Thread: Straight out of Compton- A suburanites Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Straight out of Compton- A suburanites Review

With biographies the risk is often run of makeing a legend out of the subject or else of failing entirely to convey the importance of what they were doing. Not so with Gary Gray's piece. Dare I say this is one of the few films based on true events that reveals it's subject's warts and all.

rating 4/5 I liked it

Q: y'all?

What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cassandra For This Useful Post:

Cable87 (17-09-15), nonpareil (17-09-15), Stephanie (20-09-15), xagerate (17-09-15)

Reviews

Indeed, saw it a few weeks ago when I was Stateside, well worth the ticket.
    Fighting the Good Fight...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cable87 For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (17-09-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    With biographies the risk is often run of makeing a legend out of the subject or else of failing entirely to convey the importance of what they were doing. Not so with Gary Gray's piece. Dare I say this is one of the few films based on true events that reveals it's subject's warts and all.

rating 4/5 I liked it

It's a good film and I'm glad I watched it as Straight Outta Compton is one of my all time favourite albums. But "warts and all" is very far from the truth, there isn't a single mention of Deep Barnes (even though F. Gary Grey was her camera man on Pump It Up!), Dre's former partner partner or why she really left him.
    Not to mention how he really left Death Row. At most Straight Outta Compton is a very biased sugary version of what happened.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zoidberg For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (17-09-15), Naughtynatalie (18-09-15)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    It's a good film and I'm glad I watched it as Straight Outta Compton is one of my all time favourite albums. But "warts and all" is very far from the truth, there isn't a single mention of Deep Barnes (even though F. Gary Grey was her camera man on Pump It Up!), Dre's former partner partner or why she really left him.
    Not to mention how he really left Death Row. At most Straight Outta Compton is a very biased sugary version of what happened.
    the story of hip hops rise is that of one thing. The story of black women whilst important goes back further and with no disrespect to Dee Barnes given the M.O of rap groups such as N.W.A what sort f representation did she expect? That's an entirely different story which deserves it's pwn telling and if she was on her grind top get it told instead of just riding this films' coat tails I'd have so much more repect for her.
    What if "It's Raining Men" and 'Let the bodies hit the floor' are both about the same event but from different perspectives 🤔

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
    the death row thing could make a film in its own right
    there has been a few books released about it

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marijuana For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (18-09-15), Naughtynatalie (18-09-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post

rating 4/5 I liked it

the warts where well hidden
    there is plenty missing from it

2pac didnt do California love until 96 but the film says 94
    also there was domestic voilance /general voilance that was left out
    the chronic wasnt even mentioned
    the doc wasnt mentioned

it was good but the was alot missing form it
    Last edited by marijuana; 18-09-15 at 01:13.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marijuana For This Useful Post:

Cassandra (18-09-15), Naughtynatalie (18-09-15)