Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "She" word......

Reviews

Default The "She" word......

The word "She".

Why do some women have a problem with it?

"On his way home from work, Brian went to the shop to buy milk. He also bought a newspaper" is as far as I know correct grammer.

so is

"On her way home from work, Mary went to the shop to buy milk. She also bought a newspaper".

I had occasion to use the word "She" while in conversation with someone today and I was promptly reminded by the woman to never call her "She" again. WHY?? WTF?
    The context was something like this. I was speaking to someone as we were leaving a meeting with "Mary" within earshot and in reply to a query I said:

"Yes, Mary took the minutes of the meeting so she will circulate a copy to everyone later."

Now if I said "Yes, Mary took the minutes of the meeting so Mary will circulate a copy to everyone later." it would in my opinion be bad grammer. I was taught to not repeat a personal noun in the same sentence or the sentence immediately following.

and if I said "she (with a sideways look to indicate who I was referring to) took the minutes of the meeting so she will circulate a copy to everyone later." I would understand that to be demeaning.

I really don't understand why some women have as issue with the correct use of the word "She" .. in a sentence in which you have already referred to the woman by her name. So can any one enlighten me?

I mean would any woman here object to this sentence in a review. "I met Maya yesterday and she was lovely".(Obviously if your name isn't Maya then you would be pissed!)

So come on ladies ... help me out here.

and lads, have you ever gotten into trouble using the "she" word?

Last edited by Rocker123; 29-10-15 at 00:55.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rocker123 For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (29-10-15), SophieX (29-10-15), The dirt bird (29-10-15)

Reviews

Best just to say " her indoors "

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zoozoozoo For This Useful Post:

INVISABLE500 (29-10-15), lildick (29-10-15), Rocker123 (29-10-15)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker123 View Post
    The word "She".

Why do some women have a problem with it?

"On his way home from work, Brian went to the shop to buy milk. He also bought a newspaper" is as far as I know correct grammer.

so is

"On her way home from work, Mary went to the shop to buy milk. She also bought a newspaper".

I had occasion to use the word "She" while in conversation with someone today and I was promptly reminded by the woman to never call her "She" again. WHY?? WTF?
    The context was something like this. I was speaking to someone as we were leaving a meeting with "Mary" within earshot and in reply to a query I said:

"Yes, Mary took the minutes of the meeting so she will circulate a copy to everyone later."

Now if I said "Yes, Mary took the minutes of the meeting so Mary will circulate a copy to everyone later." it would in my opinion be bad grammer. I was taught to not repeat a personal noun in the same sentence or the sentence immediately following.

and if I said "she (with a sideways look to indicate who I was referring to) took the minutes of the meeting so she will circulate a copy to everyone later." I would understand that to be demeaning.

I really don't understand why some women have as issue with the correct use of the word "She" .. in a sentence in which you have already referred to the woman by her name. So can any one enlighten me?

I mean would any woman here object to this sentence in a review. "I met Maya yesterday and she was lovely".(Obviously if your name isn't Maya then you would be pissed!)

So come on ladies ... help me out here.

At a guess I'd say women are suspect of our reasons for saying 'she', 'her', 'yer wan' etc. Guys have a tendency to forget names and use placeholders like that, women generally don't, even for ugly guys. I suspect when a woman does that she's checking to see if you can remember the girl's name.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Anderson For This Useful Post:

Rocker123 (29-10-15)

Reviews

Not yet — but I'm sure its only a matter of time
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Petros For This Useful Post:

Rocker123 (29-10-15)

Reviews

You on the bottle again Rocker...

I'll always remember my mother correcting me with "She is the devils wife!!" if ever I referred to some lady as "She"... Never quite understood that expression at the time...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JAMESCORK For This Useful Post:

Mister Anderson (29-10-15), Rocker123 (29-10-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESCORK View Post
    I'll always remember my mother correcting me with "She is the devils wife!!" if ever I referred to some lady as "She"... Never quite understood that expression at the time...
    Something on the lines of "She is the cats Mother" another expression I couldn't really understand!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petros For This Useful Post:

Mister Anderson (29-10-15), Rocker123 (29-10-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Petros View Post
    Something on the lines of "She is the cats Mother" another expression I couldn't really understand!
    Actually I see what you mean... much more confusing to a young mind...

I mean, whereas I could cope with being the devils wife... the cats mother?.. that's just weird...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAMESCORK For This Useful Post:

Petros (29-10-15), Rocker123 (29-10-15)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Yup. Also that whole thing with kids and goats. I'm obviously not calling your child a goat so WTF lady?!?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Anderson For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (29-10-15)

Reviews

I wish. Long overdue a night out.... My mother has a similar expression!
    Last edited by Rocker123; 29-10-15 at 02:06.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocker123 For This Useful Post:

JAMESCORK (29-10-15)

Reviews

I wish. Long overdue a night out.... My mother has a similar expression!
    Tis true... and it nearly Christmas and all...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast