable work and life experience, expand your resume, improve your English, have opportunity to travel in the U.S., make great memories and form lasting relationships. No matter where you end up in the U.S., your Work and Travel Program is sure to be a summer you will never forget![45]

The students paid CETUSA up to $6,000 to participate in the program. The students came from countries such as Costa Rica, China, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Poland, and Romania.[46] One said, "I spent some of the worst moments of my life during that exchange."[47]

In February 2012, press reports indicated that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration fined Exel $283,000. The company failed to report 42 serious injuries in the period from 2008 to 2011. The agency found that Exel had deliberately failed to meet reporting requirements. Hershey spokesmen pointed out the Hershey Corporation was not cited, just the company they hired to run its operations in the Hershey-owned facility.[48]

In November 2012, the federal government fined the three contractors $143,000 and charged them for unpaid wages, an amount totaling $356,000. The Hershey company refused to answer questions concerning the settlement, only referring reporters to the contractors.[49]

Lawsuit over Importation of British Chocolate[edit]
    Hershey's filed a lawsuit against Let's Buy British Imports, and Posh Nosh Imports because of the aforementioned companies importation of Nestlé's Yorkie, and Toffee Crisp, for Hershey's claim of alleged resemblance to York Peppermint Patties and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, respectively; despite the fact that Hershey's and Nestlé's respective products are different types of candy. Hershey also claimed that import of original British Rolo by Nestlé violated its licensed rights to the Rolo brand in the US, and sought the end of importation of Rolo into the US.

Hershey's also sought the halting of the importation of British, South African, Canadian, Australian, New Zealander, and all other Cadbury brand chocolate other than Hershey's licensed chocolate product produced in the US and marketed under the Cadbury brand name. Hershey's claimed that the importers, LBB Importers and Posh Nosh, were infringing on their rights to the Cadbury brand name in the US due to their licensing agreement with Cadbury, a division of Mondelez.

In addition, Hershey's claimed that the two importers needed to stop importing Mars's Maltesers malted milk balls because Hershey's makes their own malted milk balls under the Maltesers name. Hershey's itself has been sued by Mars for violating Mars' trademark and rights to Maltesers, Mars has said that Hershey's has copied Maltesers brand, packaging, and products; that lawsuit has not settled as of 16 February 2015.

In January 2015, Hershey's lawsuit against Let's Buy British Imports and Posh Nosh Imports was dropped, and the two importers agreed to stop importing non-licensed original Cadbury chocolate, Nestlé's Yorkie chocolate and Toffee Crisp, and Maltesers. This decision was immediately met with immense backlash and controversy against Hershey. Many people said that they would no longer purchase Hershey's products, as many believe that the taste of British chocolate such as Cadburys etc. was much superior to that of American chocolate such as Hershey's in particular and many called for a boycott of Hershey's products. A petition protesting Hershey's lawsuit has gained over 35,000 signatures as of 16 February 2015. An owner of a 7/11 in a Boston neighborhood with heavy Irish immigrant presence said that he would stop carrying Hershey products in his store, as have other stores across the country. Some people purchased hundreds of the mentioned products with news of the lawsuit. The lawsuit does not prevent other importers of the chocolates from importing them as they were not mentioned in the lawsuit.
    You put a lot of effort into this ^^^ x

: I grew up with it .

: deal with it x

Reviews

And I bet you won't mind that one single bit xx
    What dress, all your wearing looks so sexy on you Ms

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnSund2 For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (08-11-15)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast