Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Come back 'dial-up', all is forgiven!

1. Default Come back 'dial-up', all is forgiven!

Having a rant now - when we took this house on, the agent's particulars said 'broadband included'. Happy days! Or so we thought.

We move in & not only is there no broadband, there's not even a feckin phone line & we can't get broadband through satellite because 'there's no line of sight to the transmitter'. WTF?!

So here we are, stuck with a feckin dongle which after 3 weeks has decided actually, it can't be bloody bothered any more and I've spent more time rebooting & watching the little wheels go round as I have actually doing anything constructive

Pissed off is not the word! How the hell am I supposed to run an online business with such a shite internet connection? Bloody dial up was quicker, I feel like I've stepped back in time about 10 years.

Any ideas welcome, so long as they don't include 'moving house'! lol
    Highly experienced English Dominatrix, now in Wexford!
    Visit my website or call on 083 843 6776
    By prior appointment only

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady Constance For This Useful Post:

hitman76 (01-08-15), Ladyvonteese (01-08-15), Melindablondey (02-08-15), tom sand (01-08-15)

Blog Entries

Oh, sweetie believe me that is nothing compared to the time warp situation your going to find yourself in the longer you stay but as for the internet connection honey its always best to bring the lap top with dongle, phones with you before moving anywhere to check their is a good signal in that area in Ireland.

There is so many places it will not pick up or you'll just keep losing the signal, this includes all manner of businesses such as hotel, restaurants etc and not just apartments and houses around the country. So when your touring it could be the case of sorting everything at once for your business in some places around the country.

But try moving around the property as some times it may work in one room but not in others. Hope you get it sorted.

Lady Von Teese

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Constance View Post
    Having a rant now - when we took this house on, the agent's particulars said 'broadband included'. Happy days! Or so we thought.

We move in & not only is there no broadband, there's not even a feckin phone line & we can't get broadband through satellite because 'there's no line of sight to the transmitter'. WTF?!

So here we are, stuck with a feckin dongle which after 3 weeks has decided actually, it can't be bloody bothered any more and I've spent more time rebooting & watching the little wheels go round as I have actually doing anything constructive

Pissed off is not the word! How the hell am I supposed to run an online business with such a shite internet connection? Bloody dial up was quicker, I feel like I've stepped back in time about 10 years.

Any ideas welcome, so long as they don't include 'moving house'! lol
    Now in London check out my new photos, over 200 free to view

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ladyvonteese For This Useful Post:

Lady Constance (02-08-15), Melindablondey (02-08-15), tom sand (01-08-15)

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    Jeez I couldn't live with less then 100mg.
    100mg ? What are you tonight ?

Back on topic , Vodafone have the best mobile broadband coverage at the moment .

Stay away from the small USB dongle as you are restricted in its location , get the larger device , position for best signal and tether to it . Look for "mobile WiFi" and not "stick modem". Then take it with you on your travels .

Quote Originally Posted by spur View Post
    Tell the agent that you are going to hold back part of the rent until they sort out the broadband.If it was advertised as you said it was you have a right to do this.Only way an agent will sort out a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playitsam View Post
    100mg ? What are you tonight ?

Back on topic , Vodafone have the best mobile broadband coverage at the moment .

Stay away from the small USB dongle as you are restricted in its location , get the larger device , position for best signal and tether to it . Look for "mobile WiFi" and not "stick modem". Then take it with you on your travels .
    The agent should sort the problem or at the very least, discount the rent for false advertising.

Regarding Vodafone mobile, good advice regarding the device - you can have multiple devices connected at the same times and leave it plugged in wherever your best reception is, then connect to it over wifi.

However, don't just go out and get a Vodafone one. Three also do them and they are the company that cover the rural broadband scheme. In my part of the world (which sounds like yours ), fixed line is a no no, 'too far from an enabled exchange' and Vodafone coverage is non-existent. Three is brilliant there. But for you, it could be the other way round.
    And, as playitsam says, you can take it with you anywhere.

Simple test - what mobile phone provider do you use? What kind of 4G reception are you getting? (if any)

When you mention satellite and having no line of sight, I assume you are talking about UPC? Anything that needs line of sight is land based. As the ad says, if you can see the sky, you can get satellite broadband. It tends to be a little more expensive but there are a number of options, qsat and avonline.

You do have some options - feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can help with.

Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by irishdeltaforce View Post
    Jeez I couldn't live with less then 100mg.
    Think the lady is talking about broadband speed not your medication dosage IDF

Reviews

only can get up to 4mb here so usually its 2mb

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bropro View Post
    The agent should sort the problem or at the very least, discount the rent for false advertising.

Regarding Vodafone mobile, good advice regarding the device - you can have multiple devices connected at the same times and leave it plugged in wherever your best reception is, then connect to it over wifi.

However, don't just go out and get a Vodafone one. Three also do them and they are the company that cover the rural broadband scheme. In my part of the world (which sounds like yours ), fixed line is a no no, 'too far from an enabled exchange' and Vodafone coverage is non-existent. Three is brilliant there. But for you, it could be the other way round.
    And, as playitsam says, you can take it with you anywhere.

Simple test - what mobile phone provider do you use? What kind of 4G reception are you getting? (if any)

When you mention satellite and having no line of sight, I assume you are talking about UPC? Anything that needs line of sight is land based. As the ad says, if you can see the sky, you can get satellite broadband. It tends to be a little more expensive but there are a number of options, qsat and avonline.

You do have some options - feel free to PM me if you have any questions I can help with.

We thought about contacting the agent, but by the time we worked out what the problem was, their ad had been removed so we had no 'proof' of the false statement.

The gadget we have is from Three & we can have up to 5 devices connected at once. It was working fine, but has got steadily slower & now only seems to work properly in the mornings! lol

I have a 3 mobile, supposedly with unlimited data, but I can't get online with it at all, so I need to go back in to the shop with that too. Am relying on WiFi in town using my UK mobile :-(

I absolutely love Ireland, but it sucks balls when it comes to internet

The device you have is the one we were talking about alright.

I have heard some complaints from Three customers in certain areas since they took over O2 - must be to do with additional traffic on their network.

If your broadband is better in the morning than evening and you have no mobile data connection on the phone, (iPhone, is it?),then it sounds like you are really on the fringe of their 'coverage'.

The shop should be able to advise if they actually have someone who knows the area and knows what they are talking about. There are options - just a matter of getting the right one.

Any neighbours close by that you could enquire of??

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bropro View Post
    The device you have is the one we were talking about alright.

I have heard some complaints from Three customers in certain areas since they took over O2 - must be to do with additional traffic on their network.

If your broadband is better in the morning than evening and you have no mobile data connection on the phone, (iPhone, is it?),then it sounds like you are really on the fringe of their 'coverage'.

The shop should be able to advise if they actually have someone who knows the area and knows what they are talking about. There are options - just a matter of getting the right one.

Any neighbours close by that you could enquire of??

iPhone?! No luvvy, I have a proper phone lol (HTC One M8)

We are properly out in the sticks - nearest neighbour is a doddery old dear who probably doesnt know what internet is, bless her lol

Reviews

i'm on vodafone mobile dongle, getting 3mb but very unstable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast