Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who said there's no such thing as bad publicity?

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Question Who said there's no such thing as bad publicity?

I came across this article over the weekend, which shows that careers and reputations can be ruined by bad publicity.
    It seems like John Leslie came out of it all with his dignity intact, if nothing else, but it just goes to show how easily situations can change.

"Edinburgh-born broadcaster John Leslie’s big break came in 1989 when he became the new Blue Peter presenter.
    High-profile, lucrative stints on Wheel of Fortune and This Morning followed before his arrest for rape and indecent assault in 2002 shattered his reputation.
    The charges were eventually dropped but with his career and finances in tatters he returned to his home town, where he lives alone close to his parents
    and presents a weekday show for an Edinburgh radio station."

How did your childhood experience influence your attitude to money?
    My attitude to money was subliminally fed to me by my mum and dad, who were both grafters. I may not have realised the value of money growing up
    but I realised the value of work. My parents had a newsagent’s and were up really early every day working to provide a comfortable home environment
    for my brother and me. I worked as early as I could as it was instilled in us how important it was to earn your own wage as soon as you could,
    so I did a paper round for my dad and a milk round, too, for some pocket money.

We didn’t really have much money and took British holidays to Butlins, but we never lacked for anything. We went to a good school and money just wasn’t
    really an issue in the house. And even today money isn’t an important factor in my life. The only time money has had an impact on my life was when I didn’t
    have any when I lost it all. Then I realised how important money was just to survive and to do basic things that you usually took for granted.

Are you a spender or a saver?
    A spender. If I’ve got it, I’ll spend it. I’ve never had a business brain when it comes to money. I’ve learnt so much in the past 10 years after what’s happened.
    Now I can see how money can make money and how people are driven to make more money.

How much did you get paid for your first regular work?
    While I was still at school I took a part-time evening job selling programmes at Edinburgh’s Playhouse Theatre for acts like Bruce Springsteen, Shirley Bassey
    and the Jam, and on a good night I’d make £40, which felt like a fortune. During the summer holidays when I was about 16 or 17 I used to DJ at the local roller disco,
    which became a nightclub at night. With the money I made from those gigs I bought enough records to start DJing at weddings and 18th birthdays.
    I was making about £100 a week, then I entered a national DJing competition, where I was spotted by a company that employed DJs in foreign hotels.
    I was actually training to be a piano technician at the time and still living at home, but I gave that up when I was offered £1,000 a month plus free
    accommodation and food and drink to DJ in a five-star hotel in Denmark.

That was a game changer for me. I then started DJing for bigger and bigger clubs back in Britain and was earning about £1,000 a week for Mecca Leisure,
    DJing at their clubs. My television break came when I warmed up the audience for a Tyne Tees television pop show and was asked to make a “showreel”,
    which I sent to ITV (LSE: ITV.L - news) , the BBC and satellite channel Music Box, and moved down to London to present an Eighties music magazine
    show called Formula One for them.

Then about a year later, in 1989, out of the blue the BBC called me in for an audition, which ended up in me getting the job on Blue Peter .
    Salary wise I earned £16,800, so I actually took a £10,000 pay cut, but I knew it was a good opportunity.

Were your later presenting jobs with commercial channels more lucrative?
    I did a bizarre but short-lived big-budget Gladiators-style show called Scavengers in 1994 and earned £15,000 an episode. That was when I realised I was
    earning decent money. In 1998 I started presenting Wheel of Fortune , where I was originally filming three shows a week for £2,000 a show, but when
    Who Wants To Be a Millionaire? arrived the format changed and I was filming five shows a day for £2,000 in total just to keep the show alive.
    But I did end up doing 735 episodes over three years, so at that point I was earning about £200,000 a year, which went up even more when I started
    presenting This Morning in 2001 with Fern Britton. At the peak I was earning about £350,000 a year.

Did you spend wildly at this point or invest sensibly?
    I bought a lovely house in Barnes, south-west London, which I’d originally planned to move into a year before with Catherine Zeta-Jones when we were together.
    It was an old, detached Gothic coach house built in 1752 but it was a wreck, so I probably spent about £400,000 doing it up, then sold it for £1m. I then used
    everything I had to buy a plot of land overlooking Richmond Park. I put everything into building the house and enjoyed it for about a year. Before the market
    crashed its value peaked at £4m. The plan was that the house would be my pension but obviously that wasn’t to be.

And then in December 2002, several weeks after Matthew Wright accidentally identified you on Channel 5 as the unnamed 'acquaintance’ who Ulrika Jonsson
    claimed had raped her in her autobiography, you were arrested on several sexual charges and everything changed.

I lost everything overnight. ITV said I’d forfeited the right to have my contract paid up and the whole thing was a mess. Everything around me was on fire and
    it was a hell of a place to be, and money just wasn’t at the top of my list of considerations.
    It was about maintaining my innocence [the charges were dropped in July 2003]. I’d gone from earning over £300,000 to not a single penny coming in. And I also
    started having to pay for lawyers and PR agencies, so any savings I had disappeared. I spend about £500,000 on legal costs but at least I wasn’t in jail.

Lord McAlpine was awarded £185,000 by the BBC after it made false child abuse allegations against him. Did you not attempt to win compensation when your
    case was thrown out?

One of my biggest regrets was not suing the newspapers and Channel 5, but I was advised at the time that if I sued the television companies they would never
    touch me again. I took the advice but the phone never rang. But I just about survived and at least I had a life to rebuild.

How did you survive financially after your career collapsed so suddenly?
    I had to sell absolutely everything to avoid bankruptcy and to avoid going on reality television shows, which I didn’t want to do.
    I pleaded with the bank to let me keep the Richmond house but was forced to sell it for £3.5m when the crash hit and the bank wanted its money back.
    I paid them back every penny but there was nothing left. I thought I was going to get out with some money but I sold at the worst time.
    I managed to get a mortgage by hook or by crook to buy a house next door to my mum and dad’s house in Edinburgh for £110,000 and that was my lot.

From then I’ve been rebuilding my life. I couldn’t get a job for four years, then eventually I got a job DJing in a local club for £400 a week, which just kept me afloat.
    Then, after doing some community radio work, I started working for Radio Forth and now I’ve got a year’s contract to do the afternoon show from Monday to Friday,
    so hopefully that’ll be renewed.

Does money make you happy?
    Other things are more important to me, like my sanity and surviving and staying healthy and looking after my mum and dad.
    What impact has having a daughter had on your financial outlook?
    My daughter is nine now, so I’ve bought some shares in Royal Mail (LSE: RMG.L - news) , I’ve got a pension and I’m looking at making sure there will be savings
    for Isabelle, but it’s a slow process. I’m starting from the ground up.

During the good times did you ever overindulge financially?
    My only money pit is my Mercedes (Xetra: 710000 - news) 1969 280 SL Pagoda, which I bought for about £18,000 20 years ago and have probably spent
    the same on maintaining it. It’s about the only thing that has survived from those days but I was determined not to sell it.
    The parties at my house were ridiculous, too. The bar was always fully stocked and nobody ever paid for anything. I couldn’t put an exact figure on it
    but I must have spent tens of thousands on providing drinks for people. At the time I just though it was the thing to do.

Do you gamble?
    No. I’ve never met a rich gambler.

What do you like least about money?
    How it changes people. I’m very much a people person and I see people who are totally driven by money and getting even more money. I don’t think it makes
    them happier though. Money gives you options but it doesn’t necessarily make you happier. And if you’ve got a lot of time on your hands it can be quite destructive.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady
    Sexy, Wicked, Enticing, Erotic, Tease

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

cormac12345 (05-10-15), Curvaceous Kate (05-10-15), emmasweet (07-10-15), get20 (05-10-15), hornylimerick (09-10-15), Irish Sarah (05-10-15), Klittyliker (05-10-15), mature abby (05-10-15), Melindablondey (05-10-15), Stephanie (07-10-15), The dirt bird (05-10-15), tom sand (06-10-15)

Reviews

Great post, interesting reading.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The dirt bird For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (07-10-15), Forrest (05-10-15)

Reviews

Michael Barrymore tv career was also destroyed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/cele...en-centre.html

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony1 For This Useful Post:

cormac12345 (05-10-15), Forrest (05-10-15)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by tony1 View Post

Yeah, I had forgotten about Michael Barrymore. The press have a great way of building up reputations, and destroying them too.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

cormac12345 (05-10-15), emmasweet (07-10-15), tony1 (05-10-15)

Blog Entries

About 20 years ago now I made friends with a very attractive Scottish lass who told me she had dated him while he was a DJ. She seemed to think he was nice enough. I guess it's a case of what doesn't break you makes you and he certainly got to experience that one first hand. We'll never know what really happened, but I doubt it was a case of straight forward rape, in the 'I'm taking it regardless' sense.

The old adage of 'If in doubt, leave it out' springs to mind.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Curvaceous Kate For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (06-10-15), cormac12345 (05-10-15), emmasweet (07-10-15), Forrest (05-10-15), Melindablondey (05-10-15), Tompussycat (06-10-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by tony1 View Post

always liked him. shame he got shafted(no pun intended)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cormac12345 For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (07-10-15), Forrest (05-10-15)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Curvaceous Kate View Post
    About 20 years ago now I made friends with a very attractive Scottish lass who told me she had dated him while he was a DJ. She seemed to think he was nice enough. I guess it's a case of what doesn't break you makes you and he certainly got to experience that one first hand. We'll never know what really happened, but I doubt it was a case of straight forward rape, in the 'I'm taking it regardless' sense.

He always seemed like a decent bloke, and has taken it very well based on that interview.
    It can be hard to judge celebrities as to their honest to goodness niceness. Rolf Harris always seemed like a normal, decent, family man,
    whereas Jimmy Saville always came across as a nutjob sleazeball, and the allegations never surprised me one bit.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

Curvaceous Kate (05-10-15), emmasweet (07-10-15), Tompussycat (06-10-15), TonyB (05-10-15)

Blog Entries
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    Who said there's no such thing as bad publicity?

Succès de scandale is French for "success from scandal", i.e. when (part of) a success derives from a scandal.

Belle Époque Paris appears to have had exactly the right climate for succès de scandale (which is probably also the reason why this is where the term originated): in all examples below, regarding famous artists kicking off their career with some sort of scandal, there are at least some connections with turn of the 20th century Paris. In other cities, provoking a scandal appeared more risky, as Oscar Wilde found out shortly after his relatively "successful" Parisian scandal (Salomé — 1894, portraying the main character as a necrophile).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succ%C3%A8s_de_scandale
    It is true that a lot of people make a career out of bad publicity, and thrive on it, but there are occasions when bad publicity can finish a career.

Engaging Personality
    Mesmerising Eyes
    Magnificent Ass
    Adorable Lady

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:

emmasweet (07-10-15)

Reviews

freddie starr had similar problem

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk...-after-3505850

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Curvaceous Kate View Post

Problem with alot of actresses. They know full well how to use their sexual progress to get ahead. If when negotiating to get a head it goes well, then they're a regular Dame Mirren if not going well but they've given it up anyways then it turns into some Bill Cosby shit aka I slept with that guy but didn't get the part so it must be rape. Le sigh.
    I'm not saying there aren't true victims out there but seriously...actress...Jeezus.
    Last edited by Cassandra; 06-10-15 at 20:54.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Cassandra For This Useful Post:

Forrest (07-10-15)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast